• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Huge-mongus Cottonmouth !

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bryceville

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this news story. This thing was taken two miles down from my house in a logged out area that's being cleared. While I agree with "Live and let live", I'm not sure that snake would agree. Whatever his politics, it don't look like he missed many meals. Scary.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/actionlocal/story/Giant-cottonmouth-snake-found-in-Baldwin/NagoOw2ZdUWztz6Gy0YIwA.cspx

Yessir, it is. There 's a guy on here from Louisiana, I can't remember his handle, anyway I was wondering if he'd heard of any that big in the bayous. We don't usually see any over about four or four and a half feet, though they do get pretty thick-bodied. But what they lack in size they make up for in pure aggression.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I am freaked out beyond description! Now Florida is off my list of places to see. I HATE SNAKES!!!

As you've probably seen on the news over the last three or four years, down in south Florida, mostly around the Everglades, we've got an incredibly huge problem with Burmese pythons that started breeding together after idiots turned them loose when they got too big to be "cuddly". They are actually decimating the small mammal population to the point that it's rare to find a possum, coon, rabbit, etc. When I saw this pic of the moccasin, I freaked out thinking "Oh heck, now they're breedin' with the poisonous snakes, must be a plot to take over the world!" Well guess what, They hit north Florida, I'm going to have the most bodacious pair of boots ever made ! And I ain't talking Wellington height or even Mule ears like Gus in "Lonesome Dove"... Nope, I'm talkin' full-fledged thigh high swashbucklers like Cap'n Jack Sparrow! With the python pattern! Talk about stylin' and profilin' ...LOL

Not a downside for humans, probably, but the bobcats, panthers, gators, eagles, and other animals that live off of 'em are probably kinda depressed over it. Oh, and that list would include longshoremen, too. LOL. At the port where I work, you can sell a skinned fat coon for $25, but you have to leave one foot on it so they know it wasn't rat or cat or whatever.

I have three pictures of a diamondback that was captured in St Johns county that i will send to someone to post if interested. It is about 15 foot in length and massive. One picture has a blade opening the mouth and the blade is 6 inches in length that gives a good perspective of size.

Latest posts