• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I am a Minority

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ocm said:
I am sure I am a minority here. I am a member of OCM.

I am here to root out and destroy liberal ideas from those who call themselves conservative but aren't. (some of them don't even know it)

So prepare to have your eyes opened!

Is your aforementioned comment a threat or a promise? You are right about one thing; you are in the minority and that is a good thing. I truly hope you last longer than "David" did when he appeared on this forum with his claimed abundace of knowledge regarding "trade".

I can't wait for someone from the OCM to support their claim of branding others as liberal. That is the joke of the day, I mean week, or month. You have me confused already!!!!!

agman said:
ocm said:
Links are now fixed.
But here is the one article I challenged ~SH~ on.

http://www.competitivemarkets.com/news_and_events/newsletters/2005/july5tstevenson.htm

CAFTA - More Than A Trade Agreement
by
Terry A. Stevenson

A common claim used by CAFTA proponents is that it is more than a trade agreement. Indeed, government officials have used this phraseology in their attempt to gain Congressional passage of this "trade" pact. In a speech given to the Heritage Foundation on May 16, 2005, Deputy Secretary of State Robert Zoellick stated, "Our domestic debate over the U.S.-Central America-Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) is about much more than trade." A web site maintained by the International Trade Administration, an agency of The U.S. Department of Commerce, defends CAFTA-DR by saying, "… CAFTA-DR can be viewed as more than a trade agreement…." (http://www.ita.doc.gov/cafta/why_cafta.asp)

Interestingly, the same web site tells us, "U.S. export growth to the CAFTA-DR region has outperformed overall U.S. exports. From 2000 to 2004, export shipments to CAFTA-DR destinations grew by almost 16 percent, compared with less than 5 percent for overall U.S. exports." If that is true then why is a trade agreement necessary? The answer is that CAFTA-DR is indeed about "more than trade" and that provides one of the best reasons to reject it.

In the aforementioned speech Zoellick said of CAFTA-DR, "it will strengthen democracy through economic growth and open societies based on the rule of law." He said, also of CAFTA-DR, "It criminalizes bribery, casts sunlight on procedures long hidden from public scrutiny, and strengthens the rule of law." While it is certainly desirable to criminalize bribery, it can hardly be called "democracy" for a legislative act to be forced on Central American countries through a "trade agreement." Democracy is bottom-up, not top-down.

CAFTA-DR would not only impose requirements on Central American countries, it would also impose requirements on us. Internal trade preferences would be prohibited. Most states have laws that give some kind of preference to in-state contractors bidding on state projects.
CAFTA-DR would sweep aside such legislation -- no trade preferences allowed. In fact, any state legislation that a CAFTA country deemed unfair could be the basis of a complaint. An international tribunal would rule on the dispute, and no American entity can overrule its decision. The tribunal is superior to state legislatures, Congress, the President, and even the Supreme Court.

Even state constitutions would not be sacrosanct. For example, the State of Wyoming's Constitution says, "No person not a citizen of the United States or who has not declared his intention to become such, shall be employed upon or in connection with any state, county or municipal works or employment." This provision is currently used to prevent foreign citizens from bidding on contracts for the State or for any other governmental entity in Wyoming. Such a provision would almost certainly be challenged under CAFTA as an unfair trade restraint. The people of the State of Wyoming would likely have their constitution changed by a decree from an international tribunal, and they would have no recourse. Such possibilities advance oligarchy, not democracy.

Of course it could be argued that the tribunal would only address trade issues. Congress and the Supreme Court have broadly interpreted the "interstate commerce clause" of the U.S. Constitution, resulting in a great expansion of Federal authority over the States. That expansion has included a federal law that prohibits carrying a gun within a certain distance of schools. There would be much to fear from an "international commerce clause." The State of Utah has experienced this kind of erosion of its sovereignty when the WTO at the behest of the island nation of Antigua. The WTO decided that Utah's law prohibiting internet gambling unjustly limited Antigua's trade.

CAFTA-DR also would accomplish something that is not a part of the general public debate. According to the International Trade Administration web site mentioned above, "CAFTA-DR would promote close cooperation among the Central American countries, thereby advancing regional integration…." Advancing regional integration is a polite way of saying that there will be movement toward a North American Union after the pattern of the European Union. If the U.S. is to enter into a North American Union, it should be done with an informed vote. Since the E.U. still has not surpassed the economic power of the U.S. by means of their union, nor has their union increased their national security, there is no reason to assume that a North American Union would be beneficial for us. More importantly, the Declaration of Independence would have to be supplanted with a "Declaration of Dependence."

