• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hunter vandalism targets SD Lockout

Help Support Ranchers.net:

How about a bit of humor on this subject?

Two hunters were walking through a cornfield during pheasant season. A CO decides that he needs to check them out. When he stops his vehicle and gets out, the hunters spot him.

One hunter takes off thru the field, across the road and into some brush and trees with the CO right behind him. After a lengthy chase, the CO finally catches up with the hunter and asks for his license. The hunter produces his license, ID, owner permission and appears completely within the law.

The perplesed CO ask "Why did you run, you were perfectly legal, you license, ID and everyone else is in order?"

The hunter replies "I know, but the other guy(who had long since departed the scene) didn't have a license."

How about a bit of humor on this subject?

Two hunters were walking through a cornfield during pheasant season. A CO decides that he needs to check them out. When he stops his vehicle and gets out, the hunters spot him.

One hunter takes off thru the field, across the road and into some brush and trees with the CO right behind him. After a lengthy chase, the CO finally catches up with the hunter and asks for his license. The hunter produces his license, ID, owner permission and appears completely within the law.

The perplesed CO ask "Why did you run, you were perfectly legal, you license, ID and everyone else is in order?"

The hunter replies "I know, but the other guy(who had long since departed the scene) didn't have a license."
Cute story cowpuncher. Don't know if SH and Northern Rancher will like it much - don't seem to have much of a sense of humor on this subject.

smalltime: Looks like the game wardens are winning this round.
And just what did GF&P win in this deal? They have lost over four million acres of land locked to hunting (not including Mark Foland's 25,000 acres), they've lost the friendship and trust of hundreds of landowners across the state with their high-handed tactics, and they've got a lot of hunters ticked off with them for causing this blowup that has locked up some of the best free hunting in the state of South Dakota. That's winning?

As for landowners? We have lost absolutely nothing. By not allowing hunting we have stopped trespass on our land by GF&P, we no longer have to deal with the occasional slob hunter, and the coyotes have something to eat besides calves and sheep.

We won. Life is good. And as far as we are concerned, GF&P can take a flying leap.

Cowpuncher that was very funny! Hahaha! Thanks!

LB: "And just what did GF&P win in this deal? They have lost over four million acres of land locked to hunting (not including Mark Foland's 25,000 acres), they've lost the friendship and trust of hundreds of landowners across the state with their high-handed tactics, and they've got a lot of hunters ticked off with them for causing this blowup that has locked up some of the best free hunting in the state of South Dakota. That's winning?"

You don't know squat about the Foland situation. You just found another GF&P bashing friend to take under your wing.

Mark Foland is making a complete fool out of himself by defending something that is totally indefensible. His kid violated a big game transportation law, his kid knew that he needed a transportation permit, Todd gave him a break. If you think any and all big game violations should end up in warning tickets, that says more about you than I ever could.

What would you say if I told you that I might be the new CO in Harding Co.? Hahaha! Equipped with a brand new German tank and Nazi outfit. You'll know my truck because it will have a great big swastika (sp?) on the side and I'll be breaking down gates and driving all over your pasture starting fires. I might even shoot an occasional coyote that runs out of the brush as it's burning. You'll never know how good you had it with your current CO. There, how's that for humor? Can I expect to read those comments taken out of context in your next column?

I'd rather be the boy named Sue then be a CO in Harding Co.

~SH~ (taking a flying leap)

Liberty Belle respecting game laws has nothing to do with not having a sense of humour-I know too many South Dakotans to believe that zero access for conservation officers won't be abused-guess that's why American hunters like coming to Saskatchewan.

Just trying to make sense out of all of this LB as the anti-hunting groups are getting stronger each year.
You state this has nothing to do with hunters and you are targeting the G & F. The only article that I've found on this so far says its all about hunters! Are there two different agendas here? Are some people doing this just because their neighbors are doing it and don't have a clue why? I am just trying to figure out what is going on there, this is nothing personal.

Here is the article.
LARRY GABRIEL, SECRETARY
South Dakota Department of Agriculture
523 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-3182
Telephone: (800) 228-5254 or (605) 773-5425
Fax: 605-773-5926
http://www.state.sd.us/doa
WEEKLY NEWS FROM THE SECRETARY
Why does hunting bother so many landowners?
Disputes between hunters, the government and landowners are as old as the idea of property ownership, and will probably continue for as long as the right to own private property exists.
Actually it is not the hunting that bothers us. What bothers us is a lack of respect for us and our property rights. A man who has worked his entire life to build a farm or ranch deserves a little respect for that.

