• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hunting on your land?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Do you let hunters on your land

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AlbertaBorn

Reaction score
My apologies if this topic has been done before. And I'm well aware that hunting season is over but I thought this would still be an interesting topic.

Absolutely. I'm tired of watching herds of 50 or 60 deer or 30 elk chow down on my hay crop, or get into my hay yard and tear bales apart. Dunno what its like in Alberta, but our zones are completely mismanaged and over-conserved.

Rod

DiamondS- While we don't have problems in the yard, our country is overpopulated with deer. I agree with you on SERM mismanagement and overconservation. It's just a matter of time before a severe winter will cause problems like we've never seen before!

Don't allow unlimited access-Ty and I hunt pretty hard ourseves-but after were tagged out or if somebody wants to fill a doe tag they're welcome.

Not over around here, either.
Coyotes are always in season, as are prairie dogs.
Pheasant is still going, too. :)

Yes, we allow hunters, WITH PERMISSION.

We were digging through the boneyard out in one of our pastures one day. The kids were climbing around on this old pull-type combine and the lesser half and I were digging for a few chunks of steel that were still useable when we heard this ping, ping sound.
What in the world?

"We're getting shot at!" I freaked. :shock:

We were just over a little knoll from a large prairie dog town, in our pasture. We all bailed in the pickup, circled around the town so we weren't in the line of fire anymore and went up and chewed out the idiot who was picking off dogs from the road. He wasn't technically on our land, but he *was* technically shooting at us. :mad:

I tore him a new one. lol
You idiot! We had little kids over here!

He didn't know anyone was here today.

I don't give a rat's @$$! You know it's not your place. You know you didn't get permission to hunt. Kill all the blooming PD's you want, JUST CALL AND GET PERMISSION.
But at least we figured out why the cows weren't watering up at that windmill, they had to cross the PD town and that probably seemed like a dangerous proposition.

As for maqnaging willife, in this state they manage for money I guess. They never get all the tags sold in our unit.

Years ago, we had a good CO and he would bring fencing material out to anyone who was having a problem with deer in their hay. He told me later that he got screwed by lots of people who used the material to build chicken coops and different things, besides deer proof stack yards. Most people around here all have at least one deer proof yard where they put their 2nd cutting alfalfa.

I used to be bothered a little by deer getting into the corn pile (when we had a corn pile) but then one year me and the neoghbor had pay hunters. After that, whenever I saw those deer eating some of the corn, I just looked at it as an investment! :wink:

I've never turned anyone away who wanted to shoot does. No one even asks anymore. Oh well, deer haven't been much of a problem since I quit putting up hay.

cowsense said:
It's just a matter of time before a severe winter will cause problems like we've never seen before!

We're already having grief up here with disease. The tree huggers are busy trying to find a "cure" for CWD, saying that it came from the tame herds. I won't argue that point, even though I think the CWD came from the wild, but CWD is a natural disease that only rears its head when there is overpopulation. Its natures way of thinning the population, and these idiots are trying to figure out a way to short circuit mother nature.

Rod

Even tho i go by SDHUNTER, i also farm and yep, if someone asks i usually let them, unless they smell of booze or I have a bad feeling or :wink: something. One thing i wish more would do is tell them they can if they walk only. Around here many think getting ready for hunting season means making sure the mirror on the truck is good and tight to use as a rifle rest. Many times i grab the gun and go with or my son does. BUT NO ONE DRIVES, MUST ACTUALLY HUNT....WALK IN AND WALK OUT, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DRAG A DEER.

Jinglebob how many doe hunters would you let in on your property when you have your paid buck hunters in there? What do you charge for a guy to come shoot does? Not all or even a majority of the deer hitting your stackyards are bucks right? The problem is once hunters find out you are pay to hunt they go elsewere, it's not the common joe hunter who can afford or is willing to pay to hunt, the high dollar rollers are looking for horns not meat, I would state to all before a buck gets shot you must shoot a doe, otherwise your not helping control numbers by having 6-12 horn hunters come in and fill their tags!

