• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Huskers On Probation.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
yet let off the hook bigtime:
LINCOLN, Neb. -- The NCAA put Nebraska on two years' probation and endorsed the school's self-imposed fine of $38,000 on Wednesday as part of an impermissible benefits case involving textbooks and school supplies.

The NCAA spared Nebraska a stiffer punishment for what the Division I Committee on Infractions determined to be major violations across multiple sports over multiple years.

Nebraska reported the problem and last July acknowledged that it had improperly distributed nearly $28,000 in textbooks and other school supplies to athletes from 2007-10.

The school initially proposed that the athletic department pay a fine of $28,000. Athletic department spokesman Keith Mann said the university bookstore is adding $10,000 to the amount because it believed it shared culpability. The $38,000 will be donated to local charities and the probation will run through Jan. 31, 2014.

"We are pleased the NCAA chose to accept our self-imposed penalties without additional sanctions," athletic director Tom Osborne said in a statement. "We are also pleased that the NCAA Committee on Infractions noted there was no intent to violate NCAA rules and no members of our coaching staffs were involved in the matter. We regret that this violation occurred."

The NCAA allows schools to cover the cost of required course textbooks in athletic scholarships but not extra, professor-recommended books. Nebraska said it uncovered the violation on its own and determined that 492 athletes in 19 sports received books and supplies that were not required.

Individual athletes received a benefit ranging from approximately $580 to incidental amounts, the NCAA said. Because the violations included a large number of student-athletes and sports over portions of five academic years, the university agreed it failed to monitor its program.

Osborne said the athletic department failed to properly communicate with the bookstore concerning the NCAA rule regarding the use of athletic department funds for the purchase of required and recommended textbooks.

"We have taken corrective measures to ensure a violation of this type does not happen again," Osborne said.

Nebraska said in its report to the NCAA that there was no intentional wrongdoing, monetary reward or competitive advantage gained by the athletes involved.

The school said the average extra benefit was less than $60 per athlete. The total value was calculated by taking the cost of the book when purchased, minus the amount refunded to athletics when the books were returned.

Big time intentional criminal activity......Reported to the NC2A by Nebraska, plus a 10K kicker from the bookstore. Damn...these violations are plumb serious....... :lol:

Guess if we really want a National Championship we'll have to up the ante....at least more than $580.........

I just dropped over $700 on daughter's textbooks for this semester, and she's not participating in athletics.......

Should of been forced to cut half of our scholarships for all sports with such an egregious violation as that.

Mike said:
"Lack of Institutional Control" is egregious in itself.

In this case, "Lack of Institutional Control" is like finding a cookie crumb on the floor of a restaurant and calling that "Lack of Sanitary Control".

492 students? Cookie crumbs? :lol:

NCAA Puts Nebraska On Probation For Book Violations

13 days agoby Justin Witzmann

The NCAA put the University of Nebraska on 2 years probation Wednesday for allowing athletes to receive impermissible benefits in the form of textbooks and other school supplies, according to a story on Yahoo News. The NCAA also endorsed Nebraska's self-imposed $38,000 fine.

According to the Division I Committee of Infractions the violations occurred across numerous sports over a period of several years. Nebraska officially reported the incidents last July and admitted that the school had given impermissible benefits in the range of $28,000 from 2007-2010.

The $38,000 will be donated to local charities and the probation will last until January 31, 2014.

Athletic director and former Nebraska congressman Tom Osbornbe said that the school was pleased that the NCAA decided to accept the school's self-imposed sanctions. He also stated "We are pleased that the NCAA Committee on Infractions noted that there was no intent to violate NCAA rules and no members of our coaching staffs were involved in the matter. We regret the violations occurred."

The NCAA only allows athletic scholarships to provide required textbooks, but not professor recommended books. In an internal investigation the school found that 492 students in 19 different sports received books and supplies that were not required.

it is pretty small potatoes, but I heard Dr om try to explain it on the radio....I was not impressed wit the cover story.... thay KNEW what they were doing.

jigs said:
it is pretty small potatoes, but I heard Dr om try to explain it on the radio....I was not impressed wit the cover story.... thay KNEW what they were doing.

BS, Jiggsy, and you know it.

The way you haters are going on about this, you'd think this far overshadows the old SMU scandal.....

Just remember the old Bible verse about those without sin casting the first stone. I KNOW the MildCats ain't always been lily white. :roll:

Sandhusker said:
The SEC gives their kids cash, clothes, cars, etc.... Nebraska gives their kids books....

Alabama is on probation as we speak for the textbook problem. Same exact thing. But they got several wins set aside and other punishment.

They are screaming to high heaven about the slap on the wrist for the Huskers.

It was a way some teams chose to skirt the rules. Several teams did it.

pry helped that nebraska turned themselves in and put themselves on probation before the ncaa did anything.

Latest posts