Long ago, the public schools taught something called "citizenship" or civics. We received grades on it in various areas. One of the areas listed on every report card was "respect for the rights and property of others".
We presently have a landowner ban on hunting imposed in a large chunk of Western South Dakota. We have had several cases taken all the way to our Supreme Court at no small expense to landowners seeking to protect their rights.

These disputes are not caused by any anti-hunting sentiments or philosophy. No such disputes would exist, if people were doing their best to "respect" the rights and property of others.
If we truly "respect" the property owner's rights, we will not go to the courthouse and search for a section line or other easement to gain access for hunting without permission.
Legalistic technicalities have nothing to do with respect. I do not have to like what you do to respect it, just as I don't have to like what some people say in order to respect their right to hold their own views and express their own opinions.
I may not like it, but I respect the fact that the State holds wildlife in trust for the people of this state.
I may not like it, but I respect the fact that wildlife numbers must be managed by professionals through controlled harvests called "hunting seasons".

What we farmers and ranchers really want, is the same "respect" from the hunters and government officials that was once taught in civics class. A good citizen has enough respect to ask, even if he doesn't have to do it.
You may not have to ask a farmer to hunt on the section lines across his property, but if you respect him and his property rights you will do it anyway.
You may not have to ask a lessee of public grazing lands for permission to hunt in his pastures, but a respectful citizen will do it anyway.
You may not have to ask the landowner who has opened a portion of his land to public hunting, but respect requires it when the law does not. Most of these problems will disappear when we all remember the civics and good manners we were taught as children. Those who were never taught will then learn by example.

I should have added, this article came up as the reason for the western SD lockout when I did a search. Maybe a mixup?

fedup2: Just trying to make sense out of all of this LB as the anti-hunting groups are getting stronger each year.
You state this has nothing to do with hunters and you are targeting the G & F. The only article that I've found on this so far says its all about hunters! Are there two different agendas here? Are some people doing this just because their neighbors are doing it and don't have a clue why? I am just trying to figure out what is going on there, this is nothing personal.
fedup2, I have no argument at all with Sec. Gabriel in this article and I couldn't have said it better myself. Read it through carefully and you will note that while he says nothing about GF&P having the right to trespass, he has plenty to say about respecting and protecting property rights.

I have highlighted a couple statements for you that made me feel like cheering when I read Gabriel's article in our local paper. I know Larry pretty well and I'm fairly certain he didn't run this column by either Gov. Rounds or GF&P Sec. Cooper before he sent it off to papers across the state.

Here is the article.
LARRY GABRIEL, SECRETARY
South Dakota Department of Agriculture
523 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-3182
Telephone: (800) 228-5254 or (605) 773-5425
Fax: 605-773-5926
http://www.state.sd.us/doa
WEEKLY NEWS FROM THE SECRETARY

Why does hunting bother so many landowners?

Disputes between hunters, the government and landowners are as old as the idea of property ownership, and will probably continue for as long as the right to own private property exists.

Actually it is not the hunting that bothers us. What bothers us is a lack of respect for us and our property rights. A man who has worked his entire life to build a farm or ranch deserves a little respect for that.

Long ago, the public schools taught something called "citizenship" or civics. We received grades on it in various areas. One of the areas listed on every report card was "respect for the rights and property of others".

We presently have a landowner ban on hunting imposed in a large chunk of Western South Dakota. We have had several cases taken all the way to our Supreme Court at no small expense to landowners seeking to protect their rights.

These disputes are not caused by any anti-hunting sentiments or philosophy. No such disputes would exist, if people were doing their best to "respect" the rights and property of others.

If we truly "respect" the property owner's rights, we will not go to the courthouse and search for a section line or other easement to gain access for hunting without permission.

Legalistic technicalities have nothing to do with respect. I do not have to like what you do to respect it, just as I don't have to like what some people say in order to respect their right to hold their own views and express their own opinions.

I may not like it, but I respect the fact that the State holds wildlife in trust for the people of this state.

I may not like it, but I respect the fact that wildlife numbers must be managed by professionals through controlled harvests called "hunting seasons".