Finally, since supporters of CAFTA have clearly stated that it is "more than a trade agreement" we must question why it has not been submitted to Congress as a treaty, requiring a two-thirds majority approval in the Senate. Since CAFTA would surrender a great deal of our sovereignty, it certainly qualifies as a treaty. It would seem that the judiciary is not the only branch of government guilty of overreaching its constitutional authority. TS

What happened to your original thoughts OCM? You must be Haymaker in your Sunday duds. Cut and paste...cut and paste...

Say agman,I have noticed you do a lil cuttin and pastin yourself,and in case you havent noticed cuttin and pastin makes up the majority of topics discussed on the board. Interestingly, you over look that when convenient,
Surely you can muster a reply more suitable than your old original "BS"about Hay Maker cuttin & pastin? ...............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
agman said:
ocm said:
Links are now fixed.
But here is the one article I challenged ~SH~ on.

http://www.competitivemarkets.com/news_and_events/newsletters/2005/july5tstevenson.htm

CAFTA - More Than A Trade Agreement
by
Terry A. Stevenson

A common claim used by CAFTA proponents is that it is more than a trade agreement. Indeed, government officials have used this phraseology in their attempt to gain Congressional passage of this "trade" pact. In a speech given to the Heritage Foundation on May 16, 2005, Deputy Secretary of State Robert Zoellick stated, "Our domestic debate over the U.S.-Central America-Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) is about much more than trade." A web site maintained by the International Trade Administration, an agency of The U.S. Department of Commerce, defends CAFTA-DR by saying, "… CAFTA-DR can be viewed as more than a trade agreement…." (http://www.ita.doc.gov/cafta/why_cafta.asp)

Interestingly, the same web site tells us, "U.S. export growth to the CAFTA-DR region has outperformed overall U.S. exports. From 2000 to 2004, export shipments to CAFTA-DR destinations grew by almost 16 percent, compared with less than 5 percent for overall U.S. exports." If that is true then why is a trade agreement necessary? The answer is that CAFTA-DR is indeed about "more than trade" and that provides one of the best reasons to reject it.

In the aforementioned speech Zoellick said of CAFTA-DR, "it will strengthen democracy through economic growth and open societies based on the rule of law." He said, also of CAFTA-DR, "It criminalizes bribery, casts sunlight on procedures long hidden from public scrutiny, and strengthens the rule of law." While it is certainly desirable to criminalize bribery, it can hardly be called "democracy" for a legislative act to be forced on Central American countries through a "trade agreement." Democracy is bottom-up, not top-down.

CAFTA-DR would not only impose requirements on Central American countries, it would also impose requirements on us. Internal trade preferences would be prohibited. Most states have laws that give some kind of preference to in-state contractors bidding on state projects.
CAFTA-DR would sweep aside such legislation -- no trade preferences allowed. In fact, any state legislation that a CAFTA country deemed unfair could be the basis of a complaint. An international tribunal would rule on the dispute, and no American entity can overrule its decision. The tribunal is superior to state legislatures, Congress, the President, and even the Supreme Court.

Even state constitutions would not be sacrosanct. For example, the State of Wyoming's Constitution says, "No person not a citizen of the United States or who has not declared his intention to become such, shall be employed upon or in connection with any state, county or municipal works or employment." This provision is currently used to prevent foreign citizens from bidding on contracts for the State or for any other governmental entity in Wyoming. Such a provision would almost certainly be challenged under CAFTA as an unfair trade restraint. The people of the State of Wyoming would likely have their constitution changed by a decree from an international tribunal, and they would have no recourse. Such possibilities advance oligarchy, not democracy.

Of course it could be argued that the tribunal would only address trade issues. Congress and the Supreme Court have broadly interpreted the "interstate commerce clause" of the U.S. Constitution, resulting in a great expansion of Federal authority over the States. That expansion has included a federal law that prohibits carrying a gun within a certain distance of schools. There would be much to fear from an "international commerce clause." The State of Utah has experienced this kind of erosion of its sovereignty when the WTO at the behest of the island nation of Antigua. The WTO decided that Utah's law prohibiting internet gambling unjustly limited Antigua's trade.

CAFTA-DR also would accomplish something that is not a part of the general public debate. According to the International Trade Administration web site mentioned above, "CAFTA-DR would promote close cooperation among the Central American countries, thereby advancing regional integration…." Advancing regional integration is a polite way of saying that there will be movement toward a North American Union after the pattern of the European Union. If the U.S. is to enter into a North American Union, it should be done with an informed vote. Since the E.U. still has not surpassed the economic power of the U.S. by means of their union, nor has their union increased their national security, there is no reason to assume that a North American Union would be beneficial for us. More importantly, the Declaration of Independence would have to be supplanted with a "Declaration of Dependence."

