• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Humane Society Critical

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Here is the story from the Billings Gazette. Not that well-written and I guess I don't have a problem with it, with the exception that it was sensationalized a bit by calling it a Coyote Killing Contest. It is a Coyote Calling Contest. She could have called it a Coyote Hunt even; but since the reporter is from California originally, I guess that would have been too much to hope for.

She also did not include the statement I made that Montana's have a Constitutional right to hunt.

January 6, 2006

Last modified January 6, 2006 - 12:38 am

Humane Society critical of coyote killing contest
By CLAIR JOHNSON
Of The Gazette Staff

An annual coyote killing contest set for this weekend in Fallon County will go on despite objections from a national animal protection group that the event is unethical.

The Humane Society of the United States, headquartered in Washington, D.C., sent a letter to the Baker Chamber of Commerce, a sponsor of the event, expressing its dismay over the sponsorship. The contest exhibits "a blatant disregard for wildlife and the integrity of ecosystems,'' the society said.

Casey Pheiffer, of the Humane Society, asked the chamber to cancel the event, saying that sponsoring "this reprehensible event may result in a negative view of Baker by the general public.''

Carla Rustad, chamber president, and Karen Leibee, an organizer, said the event will not be canceled.

Rustad said she did not receive the society's letter but that "everybody is entitled to their own opinion."

"They don't live in this area," Rustad said. "They don't deal with the same things these people deal with.''

It was unclear why Rustad may not have received the letter, which was dated Dec. 22.

"We have way too many coyotes,'' Leibee said. "What we're trying to do is control them, not eliminate them.''

The event, called the "Coyote Calling Contest - Coyote Hunt,'' runs from 7 p.m. today to 2 p.m. Sunday. Sign-up and a rules meeting will be held at the Plevna Bar in Plevna. Two- or three-person teams then will hunt coyotes with landowner permission.

According to the rules, snow machines and airplanes are prohibited. So is alcohol. Entry fees will be added to a $1,000 purse that will go to the four teams with the most coyotes. Participants can keep the carcasses or sell them to a buyer for the fur.

The contest has been held for several years, Leibee said. Last year, 96 people participated and shot about 55 coyotes, she said.

Pheiffer's letter said the argument that the killing contest reduces coyote problems with farm animals and deer is based on faulty assumptions. Despite widespread extermination programs by the federal and local governments, coyotes continue to thrive, Pheiffer said.

Heidi Prescott, the Humane Society's senior vice president of campaigns, said this week that the effect of killing contests is the opposite of reducing animal populations. Studies have shown that coyotes can respond to lethal control by breeding at a younger age, she said.

Livestock guard animals and high fencing have proved effective in reducing livestock kills by coyotes, the society said. Removing livestock carcasses and sheltering sick or injured animals also prevents coyotes from preying on livestock.

And contest kills, Pheiffer said, are "inherently unethical'' and "desensitize individuals by making the act of killing secondary to the objective of winning a prize.''

Coyotes are called by using a distress call and are shot when they come to investigate the sound, Prescott said. "It's not hunting,'' she said. "The nature of killing animals in a contest format is definitely something hunters and nonhunters alike find reprehensible."

Contest kills are a priority of the society, which keeps a database of such events around the country, Prescott said. The society heard about the Fallon County event from one of its members in Montana, she said.

"I have to say this is a new experience for us - finding a Chamber of Commerce that is promoting such a cruel activity,'' Prescott said. Such events typically are sponsored by gun clubs or other organizations, she said.

The Baker Chamber of Commerce has helped sponsor the event every year, Rustad said. "It brings people to the community.'' The event is part tourism and part predator control, she said.

"We do have an overabundance of coyotes. Coyotes are a problem for livestock owners,'' she said.

The event began a few years ago because the community was having problems with coyotes, Leibee said. The state was going to send in a trapper with a helicopter and then tax residents, she said. So the community held a meeting and decided to control coyotes through a contest, she said.

The event is conducted with landowner permission, and a game warden attends the rules meeting, Leibee said.

Many places have calling contests, which allow both sportsmen and the town to take part, Leibee said.

"We are a rural, isolated area,'' Leibee said. Landowners do have dogs to protect livestock, but that's not the total answer to predator problems, she said. And it is impractical and expensive to install big fences in such a vast area, she said.

The Chamber of Commerce, which depends on ranchers and farmers to keep businesses going, sponsors the event to help ranchers protect their livelihood, Leibee said. More than a dozen other businesses also sponsor the contest.