What we farmers and ranchers really want, is the same "respect" from the hunters and government officials that was once taught in civics class.

A good citizen has enough respect to ask, even if he doesn't have to do it.

You may not have to ask a farmer to hunt on the section lines across his property, but if you respect him and his property rights you will do it anyway.

You may not have to ask a lessee of public grazing lands for permission to hunt in his pastures, but a respectful citizen will do it anyway.

You may not have to ask the landowner who has opened a portion of his land to public hunting, but respect requires it when the law does not. Most of these problems will disappear when we all remember the civics and good manners we were taught as children. Those who were never taught will then learn by example.

fedup2: I should have added, this article came up as the reason for the western SD lockout when I did a search. Maybe a mixup?
I have no idea, but if you go to www.sdlockout.com and read through the nine parts of Understanding the Lockout, you'll have a pretty good idea of what this issue is all about. A lot of landowners involved in the lockout are also hunters and most of us have had hunters every year since there has been hunting seasons.

GF&P would like you to believe the lockout is targeting hunters. It is not. That big red bull's eye has been placed squarely on GF&P because of their arrogant assumption that they have the "right" to trespass on our private property without doing us the courtesy of even letting us know they are there, much less asking permission.

Any more questions? I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but we preg checked cows this morning and the dinner crew just left to move cows to winter pasture.

It seems to me that unless someone could come up with a legitimate use of power from your game wardens that this has more to do with other things than that of a game Warden having the right to come on your property to check for game violations? How much overstepping has been done in your area? Can you name cases as to such? They have a job to do, and to curtail that would mean more poaching and more law breaking, that is just a fact!
If you tell someone that your vehicle can't be searched without permission, how much more illegal activity would take place? More, the same or less? Probable cause gives the right to search things in plain view. Even though your property is private the plain view access overides that. To benefit law enforcement and to protect the public from law breakers. The way it stands, I don't think a game warden can come onto your property and start looking through your sheds ort house or barns without probable cause or more so a warrant? Is this right or wrong? They have the right given by the state and the people of that state to search grounds in conducting their job!
Take away the access and crime will go up! If you can dispute that go ahead. If more law breakers know that they can't be checked then more game laws will be broken. If people are honest this law shouldn't cause much concern. If they are badgering you or your land for no good reason, then they deserve the trouble.
I think this lock out is more of a power struggle between government and the locals, not so much with just a single issue of property rights in dealing with a game warden needing or not needing permission to come on to lands and check license. I come to that by another example of a man that acting childish, closes off his ground because his son clearly broke the law and now because certain treatment wasn't given to him, he retaliates by shutting his ground off to hunters! The game regs are free to anyone in any state, to read through them and know the laws, you have time to make sure you know what is legal and what isn't. To say this was an oversight by the boy is wrong! He should have read the regs book and should have known that you must have the head and hide of the animal and to get a transport tag to move the carcass. If this would have been a guy from the "big city" then all would be well and passed off as another city slicker breaking the law, but becuase it was a local, then the Game warden was the dirty SOB and now my land is shutoff.
I ask you to look at this and see how the majority of the general public would see this as it played out? Pro or con for the landowner and his kid? That would be a good poll wouldn't it. So many have negative words against game wardens, and alot of them are ones who have broke the law in the past! Kind of like the 1,000's of people in prison who are all inoccent or thought they could have been treated better than they were and the dirty SOB judge or law enforcement did them wrong! Not taking into account they BROKE THE LAW!!!!!
My last point on this is it looks pretty silly for a person to state my land is locked out to hunting unless you have a few 100- 1500.00 dollars, well then I will let you on to fill those tags! How many who charge to hunt game on their ground also allow the joe public access for free? I'm betting none or very little. So it is a shallow claim to be locked out, unless you have deep pockets then we welcome you with open arms!!!
I will state slob hunters have no purpose in the field and that the only way to keep them from being their is to enforce the laws in which the state and the people of said state have mandated and put on the books. To turn your eyes the other way because it was a local boy or man: who broke the law is not upholding the law! Then why have laws in the first place, if some can get by bending or breaking the laws that are put in place for everyone? Good day!

You are right I-trap. Conservation officers cannot search your house or the buildings surrounding your house without a search warrant and they cannot search your vehicle without permission or probable cause. Although the lockout bunch would like everyone to believe that jackbooted thugs working for GF&P are prying open doors and taking prisoners.

