• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How's the weather your way????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Heres what we have to look forward tooo for the next couple of days...... already floating here and here comes more :(

Special Weather Statements for Manitoba
WOCN11 CWWG 282022
UPDATED SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT ISSUED FOR REGIONS OF SOUTHERN
MANITOBA BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA AT 3:22 PM CDT TUESDAY 28 JUNE 2005.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT ISSUED FOR..
CITY OF WINNIPEG
STEINBACH - ST. ADOLPHE - DOMINION CITY - VITA - RICHER
DUGALD - BEAUSEJOUR - GRAND BEACH
SELKIRK - GIMLI - STONEWALL - WOODLANDS - ERIKSDALE
PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE - HEADINGLEY - BRUNKILD - CARMAN
MORDEN - WINKLER - ALTONA - EMERSON - MORRIS
BISSETT - NOPIMING PROVINCIAL PARK - PINE FALLS
WHITESHELL - LAC DU BONNET - PINAWA
BRANDON - CARBERRY - TREHERNE
KILLARNEY - PILOT MOUND - MANITOU
MELITA - BOISSEVAIN - TURTLE MOUNTAIN PROVINCIAL PARK
VIRDEN - SOURIS
MINNEDOSA - NEEPAWA - RUSSELL - RIDING MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
STE. ROSE - MCCREARY - ALONSA - GLADSTONE
DAUPHIN - ROBLIN - WINNIPEGOSIS
ARBORG - HECLA - FISHER RIVER - GYPSUMVILLE - ASHERN
BERENS RIVER - LITTLE GRAND RAPIDS - BLOODVEIN - ATIKAKI.

POSSIBLE HEAVY RAINFALL HEADING INTO AREAS OF SOUTHERN MANITOBA FOR
WEDNESDAY....

A DISTURBANCE CURRENTLY DEVELOPING OVER THE NORTHWESTERN U.S.
IS EXPECTED TO TRACK NORTHEASTWARD OVER THE NEXT 36 HOURS AND MOVE
INTO EASTERN NORTH DAKOTA BY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.
PRECIPITATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS DISTURBANCE IS FORECAST TO ENTER
WESTERN MANITOBA TONIGHT AND GRADUALLY SPREAD INTO THE REMAINDER OF
SOUTHERN MANITOBA ON WEDNESDAY.

THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL OF PRODUCING LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL
OVER PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN MANITOBA ON WEDNESDAY. WITH MOIST UNSTABLE
CONDITIONS SETTING UP OVER THE AREA, HEAVY SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS
WILL LIKELY BE EMBEDDED IN THIS SYSTEM AS IT MOVES ACROSS THE REGION.

AT THIS TIME A NUMBER OF UNCERTAINTIES EXIST AS TO THE LOCATION AND
EXACT AMOUNTS OF RAINFALL. CURRENTLY PROJECTIONS INDICATE THE
HEAVIEST AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED IN SOUTHWESTERN MANITOBA WITH AN AXIS
OF HIGHER AMOUNTS FROM MELITA - PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE - SELKIRK -
BISSETT. GENERAL AMOUNTS FROM THIS SYSTEM SHOULD BE OF THE ORDER OF
30 TO 50 MM HOWEVER UNDER THE MORE INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS, LOCAL
AMOUNTS CAN BE MUCH HIGHER, PERHAPS UP TO 80 MM LOCALLY IN A SHORT
PERIOD OF TIME. AS WELL HIGHER AMOUNTS MAY ALSO BE POSSIBLE IN THE
HIGHER TERRAIN AREAS OF WESTERN MANITOBA ALONG THE EASTERN SLOPES OF
THE TURTLE, RIDING AND DUCK MOUNTAIN PARKS.

THIS SYSTEM WILL BE SLOW MOVING AND FURTHER RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE
PROBABLE WEDNESDAY NIGHT BEFORE GRADUALLY TAPERING OFF ON THURSDAY.

DUE TO RECENT HEAVY RAINFALL OVER PORTIONS OF MANITOBA, THE PUBLIC IS
ADVISED TO MONITOR PROVINCIAL FLOOD STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS
ON THIS DEVELOPING SYSTEM. FLOOD FORECAST INFORMATION CAN BE
OBTAINED FROM THE MANITOBA WATER STEWARDSHIP AT THE FOLLOWING WEB
SITE: (USE LOWER CASE LETTERS)

HTTP://WWW.GOV.MANITOBA.CA/WATERSTEWARDSHIP

FURTHER DETAILS FOLLOW IN THE NEXT REGULAR PUBLIC FORECAST AT 4.00 PM
CDT.

