• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hurricane Irene Hits Montana

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Today the weather forecast was for scattered thunderstorms- 30% chance of moisture... At noon it was 90 degrees at the house...At about 2:30 a little cloud rolled in - couple flashs of lightning and claps of thunder- and then it started dumping rain... About 35-40 mph winds...

Picked up 3.8" in about 2 hours...And a couple miles each direction got little or none (weather bureau is 2 miles north and they got .28)...

Weather bureau called me a couple times during the storm to check how much we had as they said their radar was showing the storm was just sitting over us and down the creek/river valley - and dumping...

I don't know if it means good mojo or bad- as we can always use the moisture- but I was hoping this afternoon to start cleaning out corrals that were just drying out from the spring and floods....Be awhile now before they are dry again...

We had the heat and humidity and wind all day. The wind finally went down and Dad and I went and raked and baled for a couple of hours then at dark the wind came up again and we had to quit raking. :?

I sure wish I could send some moisture south to you folks Lilly... My sister over by Austin has been telling me how bad things are...Thinking they may have to sell their cows...

We were getting dry here- and with all the moisture we've had earlier there is grass everywhere- and we're starting to get fires...While I was getting rained on- I heard they were fighting a pretty good sized CRP fire about 70 miles northeast of us...

Sad thing about this rain is it was really isolated- and according to the weatherguy that called me only covered an area about 3 miles wide...

It is looking like parts of Texas have some chance of getting rain:

Will Texas be the Next Target for a Hurricane?
By Alex Sosnowski, Expert Senior Meteorologist
Aug 30, 2011; 9:08 AM ETShare | .

There is a possibility that more than just tropical moisture flows into Texas starting later this week. We could be looking at tropical storm formation in the western Gulf of Mexico.

An upcoming area of disturbed weather in the western Gulf of Mexico bears watching from Louisiana to Texas and northeastern Mexico.

The tropics may yet lend a hand in the Texas drought situation as it appears a system rolling through the western Caribbean now may later gel in the western Gulf of Mexico.

That system is rather disorganized at this time, but there is room for development late in the week.

The seriousness of the drought and heat in Texas goes without saying, and most of Texas would be willing to take a hit from a tropical storm or minimal hurricane to bring a change.

We are not going to say either is definitely coming to Texas at this point, but there will be a disturbance milling around in the western Gulf of Mexico during the second half of this week.

This infrared satellite image from Tuesday morning shows the feature of interest over the western Caribbean, to the northeast of Nicaragua and Honduras.
If that system is able to avoid land long enough, shifting weather patterns up north and to the west could allow it to organize, strengthen and eventually drift toward Texas real estate.

Interests in the Gulf of Mexico and the central and western Gulf coast should continue to monitor the situation.

According to Long Range Expert Paul Pastelok, "At the very least it does appear that there will be some rain getting into eastern Texas starting later this week, especially south and east of Dallas."

Elsewhere across the Atlantic Basin, Katia has formed and is expected to become our next hurricane by the end of the week.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54407/will-texas-be-the-next-target.asp

Yes we have a good chance for some rain 3 or 4 days later this week into Monday.

The grass looks dead. Or what's left of it. Not much there. And I just couldn't stand it, had to see if it was burnt up dead....or gone dormant. So I layed the water line on the ground and let it run in a low spot. Filled up to about an inch deep. Done this about three weeks ago. That spot turned green and started growing. Was out there yesterday...and it's still green. So...I keep thinkin to myself...if we could just get at least an inch of rain on the entire pasture....it'd do some good.

John Pulaski- the Northern Ag News weatherman said the dirty 4 letter word in his forecast today-- SNOW!! Altho its only forecast for the higher elevations...

Which made me curious so I checked for the earliest we have had snow up here on the prairie- and it was in 1970 on Sept 13th...

Winter is creeping up on us..

I came in from Greeley, Co and Cheyenne lastnight and when I hit Douglas it was clouding up and lightning all around. When I hit Wright I pulled over to fuel up before I got home and the thunder and lightning was about as bad as Ive ever seen and Ive been thru five hurricanes. When I pulled out of.the filling station the bottom dropped out. We didnt have any wind to speak of, but I cant remember ever seeing it rain that hard anywhere. When I pulled into the corrals to unload 11 miles north it was barely sprinkling. It was like someone just turned off the spigot.

We just continue to break records this year!
THE ALL-TIME YEARLY RAINFALL RECORD IN GLASGOW WAS BROKEN LAST
EVENING...AUG 31ST...WHEN 0.47 INCHES OF RAIN FELL. 2011 NOW HAS
21.00 INCHES FOR THE YEAR...BREAKING THE OLD RECORD FOR THE WHOLE
YEAR OF 20.73 INCHES IN 1938.

Winter from He77 gave us a new record snowfall- and that and record rainfall for several spring months gave us 90 days of flooding and new record flooding!!

I'd be plumb happy to just get back to a normal year...

Well this nameless tropical depression sittin out there in the Gulf....the weather guys are saying that it could flood Texas.

Trinity man's predicting that Texas sucks it dry before it makes it 100 miles inland LOL

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Well this nameless tropical depression sittin out there in the Gulf....the weather guys are saying that it could flood Texas.

Trinity man's predicting that Texas sucks it dry before it makes it 100 miles inland LOL

Lilly- I'm a hoping that depression runs right across Texas (and my sisters place in the Hill country) and drops you folks lots of water...

I think maybe the weather patterns are changing- because they are predicting a beautiful dry Indian summer for us- so we can finish harvest and haying.. :D - and hopefully that means some cooler weather and moisture will hit the southern areas so droughted out..
I attended an auction sale today where I got to talk with a lot of my neighbors-- and it was really nice to hear - but also sad to hear when you think of all the droughted areas- that about every pasture up here could have ran double the amount of cattle they usually do...Some (the same as me) had pasture/leases we never used because there was no reason to...

Yeah and down here....nearly everyone has sold everything they had.

Back in 94 we had a tropical depression come in, and pretty much sit on top of us for serveral days. Ended up with 25 inches of rain in 4 Days. We could stand another one of those. Definately would fill up these bone dry tanks....and maybe put a lil green on the ground.

Latest posts