Good post and you pretty well nailed it.

This latest lockout attempt stemmed from an illegal aerial hunting incident in Harding Co. that resulted in the arrest of the lock-out supporter's private pilot. The private pilot was found guilty in a court of law. He received a slap on the wrist and is back in the air again and this is how his supporters retaliated.

IF OUR PILOT CAN'T TRESPASS WITHOUT BEING ARRESTEND BY CONSERVATION OFFICERS DOING THEIR JOB THAN NOBODY CAN HUNT MY WAND. WAAAAAAAHHHHH!

Bet that lights Betty's fuse!

~SH~

Itrap4u: If you tell someone that your vehicle can't be searched without permission, how much more illegal activity would take place? More, the same or less? Probable cause gives the right to search things in plain view.
Unless I've very mistaken, my vehicle cannot be searched without my permission unless law enforcement has what is known as probable cause. Probable cause means that the law has reason to suspect that a crime has been committed. If a drug dog smells pot in the trunk, that is probable cause. If there is drug paraphernalia laying in the seat in plain sight, that is probable cause.

If there is a dead body in the trunk and no sign of a murder having taken place anywhere in plain sight and the driver's face hasn't shown up on a wanted poster, there is no probable cause and the trunk cannot be searched without either a warrant, a tip or some other evidence to indicate probable cause. Law enforcement officers cannot just open my trunk, your trunk or SH's trunk without probable cause.

A hunter walking out in the field on opening day of antelope season, dressed in orange and packing a rifle is not evidence of a crime being committed. Where is the probable cause in that case?

Itrap4u: Even though your property is private the plain view access overides that.
Oh, no it doesn't!! Back that statement with a quote from whatever law you think allows that.

Itrap4u: The way it stands, I don't think a game warden can come onto your property and start looking through your sheds ort house or barns without probable cause or more so a warrant? Is this right or wrong? They have the right given by the state and the people of that state to search grounds in conducting their job!
Law enforcement needs a warrant to search within the curtilage, which is the grounds and buildings immediately surrounding a dwelling and associated with it. A shed or other building outside of the yard around the house is not within the curtilage and is not protected from warrantless search.

Itrap4u: Take away the access and crime will go up! If you can dispute that go ahead. If more law breakers know that they can't be checked then more game laws will be broken.
I do dispute this statement – back it up with some facts, not just your opinion.

SH: This latest lockout attempt stemmed from an illegal aerial hunting incident in Harding Co. that resulted in the arrest of the lock-out supporter's private pilot. The private pilot was found guilty in a court of law. He received a slap on the wrist and is back in the air again and this is how his supporters retaliated.

IF OUR PILOT CAN'T TRESPASS WITHOUT BEING ARRESTEND BY CONSERVATION OFFICERS DOING THEIR JOB THAN NOBODY CAN HUNT MY WAND. WAAAAAAAHHHHH!

If that isn't twisting the facts, I don't know what it is. I might also remind you that the pilot was not arrested by a conservation officer and was only convicted of a misdemeanor. The rival pilot who brought the charges against the predator control pilot in an attempt to get his job has since been convicted of a felony for almost beating his second wife to death and served time in the state pen. Gives you a pretty good idea of the kind of fellow GF&P was running with, doesn't it?

Since Scott loves to bring this subject up, I'll post an article about the trial for those of you who have forgotten about it:
Aerial coyote-hunting case goes to S.D. court
By Carson Walker
Associated Press — Sept. 15, 2003
SIOUX FALLS, S.D.

The tale of two coyotes goes to trial this week.

The federal court case involves the rarely charged crime of unlawful aerial hunting. The victims: two coyotes that were killing lambs in Harding County.
Those two carcasses have unleashed a stink that's been simmering for more than a decade in South Dakota's northwest corner.
"There are a lot of people in Harding County and some here in Pierre who are more than fed up with this whole issue. "— Al Miller

Federal prosecutors charged Jerry Janvrin of Buffalo with two counts of violating the federal Airborne Hunting Act after he acknowledged shooting the coyotes from his Piper Cub on Sept. 9 and 11, 2002, near Ludlow.

If convicted, Janvrin could get two years in prison, pay a fine and forfeit his airplane and Benelli shotgun, which already were seized.

The trial is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Rapid City.

