• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hurt dog HELP

Help Support Ranchers.net:

feeder

Reaction score
Our son's yellow lab got hurt somehow yesterday. He has a good sized bump on his spine. Warmer to touch on the bump. He can stand but shakes some. He doesn't move if he don't have to. He is laying on his side now and he doesn't attempt to sit up when I pet him. Does this sound like a broken back and can a vet do anything? Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Hard to say feeder.........Just have to load him up and take him to a vet that can take an xray... I do know but our lab- delmation went in a culvert and spooked a rabbit out of it and when he came out he was dragging his backend.. Tried to get him to stay on my coat while I walked back to the house to get the gator. But he wouldn't stay and by the time we got to the house he was standing wobblely and slowly got better... He still has a bum leg, but does get around pretty good. He has trouble climbing stairs and can't seem to push off one leg.. He has changed his way of getting up and around by using his front legs more... My prayers go out to you as I know how attached we can be with our animals..

Trip to the vet to have him checked over sounds like it's in order. Not knowin how he got hurt...that lump could be anything from a spinal injury to a snake bite.......anybody's guess. I'd take him in.

after sayin snake bite....I got to thankin...prolly aint no snakes movin up there yet...too cold still.

But I would still have it checked.....an xray aint that expensive usually.

Thanks for the advise, I was almost hysterical when I posted. I love his dog so much, that scares me. I did take him to the vet and they think just nerve damage. Got a shot of cortisone and got predisone pills for a few days. He might have some residual effects but he won't die. We think one of our mama cows possibly got him. He likes hanging around the little calf. I think he thinks the calf is a playmate, just his size!!

Latest posts