Finally, since supporters of CAFTA have clearly stated that it is "more than a trade agreement" we must question why it has not been submitted to Congress as a treaty, requiring a two-thirds majority approval in the Senate. Since CAFTA would surrender a great deal of our sovereignty, it certainly qualifies as a treaty. It would seem that the judiciary is not the only branch of government guilty of overreaching its constitutional authority. TS

What happened to your original thoughts OCM? You must be Haymaker in your Sunday duds. Cut and paste...cut and paste...

Say agman,I have noticed you do a lil cuttin and pastin yourself,and in case you havent noticed cuttin and pastin makes up the majority of topics discussed on the board. Interestingly, you over look that when convenient,
Surely you can muster a reply more suitable than your old original "BS"about Hay Maker cuttin & pastin? ...............good luck

Please show me a cut and paste from me as you claim to have seen. I am waiting anxiously.

Well you can wait anxiously till the cows come home I aint about to start looking for your old posts to prove something that dont mean much,you think about it IM sure you will remember :wink: ..........good luck

Sandman: "If Japan has truly accepted terms with us, what is the hold up?"

Good question! Perhaps you need to make a trip to Japan and ask them.

Sandman: "They're thinking they see no need to not demand tested only beef and they're not impressed with the US's heavy handed handling of them."

Oh, I see, now you've become a spokesperson for the Japanese consumer?

You don't have a clue what they're thinking. As always, you speculate.

You're a real hoot! The Japanese government has basically agreed that there is no need for 100% testing, YET YOU INSIST THERE IS!

I'm not buying your 100% testing bullsh*t and I never will UNDER EXISTING TESTING METHODOLOGY.

Your lame, blind dog won't hunt!

Sandman: "The Japanese Government's purported agreement with "science" certainly is helping us isn't it? How much beef have we been shipping them?"

We haven't shipped them any beef yet. Perhaps you should ask the Japanese officials why.

If you want to speculate, perhaps they have been reading R-CULT's BSE "fear mongering" bullsh*t regarding BSE in a country's native herd making that country's beef "high risk".

One Japanese trade representative said R-CULT's actions are only confusing the issue. NO KIDDING????

"Canadian beef is "high risk" due to BSE in their native herd"
"U.S. beef is the safest in the world due to the same firewalls as Canada"

DUH?

Sandman: "It looks like the USDA is really making the Japanese Government's job easy when the Inspector General exposed their "proper measures."

I credit the IG for exposing R-CULT's double standard!

Sandman: "Once again, when has the USDA said ANYTHING about deception? Once again, how can you deceive someone when it is their law?"

Asked and answered repeatedly!

If "BSE TESTED" did not imply "BSE FREE" there would be no reason to test.

~SH~

ocm: "~SH~ how is it a debate if you just spue out NCBA rhetoric."

How is it a debate if you just spue out OCM rhetoric?

Strike one!

You refute NCBA's position and I'll refute OCM's and we'll see who comes out on top.

ocm: "I challenged you to read from the OCM Newsletters. So far I have no indication you even looked at them."

Apparently you can't read because I already told you I could not get the links to work.

Did you skip over that part?

ocm: " Just to get you started,(from the article)"

To be a good sport about this, I'll accept your challenge first then I expect you to follow suit.

Fact: EXPORTS to CAFTA countries are already growing faster than almost any other area--a lot faster.

ocm (in response): "Why do we need the CAFTA trade agreement if EXPORTS are already growing rapidly."

Simple answer!

Because we are paying tarriffs as high as 40% to these countries when they are importing into the U.S. virtually duty free. CAFTA would eliminate those heavy tarriffs.

NEXT!

Quote: "Fact: CAFTA is a step toward "regional integration". I thought you liked less government, not more."

Define "regional integration". Since OCM redefined "captive supply", I am not about to speculate on your definition of "regional integration" and what does that have to do with less government. Seems like a free trade agreement would require less government.

Now, what can you refute in NCBA's facts vs. myths?

~SH~

SH, "Good question! Perhaps you need to make a trip to Japan and ask them."

Actually, we don't need to. There have been plenty of Japanese newspaper clippings posted here. I know you've read them.