Copyright © The Billings Gazette, a division of Lee Enterprises.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coyotes are called by using a distress call and are shot when they come to investigate the sound, Prescott said. "It's not hunting,'' she said. "The nature of killing animals in a contest format is definitely something hunters and nonhunters alike find reprehensible."

I find it interesting that using a distress call to call in coyotes is reprehensible, when that is exactly how coyotes sometimes find their prey. Are they not reprehensible then, too? They are taking advantage of the prey's misfortune, like any predator will. Has the Humane Society forgotten that man is a predator? Where is the Humane Society when some innocent newborn calf is getting torn to pieces by one or more of their precious coyotes? The calf is bellering the most distressed call he will ever make, but the coyote doesn't seem to care. If these contests advocated killing coyotes in the same manner as coyotes kill, ie. ripping them to shreds, then they might have something to complain about. A clean shot is about as humane as it gets.

Thanks for your responses. I can combine them to write my own letter to the Gazette. I hope more people will post their thoughts on this forum.

I understand we are supposed to get some protesters in person.

I also understand Bob Gilbert, President of the Montana Wool Growers is working on a response as I type this.

Interesting, to say the least.

DJL said:
when that is exactly how coyotes sometimes find their prey. Are they not reprehensible then, too? They are taking advantage of the prey's misfortune, like any predator will. Has the Humane Society forgotten that man is a predator?

We can't call coyotes "reprehensible." that would indicate that we think them capable of ethical considerations. They aren't. They do this out of a matter of survival or instinct.

Man, on the other hand, has conscious thought. We can call things man does reprehensible because he made those decisions in spite of the ability to choose more ethical routes.

Does that make sense?

While man is a predator, he should do so in an ethical manner. The quick, clean kill, for example. Coyotes don't have that requirement because they're animals...

This is very true, HiredMansWife. It all goes back to the Disney thing, I think, as the greens/animal activists try to give human emotions and values to animals. The Humane Society gets carried away on so many things, but misses the most obvious abuse cases that go on for years, in spite of numerous reports. They need to focus on those, where conscious thought goes into the abuse.

They had a little section on the Northern Ag News this morning I heard while I was feeding...Dave Rye kind of made the humane people out as being out of touch-- using the quote " they don't deal with the same things these people deal with"....

Give your chamber people a great big ATTA BOY - FH.......

While I think the Humane Society doesn't deserve to be vilified, their position does seem to be somewhat naive. The fact this is an organized event that has clear rules and restrictions should indicate to them that the calling contest isn't just a wanton massacre. I'm sure there are a lot of things they wouldn't approve of that are never announced or made official, which is probably what they should be concentrating on.

Faster horses said:
; but since the reporter is from California originally, I guess that would have been too much to hope for.

To Quote this Site
be kind to your fellow posters. Even though you disagree with their opinion and think they are a total idiot, please disagree in a nice manner.

Do you clump me in that group? I'm from California! If that boot fits me then I think it's fair to Lump you under Broke Back Mt.

In stead of making innuendos and aspersions you might get off you're a$$ and Do Something to Fight Back - - start a Boycott!

Boycott the News Paper, their Advertisers, Write Letters to the Editor, and more. Search the Net for information on them (the reporter or whom ever) as I do!

Know you Loud Mouths - - Get information on the Reporters that attack your/our way of life - - I've even paid the $9.99 to get a report on them – They shut up dam fast when you know Who or What they really are!

Do something - - It's lonely out here when Montanans just sit on their horse and cast ASPERSIONS!

I CAN GIVE YOU SOME LEADS if you need them

There is some information on the old sites here – if you'll look "Please"
Veg. Site
http://www.cattlecorner.com/bullpen/veg/veg.mv

I think it was a misstak to thak it off the main Menu

Yes! I'm a Californian and I'm doing something

V_Key said:
Faster horses said:
; but since the reporter is from California originally, I guess that would have been too much to hope for.

To Quote this Site
be kind to your fellow posters. Even though you disagree with their opinion and think they are a total idiot, please disagree in a nice manner.

Do you clump me in that group? I'm from California! If that boot fits me then I think it's fair to Lump you under Broke Back Mt.

In stead of making innuendos and aspersions you might get off you're a$$ and Do Something to Fight Back - - start a Boycott!

Boycott the News Paper, their Advertisers, Write Letters to the Editor, and more. Search the Net for information on them (the reporter or whom ever) as I do!

Know you Loud Mouths - - Get information on the Reporters that attack your/our way of life - - I've even paid the $9.99 to get a report on them – They shut up dam fast when you know Who or What they really are!

Do something - - It's lonely out here when Montanaites just sit on their horse and cast ASPERSIONS!