A federal agent arrested Janvrin March 31, handcuffed him, shackled him and drove him to Rapid City for his first court appearance on the two misdemeanors. He hasn't been allowed to fly since.

In court papers, federal prosecutors say Janvrin was warned about breaking the law in 1991 and has since been killing coyotes and fox without permission. That includes the two days in question, when Janvrin killed two coyotes on Lex Burghduff's ranch without authorization, prosecutors say.

In an affidavit, U.S. Fish and Wildlife agent Robert Prieksat says Janvrin acknowledged killing the coyotes and falsifying his daily log report.
"Janvrin stated he did not get along with Burghduff and stated that he screwed up, in referring to the aerial hunting," says Prieksat.

But Janvrin's lawyer says Burghduff doesn't get along with Janvrin, either.
For about the last 15 years, Janvrin has been the main pilot for the predator control district that includes Harding County. That form of local government collects a tax on livestock and pays pilots to respond to complaints of coyotes and fox terrorizing sheep and cattle.

Pilots must first get the permission of the local trapper who works for the state Game, Fish and Parks Department, or at least report a kill soon after they hunt. In Harding County, the trapper is Rod Yoder.

According to a court document, Yoder told the predator district's board of directors annual meeting in 2000 that he would no longer give Janvrin permission to hunt.

"Instead, Yoder said the only person he would give pre-hunt authorization to would be Burghduff," Janvrin's lawyer wrote.

Yoder also said he would not authorize anyone for hunting, "although if hunting did occur, he would not do anything about it," the lawyer wrote.

At the same meeting, Burghduff presented a petition with the names of ranchers who supported his bid to fly for the predator board, according to the memorandum.

Based on Yoder's comments and that petition, board members gave Burghduff a one-year contract but withdrew it when they found out some of the names were forged — which Burghduff denies.

"This caused further animosity by Yoder and Burghduff toward Janvrin," Janvrin's lawyer wrote.

Some ranchers say they lost thousands of dollars in young livestock to predators this year because of the long-standing feud that grounded Janvrin.

And the bad blood has forced managers at the Department of Game, Fish and Parks in Pierre to get involved several times.

In a Nov. 25, 1991, memo, Al Miller, then the GF&P's supervisor of animal damage control, told Janvrin and Yoder to get along.

Miller told Janvrin to do a better job asking Yoder for permission before hunting and told Yoder to acknowledge those requests. Janvrin tried to communicate better with Yoder, but Yoder didn't do likewise, Miller wrote.

"There are a lot of people in Harding County and some here in Pierre who are more than fed up with this whole issue," Miller told Janvrin and Yoder.

GF&P leaders got involved again this year because of the feud, which prompted the agency to change aerial hunting rules in Harding County.

Before, pilots had to get the trapper's permission before they hunted. Now, pilots can call another number to report a kill within a reasonable amount of time.
September 15, 2003
http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/news/2003/0915/1616709.html

Since Scott brought up the trial, I'll share another story with you. Glad you did that Scott, I enjoy talking about it.

You will note in this story that the rival pilot was dragged off to the cop shop during the trial because he wasn't making his child support payments. This was for children from his first wife, not the one he did hard time for almost killing. He is just an all-around nice guy!!! He was also an aerial hunter for GF&P and a good friend of both the trapper and game warden. Does this give you an inkling about what landowners were having to deal with out here?

Coyote hunter's trial airs dispute
By Carson Walker, Associated Press Writer
RAPID CITY — A federal trial Wednesday included testimony about bug-infested carcasses and the honesty of two men: a pilot who hunts coyotes and the rancher who turned him in.

Just before two witnesses told jurors that the rancher, Lex Burghduff, wasn't trustworthy, a deputy sheriff served him with a warrant for unpaid child support.

That set off whispering among the more than three dozen supporters of Jerry Janvrin, who is charged with two counts of violating the federal Airborne Hunting Act.

Prosecutors said Janvrin didn't have permission when he killed two coyotes from his airplane Sept. 9 and Sept. 11, 2002, on Burghduff's ranch near Ludlow.

Janvrin's lawyer has argued his client was within his state permit and the real issue is that Burghduff wants to be the pilot who kills predators for area ranchers.

Sgt. Dave Bramblee with the Pennington County Sheriff's Office served Burghduff with the warrant at the federal courthouse and took him to the county courthouse in Rapid City.