Your land run it as you wish by all means, but the avergae hunter takes it when so many say we can't get doe hunters when in reality those that have paid hunters don't want doe hunters on their ground spooking out those horns! The good Joe hunter who wants meat and helps limit the population gets told no come back another day in alot of cases, when they would be more than happy opening weekends to fill those doe tags!

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Absolutely. I'm tired of watching herds of 50 or 60 deer or 30 elk chow down on my hay crop, or get into my hay yard and tear bales apart. Dunno what its like in Alberta, but our zones are completely mismanaged and over-conserved.

Rod

I agree we have had as many as 80 deer or 200 elk in the yard.. Always had trouble with conseveration dept responding to my concerns.Finally got so bad I let some native families come and thin them out one year. After that conversation dept responded very promptly..

We do let some hunters on every fall.

Itrap4u said:
Jinglebob how many doe hunters would you let in on your property when you have your paid buck hunters in there? What do you charge for a guy to come shoot does? Not all or even a majority of the deer hitting your stackyards are bucks right? The problem is once hunters find out you are pay to hunt they go elsewere, it's not the common joe hunter who can afford or is willing to pay to hunt, the high dollar rollers are looking for horns not meat, I would state to all before a buck gets shot you must shoot a doe, otherwise your not helping control numbers by having 6-12 horn hunters come in and fill their tags!

Your land run it as you wish by all means, but the avergae hunter takes it when so many say we can't get doe hunters when in reality those that have paid hunters don't want doe hunters on their ground spooking out those horns! The good Joe hunter who wants meat and helps limit the population gets told no come back another day in alot of cases, when they would be
more than happy opening weekends to fill those doe tags!

I had those pay hunter over ten years ago. I had one pay hunter 3 years ago.

If the word is out that I only take pay hunters it is a misconception. I've turned down quite a few who said they wanted "wall hangers". There are none around here big enought o pay to get mounted, so I figure they must not be big enough to shoot yet! :)

I've only had two guys who wanted does for meat and they didn't shoot any as they claimed they just weren't big enough.

I've never met very many "good Joe Hunters' just lots of braggin' slobs. The last ones i had was my brother and a friend who turned out to be 4 people all together. They drove all over and knocked down more grass than the deer would have eaten in a year.

Maybe no one asked this year as they knew I was in the lock out.

Again, if someone would ask to hunt for meat, I wouldn't let them hunt this year, I don't need the GF&P trampling on my rights! :wink:

I did invite a friend to bring his boys out next year. Of course he wants mulies and those are few and far between around this place. Lots of whitetail does tho'. Don't seem to be bothering me any.

As far as taking hunter out, that is sure the best, but I have better things to do than argue with slobs who don't believe you when you tell them where they are apt to find a deer. I've had way more pain from hunters than I've had fun. And most are the local "youths"!

We have always allowed hunting- but always by permission only...About 5 years ago I signed onto the Montana Block Management Program- still have control over who hunts and all rules - the state pays you a yearly fee derived upon by the animal types available and the number of hunters utilizing the area- while exempting you from the liability associated with fee hunting.....Pays about 1/3 of the taxes on the place...But is about 1/2 the amount that the Outfitters are paying to lease hunting rights.....Everything around us has been leased out to outfitters...I like the Block management because it gives the local community hunters a place to hunt- most of who couldn't afford what the outfitters charge....

Oldtimer said:
We have always allowed hunting- but always by permission only...About 5 years ago I signed onto the Montana Block Management Program- still have control over who hunts and all rules - the state pays you a yearly fee derived upon by the animal types available and the number of hunters utilizing the area- while exempting you from the liability associated with fee hunting.....Pays about 1/3 of the taxes on the place...But is about 1/2 the amount that the Outfitters are paying to lease hunting rights.....Everything around us has been leased out to outfitters...I like the Block management because it gives the local community hunters a place to hunt- most of who couldn't afford what the outfitters charge....

nuther subsidy there Oldtimer? :wink: :D

frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:

nuther subsidy there Oldtimer? :wink: :D

Like your $2.50 AUM average Crown grazing leases that you get all the oil and timber royalties off too? :wink:
I own this property....

Latest posts