• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How's your garden?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

As we moved a little late in the season to a house with no garden (one big bare patch overpopulated by chickens) I haven't done much so far. We constructed the greenhouse and got the seeds started, 'trenched' a row of potatoes, and dug three deep beds, planting Jerusalem artichokes, runner beans, peppers (not doing much), onions,chives, garlic, cabbage, spinach buternut squash and zuchini. A small area is planted to herbs and I have container planted tomatoes and asparagus. I am experimenting planting climbing peas up the arichokes. I hope to have a better selection next year!
We bottle and freeze surplusses, but I doubt there will be much over this year.

Yellow squash coming out of my ears, I pulled all but one plant up.
DSC_3461-800-2733a.jpg

The worst grasshopper infestation in 10 years is back again. Here's my garden :shock:

Had our county fair and this is what happened in 2 days:

They ate the peas, luckily they were already done so the hoppers had something to eat

Atethepeas.jpg

They ate the onions:

Nomoreonions.jpg

They stripped the leaves on our potato plants

nomoretaters.jpg

They moved onto the Pepper plants:

EatingPepperplants.jpg

Started on the melon plants

Eatingmelonplants.jpg

Love the Rhubarb

HoppersinRhubarb.jpg

When I saw the pepper plants being invaded we decided to go on the offensive and started spraying

Here's fighting back

Deadhoppers.jpg

It looks like we'll have to do it again, the hoppers are coming back into the garden...at least it was quiet for a couple days :x They also ate the raspberries. We have corn, melons, cukes, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers left. As long as I have the ingredients for salsa and enough tomatoes to can....

That's nasty! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm surprised they ate the rhubarb. It's poisonous to everything else. Some people even make a "tea" with the leaves to spray on other plants to kill bugs. Those must be tough hoppers.

Good luck in your battle.

I haven't eaten the blossoms, but I have watched a lot of people on cooking shows eat them and they swear they are delicious.

Here are two more zucchini recipes...If I can't give them away, I grate 'em and freeze 'em for chocolate zucchini bread...MCG's friends :heart: the bread!

Some of our favorites:

Italian Beef Stir Fry

1 lb beef round tip steaks (stew meat, round steak works just as well) cut 1/8-1/4 inch thick
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 T olive oil
2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 C cherry tomato halves
1/4 C reduced-calorie bottled italian dressing
2 C hot cooked spaghetti
1 T parmesan cheese

Cut beef steaks crosswise into 1-in wide strips; cut each strip crosswise in half. Cook and stir garlic in oil in large nonstick skillet over med-high heat 1 min. Add beef strips (1/2 at a time); stir-fry 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove with slotted spoon; keep warm. Add zucchini to same skillet; stir-fry 2-3 min or until crisp-tender. Return beef to skillet with tomato halves and dressing; heat through. Serve beef mixture over pasta; sprinkle with parmesan cheese. 4 servings.

Here is something sw made up: It's one of our favorites, too:

Zucchini Supreme

1 regular onion, chopped
3-4 slices thick sliced bacon, cubed
3-4 med zucchinis, sliced (with skin on)
8 oz mozarella cheese, sliced

Cook onion and bacon together. Add zucchini, cook on low heat covered, until done. Be sure to stir periodically. Just before serving, place sliced mozarella cheese on top, cover, let cheese completely melt. Serve.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread (Mmmmmmmm)

3 eggs
1 C vegetable oil
2 C sugar
1 T vanilla
2 C peeled shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
2-1/2 C flour
1/2 C baking cocoa
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t baking powder

In large bowl beat eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in zucchini. Combine dry ingredients and add to zucchini mixture-mix well. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until bread tests done.

These loaves freeze well, too.

Thanks for the great recipes. Makes me wish I had some zucchini! May be able to find some someplace.

Grasshoppers are terribly thick here.....and have stripped leaves off the wild lettuce, sweet clover, and most anything tender, including some 30" high Western Wheatgrass in my yard!

Sure do hate those critters! But a small guest from TN found them fascinating and took lots of photo's of them to show his dad who was to join them later on their trip. His mom's comment: "aren't digital camera's great! I wouldn't let him take 30 photo's of grasshoppers with the 33mm cam."

mrj

andybob said:
Guinea fowl are good for controlling grasshoppers and other pests, so long as you don't mind the noise!

The birds here were eating them when the hoppers started to show up and I think they are sick of them :(

This is one of my cabbage plants with the floating row cover pulled back. This is at least a month ahead of time for our area, and there are hardly any holes in it that I can see, and there were no chemicals used either. The milk jug is there to show how big the cabbage is.

cabbage_july_20_2009.JPG

I bet these row covers would keep hoppers off just as well as they keep cabbage moths out. The only drawback is that you could only use them on plants that don't need bees for pollination. They don't cost that much money, I think I paid about $15 for a cover that is 6 feet by 35, and they last for more than a couple of seasons.

Around here one sees those covers stretched tight over hoops that straddle the rows. Gives a great greenhouse effect.

Is that how you do it?

No. I just put it on the row, and then pile a bit of dirt along the edges to keep it from blowing away. The cabbages support it themselves. It's really light fabric, and doesn't weigh the plants down at all. It also protects from a couple of degrees of frost. Last spring it kept these cabbages alive under five inches of snow, thanks to help from the milk jugs full of water.

mrj said:
Thanks for the great recipes. Makes me wish I had some zucchini! May be able to find some someplace.

Grasshoppers are terribly thick here.....and have stripped leaves off the wild lettuce, sweet clover, and most anything tender, including some 30" high Western Wheatgrass in my yard!

Sure do hate those critters! But a small guest from TN found them fascinating and took lots of photo's of them to show his dad who was to join them later on their trip. His mom's comment: "aren't digital camera's great! I wouldn't let him take 30 photo's of grasshoppers with the 33mm cam."

mrj

I am sure quite a few if us would be willing to mail you some!!

Thanks! Guess I can wait till we visit the gardening grand daughter first wk of Sept. Not sure mailing it would be a paying proposition, after mailing a small package yesterday, which wasn't very heavy like zukes would be!

I have LOTS of song birds eating the grasshoppers. Say a little sparrow trying to catch a hopper that was about half as long as the bird! Have to see the humor.....or get mad....which solves nothing.

mrj

Latest posts