Burghduff paid the $600 he owed in child support and was taken back to the federal courthouse, where he is still under subpoena for the coyote trial.

"He thought it was a mistake, but he paid it anyway," Bramblee said. "He was very cooperative."

It was a surprise chapter in a saga that has been going on more than a decade in South Dakota's northwest corner.

Prosecutors have said Janvrin does not follow the rules that govern aerial hunting — he doesn't get landowner permission or authorization from the state Game, Fish & Parks Department before hunting.

Janvrin's lawyer disagrees.

He received a complaint from a landowner that coyotes were killing sheep, told the state trapper about the hunt, and even though the two coyotes in question were killed over Burghduff's land, that is allowed under the state regulations, defense witnesses said Wednesday.

The regulations are confusing, and bad blood between Janvrin, Burghduff and the state trapper, Rod Yoder, are the problem — not a rogue aerial hunter, Gary Colbath, Janvrin's lawyer, said.

Yoder testified that GF&P regulations require pilots to get permission from him or someone else in the department before hunting, but in 2000, he indicated they didn't need to call.

"I probably said, 'I'm not going to stand in your way'" of hunting without authorization, Yoder said, adding that his supervisors knew about it.

"That was beyond you then?" Colbath asked.

"Correct," Yoder said. "This goes back many years."

Janvrin did call to report the Sept. 9 hunt after it happened, Yoder said.

That hunt was in response to a request from Darlene Welch of Ludlow, who testified that she and her husband lost 66 lambs and more older sheep to coyotes.

"Some we found bodies, and some we did not," she said.

Robert Prieksat of Pierre, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service agent in charge of North Dakota and South Dakota, testified at length about when the two coyotes were likely killed and what he and Janvrin discussed during his investigation.

Janvrin initially didn't mention a second coyote on Burghduff's land but later did, Prieksat said.

"At that point, he changed his story, and he said that the first coyote, he ended up killing it there because the sun was in his eyes and he couldn't see the fence line boundary, and the second coyote was wounded so he flew up there and shot it," he said.

Prieksat also testified that a dead sheep on Welch's land had been dead longer than a couple of days. "In my opinion, it was at least a month."

That would support the prosecution's argument that Janvrin wasn't responding to an emergency call from a rancher but was killing coyotes in September 2002 without a direct request for help.

Welch drew laughter when she said the carcass was old but the killing had been going on since August, more than a month before the hunts in question.

"That's a sheep that's been dead for a very long time," she said of a photo of the carcass.

A federal lab concluded five of the six shotgun-shell casings found next to the two carcasses on Burghduff's land were fired from Janvrin's gun. Tests on the sixth casing were inconclusive.

Prosecutors have said that is the basis of the charges against Janvrin — that he should not have been over Burghduff's land.

Prieksat said Janvrin acknowledged he didn't recently get permission from Burghduff but had in the past.

"His reason for hunting on Lex Burghduff's was that four or five years ago Lex had allegedly given him permission," Prieksat said.

On the stand Tuesday, Burghduff said they did not have such an agreement.

But Clark Blake, president of the predator board that pays Janvrin to kill coyotes, testified Wednesday that it is common practice for pilots to report a coyote was killed for the rancher who filed the complaint, even if the kill happened on a neighboring ranch.

In other words, Janvrin would be following accepted rules if he shot the two coyotes over Burghduff's ranch.

"They're still written down for the ranch that called in the complaint," Blake said of the coyote kills. "It's the way that it's been done ever since I've been on the board."

Reuben Olson, a Harding County rancher and former predator-control board member, testified that he "wouldn't trust" Burghduff but has a "very high opinion of Jerry."

If convicted, Janvrin could be fined and sent to prison and have to forfeit his airplane and shotgun, which were seized.

Testimony resumes this morning. The jury should have the case by noon.
http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2003/09/18/news/state/top/state01.txt

Does South Dakota Fish and Game not have a physcological testing program for their hiring of game wardens, trappers, and employees?...The more I read on this site indicates if they don't they should- if they already do they need to find a better test...Possibly need a complete psychiatric workup on some .........

Oldtimer said:
Does South Dakota Fish and Game not have a physcological testing program for their hiring of game wardens, trappers, and employees?...The more I read on this site indicates if they don't they should- if they already do they need to find a better test...Possibly need a complete psychiatric workup on some .........