SH, "You're a real hoot! The Japanese government has basically agreed that there is no need for 100% testing, YET YOU INSIST THERE IS! "

Then why aren't we shipping beef? Could it be that there is resistance from the Japanese consumers? :shock: (they're the ones who would actually be buying or not buying US beef) :wink:

SH, "I credit the IG for exposing R-CULT's double standard! "

Nice left turn from the comment. I credit the IG for exposing a pi$$ poor job by the USDA, as does the rest of the world

Sandman: "Then why aren't we shipping beef? Could it be that there is resistance from the Japanese consumers? (they're the ones who would actually be buying or not buying US beef)"

Well duh? We just found BSE in our native herd why wouldn't there be some resistance.

The fact that we are no longer exporting beef to Japan should have been your first "RESISTANCE" clue.

Do you get some kick out of acting so stupid?

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Sandman: "Then why aren't we shipping beef? Could it be that there is resistance from the Japanese consumers? (they're the ones who would actually be buying or not buying US beef)"

Well duh? We just found BSE in our native herd why wouldn't there be some resistance.

The fact that we are no longer exporting beef to Japan should have been your first "RESISTANCE" clue.

Do you get some kick out of acting so stupid?

~SH~

When did we find BSE in our native herd and when did the Japanese resistance start?

I can't wait for someone from the OCM to support their claim of branding others as liberal. That is the joke of the day, I mean week, or month. You have me confused already!!!!!

Be patient, I'm still on track. Waiting for a response from ~SH~, who challenged me to a debate. I want to see what his response is to the facts in the article.

Sandman: "When did we find BSE in our native herd and when did the Japanese resistance start?"

You already know the answer to that.

Quit acting like an idiot!

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Sandman: "When did we find BSE in our native herd and when did the Japanese resistance start?"

You already know the answer to that.

Quit acting like an idiot!

~SH~

So do you. Makes your previous post kinda silly, doesn't it? :wink: :lol: :lol:

ocm: "I want to see what his response is to the facts in the article."

Like so many others who follow the gospel according to R-CULT/OCM/LMA/CCMP, you have "opinions" confused with "facts".

Your article is nothing more than "opinions" unsupported by "facts". MERE SPECULATION! A bunch of rhetorical statements without any examples to back them. Typical of your camp! Someone said what you wanted to hear (criticism of CAFTA-DR) so you sunk your teeth into it and call it fact instead of doing the research.

ocm: "The answer is that CAFTA-DR is indeed about "more than trade" and that provides one of the best reasons to reject it."

That is an example of an opinion that was not supported by fact. MERE SPECULATION.

What CAFTA is about is duty free access to CAFTA countries like they have to the U.S. It's about fairness!

ocm: "While it is certainly desirable to criminalize bribery, it can hardly be called "democracy" for a legislative act to be forced on Central American countries through a "trade agreement."

How is this being forced on Central American countries ocm, explain that?

Don't they have to agree to this?

If they have to agree to it, how can it be forced on them?

Another rhetorical statement that is just flat wrong. Nobody is forcing this upon CAFTA countries.

ocm: "Advancing regional integration is a polite way of saying that there will be movement toward a North American Union after the pattern of the European Union. If the U.S. is to enter into a North American Union, it should be done with an informed vote. Since the E.U. still has not surpassed the economic power of the U.S. by means of their union, nor has their union increased their national security, there is no reason to assume that a North American Union would be beneficial for us. More importantly, the Declaration of Independence would have to be supplanted with a "Declaration of Dependence." "

A NORTH AMERICAN UNION?

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Explain that paragraph to me in laymen's terms ocm and let's just see who is blindly following shall we?

That statement is nothing but a bunch of babbling rhetoric! It doesn't even make sense!

If I am wrong, you explain it in laymen's terms and don't play games with me and pretend like it makes sense. Prove it makes sense by explaining it.

Watch this folks................

~SH~

Taken from the OCM web site 'The PSA protects the right of cattle producers and packers to enter into mutually beneficial contracts" Can you guys tell me who said this?

According to the article quoted, Robert Zoellick said CAFTA is more than a trade agreement.

And who is Robert Zoellick? He's the one guy--formerly the US Trade Representative--who is most responsible for negotiating CAFTA. He says its more than a trade agreement. If he's not an authority, then who is. If the guy who negotiated it says it's more than a trade agreement, then THAT is a fact. Your statement that it is only an opinion is COMPLETELY OFFBASE.

FACT: CAFTA is more than a trade agreement--the guy who helped create it says so.

Your response.

As to "regional integration" that term comes from a US Government website promoting CAFTA. That US Dept of Commerce website says that CAFTA is a step toward "regional integration."