MR, we're not quite as wet as you or others on here, but we're still wet, wet, wet! It sure would be nice to be able to start haying one of these days soon! Between us and the best friend, we have around 1000 acres to put up.

Australian Cattleman said:
Here at our place there is misty rain tending to showers. A cool easterly wind with the forecast of moderate to heavy falls over the next two days.
We haven't had a frost for over tens days. We haven't seen much sun over the past week. We had a cold blast of sleet and some snow in our district (no snow at our place only a few flakes) during the last week. Our gullies are trickling along nicely. There is a hint of greenery about the paddocks,especially in the sheltered areas.
Our South Devons and Herefords are calving well. Our Brahmans don't earnestly start till about September (when its warming up a bit).
Our lawn is nice and green and the flowers are blooming quite well. Will prune the roses in about a months time. We have pansies and calendulas in bloom at the minute. We have lots of daffodils in the ground as well as ranunculi,cottage gladioli,ixias,babianas,dutch iris,star lavender,crocus and lots of other bulbs. Our garden is about an acre and a half. We have lots of native and deciduous rees. We have about 100 roses. In about 18months to 2 years we will open our garden to the public once a year.
Here in Australia they have a thing called the open garden scheme. It has gardens open at various times and various areas at leats once a year. All the money for admission goes to charity.
We have a local garden that is 8 acres in size. It is magnificent,its one of Australias renowned garden for perennial plants. I enjoy going each year just to see how much they have added to it. This husband and wife team have helpers though which does detract from things a bit. My garden just has me (and my wife who does the watering).
Enough ramblings.
Hope we see the sun for a day or two before the next cold snap next week.
Colin

Faster Horses said it, PICTURES PICTURES POST SOME PICTURES!!!!!!!!

ranchwife said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:
Cowgal, if you stick around for a while you will see that there are times that we take some pretty good (or bad, depending on the situation) swipes at each other. But I think that all of us would be more than happy to open our doors to the others on the board.

And get ready, cause you'll get your share of knocks, too. Helps to have thick skin.

HAY MAKER, if y'all ever show up here in Ontario, I let you in too, but not till you got the good dustin' down that I think you deserve! :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. - Cowgal I like your attitude.

ditto, here, cowgal!! Ever find yourself headed down my way, let me know!! we can sit and laugh over a cup of coffee!! Lots of good folks on this board....many different opinions and all with the same basic interests....CATTLE, HORSES AND DOGS :wink: :wink: :wink:

Welcome aboard, Cowgal, love your posts!!!

Manitoba Rancher- More on the way-- Thunderstorm this morning gave us .15 more-- then the storms rolled in again tonite and gave us another .35--Up north we got over an inch -But some areas again got 2-3".....All headed northeast toward you...

Good news is that the 15 day long range forecast is predicting this pattern is done and we will get a couple of dry weeks and temps in the 80's- if the ground ever drys out we can get to haying...

Hope you start drying out........

Thanks OT,

Its so darn wet here now that the cows we have left in the small pasture that we are still feeding, we have to keep the 4-wheel drive tractor sitting standby to pull the MFD chore tractor out when we get stuck. Tonite we had to pull it out after we bellied the chore tractor out. The ground is saturated. We are to the point where we wont be able to get to those cows for water. Talked with an agrologist this morning and he said a lot of crops in this area are almost a write off now as the plant cant handle growing in such saturated soil. This next rain could be the finish of our crops. There a lot of people in this area that are in the same boat. I think we should switch and start growing rice!!! :shock:

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Thanks OT,

Its so darn wet here now that the cows we have left in the small pasture that we are still feeding, we have to keep the 4-wheel drive tractor sitting standby to pull the MFD chore tractor out when we get stuck. Tonite we had to pull it out after we bellied the chore tractor out. The ground is saturated. We are to the point where we wont be able to get to those cows for water. Talked with an agrologist this morning and he said a lot of crops in this area are almost a write off now as the plant cant handle growing in such saturated soil. This next rain could be the finish of our crops. There a lot of people in this area that are in the same boat. I think we should switch and start growing rice!!! :shock:

Feast or Famine- drought or deluge-never seems to be a happy medium...Something for thought- in years past when we ended up with late seeding we never went wrong with oats- if nothing else it could always be hayed.......

