• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hunting Elk

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
So what would you do????
Elk season starts here September 15th. We have three houses/cabins we rent out for a nominal charge of $40/ person/ night. Those that rent a bed also get permission to hunt here. It's on foot but for Elk or Moose they can retrieve with an ATV and quite often I have helped.
We can't charge to hunt in Saskatchewan but we do control access on our crown lease land. I stop the bow hunters for the two weeks of Elk as it's a very tough tag to draw. Don't want guys hiding in camo out there with guys with high powered rifles looking for something hiding.
My question is I get calls from others wanting to hunt that aren't staying here.
They are all someone's grandson or so and so's best friend. Their is only 15 tags drawn in our zone and I have had 13 of them wanting to hunt the ranch the same day.
It it wrong to give preference to those staying here?

Attachments

• Jakes Elk.jpg
    Jakes Elk.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 18
It's a minimum 14 year wait to get drawn in your zone now so all of those 15 tag holders are likely to be serious hunters and "good guys". In all those years of daydreaming I'd bet no one's plan involves 13 guys in the same pasture, we've got regular season for that haha.
You've got to do a sort somehow.

We buy elk tags over the counter here in Wyoming same for deer. We have 7 hunters draw deer tags, the kids handle the hunting. They have a 2 bedroom apartment an also feed the hunters. They charge $1500/usually for 3 days but some get to stay a day or to more.the kids help them two. From taking them out and letting them hunt on their own, so a little guideing.Spink turkey is 150 a day, hunters that want rom and board it 300.

e that

I used to guide hunters. I'm not sure if I like industry or not. Accessing good land to go hunting is basically impossible if your from town and don't have deep pockets. I'm talking about southern Alberta. Basically no rifle ranges and so much hassle and expense. If a young person from town hunts or owns as rifle its only if he can hunt on grandparents far or something. Plus he would probably be a bow hunter.
I dont know what to say Big Muddy. Do any of these hunters help you fence? While back you talked about having a lot of fencing to do. I would let guys who helped you fence hunt on your land.
Liberals want to replace hunters with wolves same as they want to replace ranchers with Buffalo and Natives,parks. Down the road when we lose generations or rifle hunting culture we will lose or legal ability to own firearms

So what would you do????
Elk season starts here September 15th. We have three houses/cabins we rent out for a nominal charge of $40/ person/ night. Those that rent a bed also get permission to hunt here. It's on foot but for Elk or Moose they can retrieve with an ATV and quite often I have helped.
We can't charge to hunt in Saskatchewan but we do control access on our crown lease land. I stop the bow hunters for the two weeks of Elk as it's a very tough tag to draw. Don't want guys hiding in camo out there with guys with high powered rifles looking for something hiding.
My question is I get calls from others wanting to hunt that aren't staying here.
They are all someone's grandson or so and so's best friend. Their is only 15 tags drawn in our zone and I have had 13 of them wanting to hunt the ranch the same day.
It it wrong to give preference to those staying here?
Your place. Your choice. When someone pays your taxes and mortgage let them have preference. If people dont understand wernt your freinds anyway. As I sit here by myself typing to people on the inter web. LOL

I used to guide hunters. I'm not sure if I like industry or not. Accessing good land to go hunting is basically impossible if your from town and don't have deep pockets. I'm talking about southern Alberta. Basically no rifle ranges and so much hassle and expense. If a young person from town hunts or owns as rifle its only if he can hunt on grandparents far or something. Plus he would probably be a bow hunter.
I dont know what to say Big Muddy. Do any of these hunters help you fence? While back you talked about having a lot of fencing to do. I would let guys who helped you fence hunt on your land.
Liberals want to replace hunters with wolves same as they want to replace ranchers with Buffalo and Natives,parks. Down the road when we lose generations or rifle hunting culture we will lose or legal ability to own firearms
Valid points

Latest posts