• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Human to human avian flu?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
I guess I am the last to know...I just read this article that said we are seeing human to human cases of bird flu... that can't be good , can it?I am certainly glad it isn't cow flu.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4226459.stm

Don't be surprised. I had to put down one of my cattle dogs last wk and the vet was talking about a " dog flu" that was starting up.

Seems it's like the bird flu and kills the dog pretty soon if you don't react in time....and even then it's only about 50% chance. Seems it's worse than Parvo.

Cows, horses, etc can only be next it seems.

Red Robin said:
I guess I am the last to know...I just read this article that said we are seeing human to human cases of bird flu... that can't be good , can it?I am certainly glad it isn't cow flu.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4226459.stm

Red Robin:

I could be wrong but I think the report is in error. My reasoning for this is that in reading postings from the promed listserv, they reported that there had not been any human to human cases. They are pretty current as they receive the official reports from each country's diagnostic labs as well as from WHO and CDC. It is likely the two brothers were eating raw duck infected with the H5N1 strain of Avian influenza...

Again, I could be wrong (sure wouldn't be the first or last time!)

Cheers,

TTB

'TTB---you are correct...there are no "confirmed" cases of human-to-human bird flu....yet, all it would take is a simple twist in the DNA strand to do so...yes, scary!!! All of the devastating flu strains over history have started as "avian strains" of influenza and the DNA twisted and WHAMMO...human influenza with deadly consequences.....luckily, a university here in the states (down south...carolina, i believe) has been experimenting with a vaccine for avian flu.....let's all wish them luck!! :shock:

Latest posts