I heard on the radio the other day where they were saying because of the weather that Canada was going to be way down on wheat harvest this year- possibly 5-10% below normal :???: .... Sure hasn't shown up in wheat prices tho as down here they have been going down $.05-15 a day for the last few days.......

Theres a pile of unseeded acres here in Manitoba and what did get in the ground was just mudded in. Canola is the same way dropped $30 per tonne for fall futures in a few days......Think traders are taking advantage of the situation. :roll:

Goodmorning all,
Well the sun is not out, more rain on the way! Keeps the pesty flies at bay though! Looks pretty ominous to the West.
We used to be strickly grain farmers, moved to higher ground after the flood in 97 and now are mainly into cattle. Still crop a bit though. Has anyone grown corn for their cows to graze in fall and winter? We were thinking about giving it a whirl.

Hey Manitoba Rancher are you in the Red River Valley?

Just heard that in northcentral SD, 9" fell in an already wet spot, just about ruins crop and hay for this year. Cattle can't find the grass for the water. Seems like it comes too much at once 3"+ to an already wet spot.

Goodmorning folks. Does anybody need a cat or dog? Its been raining them since early yesterday. I think I am either going to sprout feathers like a duck or gills and swim away?!?!
Supposed to clear up this afternoon.......I hope anyhow!

Kids start summer holidays today here in MB....................... I have a girl 8, boy 7, girl 5 and boy 18 months. Lots of rock pickers for the summer! LOL!!!

:wink: Try to stay dry and cheerful!

Our son got out of school on May 18th. He has enjoyed his break from school, and we have enjoyed his company (plus all the work he has helped us to do :wink: ). When do your kids have to go back to school?

Goodmorning Soapweed! Thats an interesting name! Is it a place? Our kids go back the first week of September. I hope we get some good beach weather! Otherwise my husband and I have fencing, clearing bush, buliding compounds and lots of other fun stuff to too! LOL!!!

You ride horses?

Cowgal said:
Goodmorning Soapweed! Thats an interesting name! Is it a place? Our kids go back the first week of September. I hope we get some good beach weather! Otherwise my husband and I have fencing, clearing bush, buliding compounds and lots of other fun stuff to too! LOL!!!

You ride horses?

Yea Soapweed do you ride horses? :wink: :wink: :cowboy:

Yikes DH (darlin husband) was talking to another cattle guy who was looking for 15 of his cows. The electric fence was under water so off they wandered. Water is getting so bad that he was traveling by boat. The rest of the herd that was in the pasture look like they are on a island. The sun has just come out here.
:shock:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Cowgal said:

You ride horses?

BMR, It was a legitimate question because Soap was ALMOST riding a mule not long ago :roll: :roll: :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Cowgal said:

You ride horses?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

good evening, all!!! what a simply GLORIOUS day in the madison valley of southwest montana!!! rain finally stopped, the sun finally came out and i believe our temperature finally got over 70 degrees :shock: :shock: Sure hope it sticks around for a week so the family can enjoy the 4th of July rodeo while i am "slaving" at work, taking care of the broken up, wounded cowboys :wink: :wink:

Cowgal: "You ride horses?"

We use horses quite a bit on our ranch. We don't own any ATVs, so we depend on horses to get us around and work the cattle. Actually, thinking about it, we flat couldn't operate without them.

I confess, I did almost buy a mule a week and a half ago. It just wasn't in the cards to come home with a long-eared friend, because my bidding arm seemed to lose strength and wouldn't raise anymore. I've even been guilty of riding an occasional Appaloosa, Paint, Morgan and Tennessee Walking Horse. Hope I'm not so open minded that my brains have fallen out. :shock:

Speaking of Morgans, one of the very best horses my dad had through the years was one fourth Morgan and three-fourths Quarter Horse. This sorrel gelding, named Penny, was a cow cutting fool. He was tough, with endurance galore, and was just a real good all-around ranch horse. The horse never became overly gentle, but if you were a good rider he was an excellent partner to help get just about any cattle job done with.

Latest posts