• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hunters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cowpuncher

Reaction score
We lease our ranch to an outfitter for hunting. This guy doesn't bother us much and I only hear from him twice a year when he sends money.
The money is enough to get another 4wd pickup every other year or so.

But today. a lawyer called wanting to lease the ranch for hunting. Turns out that the outfitter charges $7,500 per gun and if someone actually kills a trophy, he is assessed a tropy fee in addition. Always wondered how he made a living - now I know.

I doubt that we will change anything - maybe try to shame him into paying a bit more!!

foreman said:

sounds to me like we are all in the wrong business!!! :shock: :shock: Bust my rump 13 hours a day saving lives and some yahoo makes the big bucks hunting!! What's wrong with this picture?? :roll:

I think I would hire me some Guide's and go into the hunting business.

We have a couple of local outfitters that seem to be doing quite well; our provincial regs. will not allow paid hunts- guiding and lodging only I believe. We could have huge business opportunities if the game act was opened up more to include paid hunts; this could really help landowners if they were given the chance to participate!

Our local outfitters make even more off producing and selling wildlife and hunt videos than they do off the hunters!

The buffalo ranch we were on in SD had a PD problem, so of course we let anyone on who had the urge to hunt them.
Except one guy. He "guided" hunts (ie, he he drove them out to our pastures!) for $200 per day, per person, but he didn't see why he should pay the ranch for hunting priveleges. :roll:
He also had a bad habit of leaving gates open. )If you think the neighbors get grumpy about a few cattle wandering the neighborhood, take a guess how they respond to few buffalo...)

There was one day the lesser half caught him trying to sneak into one of our pastures (through the padlocked gate). He happily informed the passengers that we let people hunt for free on our place. But Mr. Guide here was not allowed on the place at all. He then gave them his number so they could call next time they were in the neighborhood. :D
Mr. Guide was plenty ticked. lol

we lived up there in your area for a while at trinidad co. on the crazy french ranch
those folks got a large fee on there hunts with guide and lodginging i think they are charging $1,7500 to hunt a trophy elk in the bugle and 1,2500 the rest of the season
it's crazy what some of those other outfitters up there charge also

Charging and collecting are two different things. :? I was approached by an outfitter and signed the contract :) - - - - Of course I had to tell the hunters that have hunted for years to sign up with them or hunt elsware. :(

Bottom line is I have not heard from the outfitter since they got the contract :mad: . No money :mad: - - - no hunters - - - just a posting on their site that requires the hunters to pay $1,000 per gun. :x

I am bound by the contract for this year but next year I will allow the old hunters back. I bought the next farm to me after the contract and allow one group of hunters to hunt there and they have helped me police the area and are going to rebuild some barn doors for me. :) This is considerably less than what the outfitter offered but an offer is not the same as money in hand. :!:

Beware of someone getting you under contract - - - put a deadline on it so that if you don't get paid the contract is null and void.

Our deal is year to year and the outfitter pays half by April first and the rest on November 15. He has several large ranches under the same deal in the area and one default would likely result in losing a lot of ranches.

Latest posts