I CAN GIVE YOU SOME LEADS if you need them

There is some information on the old sites here – if you'll look "Please"
Veg. Site
http://www.cattlecorner.com/bullpen/veg/veg.mv

I think it was a misstak to thak it off the main Menu

Yes! I'm a Californian and I'm doing something
One thought on all that VbarKey, as you get older you have more requirements for your time. I.E. mother, wife, hired hand , cook, I really doubt that FH sits on her horse all day unless she has a job to do.

V-key, I think FH has a ranch to help run and not the time you have. I also agree California people on the whole are different people, so would have to agree with her on that one. So count to ten and then breathe ok.

Cream rises to the top - all the other crap sinks to the bottom - You people tend to look for the $H_T - (What evey Makes You HAPPY...)

I'm sure/know California, Montana and other states have more Cream than $h_t... I know there are several others out here doing our part not just sitting back and finding all the reasons THEY CAN'T!

I know of 3 House (Wifes/Ranch Wifes/With childers) who do SOMETHING to Help each day . . .

You all find time to sit here! Just sit there and point you fingure's at California when the REAL FALT is in your direction!

5 Minutes per Day X 1000's or 1000,000,000's adds up

That's what their diong and your letting them BURY Out Way Of LIFE while yous sit there and BLAME Me for Speaking-Up.

One Ploto Copied Letter to Congress or Reps. with any crap you can easlly find on line... A Link eMailed to me - Monthly - You know you could do something! I can't protect our way of life and you can' either - but together ...

Shame On You All! - - You call your selves the WEST

You like to blame my age and...
If we got started in mass there would always be some one my age... I my drive slows down with other life I will always do some part here to Protect Our Way of Life!

Oh yea! Just sit there and Point!

V_Key said:
You all find time to sit here! Just sit there and point you fingure's at
Odd, while I saw no one blaming you (maybe I need to go reread,) I did notice you blaming her. Maybe killing coyotes is her contribution to our lifestyle. :wink: Thanks for doing your part FH! Supper ready?

What really makes me nuts is that there are animal rights activists (watch one episode of Animal Cops) who will walk/drive past children in the same situation as the animals they are there to 'rescue.'
They will take the animals into the shelter and leave the children right there.
Sure, we have obligations to keep our animal companions and/or livestock cared for, but how can you call yourself Humane when you ignore the situation of human children?
As to the coyote arguement, I doubt that many of those people have had to deal with a 'yote eating little Fifi. That would put a whole nother spin on things, I bet.

LOL v-key I LOVE your energy, enthusiasm, tenacious,idealism, and out spokeness. As you age you will find that many people do feel the injustice but have learned that sometimes you have to pick your battles.
YES encourage as many as you can to join in the crusade BUT you have to ENCOURAGE.
NEVER attack or call names or make assumations.
If you want people to join you in a fight the best way is to ask for help......I have yet to see many people refused the request for help. Yes you will come across them ~thank them, smile and move on to the next person. You never know whom is watching how you react to a negitive person.
KEEP up the good strong fight.

I have been to California and all the people I met were as common and ordinary as anybody else in any other state .Broad generalizations do tend to piss aperson off .Let er rip Vkey.

Broad generalizations do tend to p*** aperson off .Let er rip Vkey.

So what your saying is its OK to attack someone if they piss you off due to thier ignorance?
How about "teach" them thier misinformation. The only way to change someone is to do it with kindness and compassion.
When you attack a person they STOP listening and defend themselves what will be gained? Nothing but hurt feelings.

So if I follow your advice I can attack a person I KNOW has lied about me and has caused alot of grief for me? RIGHT?
Or should I offer friendship in the hopes they accept and they see I am not the threat they think I am. And if they refuse then I need to let them sink thier own ship.
Cuz all that will come of 2 people attacking each other is more people around them getting hurt.

It seems to me that V-K is quick to take offense when none was intended. FH didn't say that everyone in California is either a nut or a kook and she sure didn't mention V-K when she took a poke at California.

It may have slipped your notice, but CA, like MA, NY and DC, has more that its share of folks who tend to be either flaming liberals or are, as my carpenter friend would say, "about half a bubble off plumb", or both. It also contains a sizable population of solid, sensible citizens, but those aren't the kind of folks who make the five o'clock news.

After reading posts from both FH and V-K, they seem to be mostly on the same side of the fence.

mp.freelance said:
San Francisco and Los Angeles tend to give the whole state a bad name, I think.

People tend to forget that this is the state that gave us the oh-so-liberal&wacked-out Ronald Reagan... [/tongue in cheek]

They let him run the state for two terms, afterall, before he got to run the country...

Latest posts