I believe SH is living proof of the fact they dont............good luck OT

A hunter walking out in the field on opening day of antelope season, dressed in orange and packing a rifle is not evidence of a crime being committed. Where is the probable cause in that case?

Liberty Belle we have in many states check points were you can and will get pulled over without probable cause to check for DUI's and seat belt compliance, were is the probable cause there? They have nothing until the point your escorted to the side of the road and checked, NO probable cause needed!

A game warden needs the ability to check hunters and fisherman on private ground, you take that away and you will have more violations not less! Maybe someday you will get your wish and then we will see if your state has more violations,the same or less? If more what will you be willing to do about it?

It is much easier to catch someone in the act or in the process of violation, than it is after the fact by hours,days or weeks. This will demand more time from the wardens and they will be spread even thinner and the service will go down, more poaching and less convictions due to time constraints.

Doing preventative law enforcement works much better than waiting for a crime to occur in these situations. Large land tracts and the ability to break the law = more violations. Alot of states have tip programs and they help out alot, but cost effective for a state is to allow law enforcement to do their jobs at the proper times and with good sound methods. Again can you state were you or someone you know to have had a direct and blatant offense to your property by a game warden? If so let's hear it and also if it is 100% factual then that person needs to live up to what happened and face the music.

The plain view rule takes place in many states, you get pulled over for say speeding/running a red light, the officer can then look inside your vehicle in anything in plain view, if that turns up things that gives him consent to check the rest of your vehicle. You may have just been speeding, but it can lead into much more without the intent of stopping you looking for drugs.

I'm mean think about it, if all hunters were to go through a check point how many game wardens and law enforcement officals would a state need? It would be at a staggering cost to taxpayers, not to mention many would slide through given the land mass and timing of these types of things. Again I feel this is a beef against your states Game dept for much more than the so called right to search hunters on ones private property, I think this goes alot deeper than that. Your group would be more unified and have more backing if the truth was laid out for the Joe Public to see, otherwise your batting .500 at the very best, because most good sportsman and people wouldn't find this to be much of an intrusion on your private property rights, if you have little to no fishing your talking the ability or need of a game warden on your property for what 3-4 months out of a year? Then during that time spand how many times would the Game Warden make it onto your property? 1-3 I'm willing to bet at the most, unless illlegal activitys are taking place.

I find this thread interesting and like to hear all sides, but I also back law enforecment to have the ability to do their jobs, that is becomming more of a rare thing these days and making the world a much more dangerous place to live. Seems that the violator anymore has more rights than law enforcement, with all the plea deals and time served crap and the joke of punishments dealt out to many offenders, it is almost making crime pay anymore these days!

Itrap4u: Liberty Belle we have in many states check points were you can and will get pulled over without probable cause to check for DUI's and seat belt compliance, were is the probable cause there? They have nothing until the point your escorted to the side of the road and checked, NO probable cause needed!
Wrong again. The only way law enforcement can do checks for DUI's, seat belts, insurance, drivers license, etc. is if they check every car just like game wardens do their checks of all vehicles for hunting violations.

Itrap4u: I find this thread interesting and like to hear all sides, but I also back law enforecment to have the ability to do their jobs, that is becomming more of a rare thing these days and making the world a much more dangerous place to live.
I too back law enforcement being able to do their jobs, but not at the expense of the loss of our constitutional rights. My father was a cop and my husband's favorite uncle was shot and killed in the line of duty, so we understand very well the dangers they face on a daily basis, but that hardly justifies the game and fish's assertion that they can trespass on my land without my knowledge or consent just on the outside chance that some hunter may be hunting in the wrong unit or not wearing his blaze orange. Sorry, can't go along with you on this one.

Oldtimer: Does South Dakota Fish and Game not have a physcological testing program for their hiring of game wardens, trappers, and employees?...The more I read on this site indicates if they don't they should- if they already do they need to find a better test...Possibly need a complete psychiatric workup on some .........
That's not a bad idea, Oldtimer. As a law enforcement officer yourself, what do you think about GF&P's stand on violating property rights to enforce hunting regulations?

THis co access issue is a simple rorshach (sp) test. It all goes to ones willingness to trade private rights for law enforcement.

Certainly game law enforcement is enhanced with CO access to private property, this is indisputable. (We're not talking about probable cause searches here because the probable cause allows a search.)

Absolutely, private property rights are diminished if a CO can spread scours and spurge on private property in the pursuit of unknown violations.

The solution is political and that's really the end.

There is one nasty fraudulent accusation that appears here and everywhere else freedom is diminished that goes like "if ya ain't doing nuttiin wrong, what does whatever hurt." I really have a distaste for this logic because its backwards logic. We began with a constitution that said "this is all the state can do - no more."

I urge all ranchers to view freedom like their ranch - its your charge to pass down better than you received. Hopefully the turf on your ranch is tighter with each generation, and similarly freedom must be protected. Remember, if you don't pass down freedom, the rest doesn't much matter.

Brad S THis co access issue is a simple rorshach (sp) test. It all goes to ones willingness to trade private rights for law enforcement.

Certainly game law enforcement is enhanced with CO access to private property, this is indisputable. (We're not talking about probable cause searches here because the probable cause allows a search.)
How true. And by just stopping to visit with the landowners in his area, like the much touted "improved communications" guidelines set down by GF&P tells the game wardens to do, he could easily get permission from the landowners. If this would have been how the CO operated from the git-go, none of this whole Open Fields blowup would have happened and our land would be open to hunting, for free, as it's always been.

Brad S: Absolutely, private property rights are diminished if a CO can spread scours and spurge on private property in the pursuit of unknown violations.

The solution is political and that's really the end.
Exactly right. Until landowner rights are protected by SD state law, our land will remain locked out because we will not stand for the GF&P's high handed tactics and it's insistence on violating private property rights.

Brad S:There is one nasty fraudulent accusation that appears here and everywhere else freedom is diminished that goes like "if ya ain't doing nuttiin wrong, what does whatever hurt." I really have a distaste for this logic because its backwards logic. We began with a constitution that said "this is all the state can do - no more."

I urge all ranchers to view freedom like their ranch - its your charge to pass down better than you received. Hopefully the turf on your ranch is tighter with each generation, and similarly freedom must be protected. Remember, if you don't pass down freedom, the rest doesn't much matter
Very well said. Our constitution gives us those property rights and also says that we are innocent until proven guilty. GF&P is trying to reverse both of those concepts and we're not going to stand for it.

Thanks for your insightful post and carry on without me, will you? I'm flying to Texas for the week to babysit a couple of the grandbabies while my daughter and her husband attend a medical conference down there.

HAYMAKER, TXTibbs and jersey lily – keep looking up. I'll wave when I go over. :wink:

Check in your laws because in other states they can pick and choose who gets stopped and wave other vehicles through on a quick check. They don't need and don't do a full inspection on ALL vehicles when setup for DUI or seatbelts.
Also if 2 guys are sitting out front in their lawns drinking beers and their age looks questionable, does the poilce officer have the right to ask for a photo ID and check to see your of legal age to drink? Most states yes they can, or the adult can get it for contributing to minors correct?
Again your issue is with your game dept and has more to do with other ideals than just private property rights, if you got your wish I'm betting it wouldn't take long for the next "Hot topic" issue to get your feathers ruffled?
Many landowners in other states than just yours, have this idea that they own the land so they can be held above game laws and take what they want, when they want and by whoever they want and when they get caught that makes for alot of angry landowners.
Would you complain if a HP gave you a ticket for speeding at 5- 6 over the speed limit or gladly pay the fine?

Itrap4u said:
Check in your laws because in other states they can pick and choose who gets stopped and wave other vehicles through on a quick check. They don't need and don't do a full inspection on ALL vehicles when setup for DUI or seatbelts.
Also if 2 guys are sitting out front in their lawns drinking beers and their age looks questionable, does the poilce officer have the right to ask for a photo ID and check to see your of legal age to drink? Most states yes they can, or the adult can get it for contributing to minors correct?
Again your issue is with your game dept and has more to do with other ideals than just private property rights, if you got your wish I'm betting it wouldn't take long for the next "Hot topic" issue to get your feathers ruffled?
Many landowners in other states than just yours, have this idea that they own the land so they can be held above game laws and take what they want, when they want and by whoever they want and when they get caught that makes for alot of angry landowners.
Would you complain if a HP gave you a ticket for speeding at 5- 6 over the speed limit or gladly pay the fine?

Your full of B*** S***. You sound like you have an axe to grind with landowners. :mad:

Latest posts