FACT: The US Government promotes CAFTA by saying that it is a step toward regional integration.

Your response.

ocm said:
According to the article quoted, Robert Zoellick said CAFTA is more than a trade agreement.

And who is Robert Zoellick? He's the one guy--formerly the US Trade Representative--who is most responsible for negotiating CAFTA. He says its more than a trade agreement. If he's not an authority, then who is. If the guy who negotiated it says it's more than a trade agreement, then THAT is a fact. Your statement that it is only an opinion is COMPLETELY OFFBASE.

FACT: CAFTA is more than a trade agreement--the guy who helped create it says so.

Your response.

As to "regional integration" that term comes from a US Government website promoting CAFTA. That US Dept of Commerce website says that CAFTA is a step toward "regional integration."

FACT: The US Government promotes CAFTA by saying that it is a step toward regional integration.

Your response.

We still need your definition of 'regional integration'.

Canada and the US had an integrated beef market before May 20 2003. Things can and do change. There was a free trade agreement in place there too.

Regional intigration could mean nothing more than prefered trading partner. Canada is that and look how much that has got us.

The European Union is the premier example of regional integration.

As applied to North America it would mean.

Common Markets--no tarriffs, no quotas

Common Currency--Do away with the currencies of the US, Canada, Mexico and other participants and replace them with a common currency(like the Euro in Europe)

Establishment of a Regional Government--Europe currently has the European Parliament that already reviews the laws of participating countries and "harmonizes" them.

Complete and unrestrained access by all citizens of all participating countries. (This means that any citizen of any participating country could legally go anywhere in any other participating country and work--the European Union has already established this principle)

Bottom line--it means more and bigger government, like the UN only regional and more powerful.

If you are really curious you could type "regional integration" into Google and see what you will get. What I have described here is consistent with what you will find. There is no vagueness as to the definition of "regional integration" among politicians and academics who are promoting it. What I have described is what it is.

Sandman: "So do you. Makes your previous post kinda silly, doesn't it?"

Only to someone with your comprehension problem.

You want to define silly? Here's silly:

OBVIOUSLY THERE IS RESISTANCE FROM THE JAPANESE CONSUMER OR WE WOULD STILL BE EXPORTING TO THEM.

What a stupid question!

to which I responded:

SH (previous): " We just found BSE in our native herd why wouldn't there be some resistance.

The fact that we are no longer exporting beef to Japan should have been your first "RESISTANCE" clue."

to which you threw out another "red herring" to divert:

You should know that the resistance started when BSE was first discovered in the U.S. because that's when Japan stop importing from the U.S. As I said, the fact that we are no longer exporting beef to Japan should have been your first "RESISTANCE" clue.

Our recent case of BSE in our domestic herd added to that resistance.

You got nothing again!

Here, "FETCH" (throws stick).

~SH~

As expected, ocm diverted my questions and my responses with statements but that is not how this debate will be conducted.

Out of courtesy I agreed to address ocm's newsletter prior to having you refute NCBA's position. Please show me the same courtesy by answering my questions in response to your position rather than diverting with statements which is a typical ploy of the "factually defenseless".

ocm (previous): "Why do we need the CAFTA trade agreement if EXPORTS are already growing rapidly."

SH (in response): "Because we are paying tarriffs as high as 40% to these countries when they are importing into the U.S. virtually duty free. CAFTA would eliminate those heavy tarriffs."

ocm, can you refute the fact that our tarriffs will be eliminated by CAFTA-DR?

Yes or no?

Answer the question please!

ocm: "While it is certainly desirable to criminalize bribery, it can hardly be called "democracy" for a legislative act to be forced on Central American countries through a "trade agreement."

For the second time, how is CAFTA-DR being forced on Central American countries?

Do these countries or do they not have to agree to this trade agreement?

Answer the question please!

ocm: "Advancing regional integration is a polite way of saying that there will be movement toward a North American Union after the pattern of the European Union. If the U.S. is to enter into a North American Union, it should be done with an informed vote. Since the E.U. still has not surpassed the economic power of the U.S. by means of their union, nor has their union increased their national security, there is no reason to assume that a North American Union would be beneficial for us. More importantly, the Declaration of Independence would have to be supplanted with a "Declaration of Dependence."

Once again, explain that paragraph to me in laymen's terms.

What is meant by a North American Union and what does a North American Union have to do with CAFTA-DR dealing with Central America?

Answer the ENTIRE question please!

ocm: "FACT: CAFTA is more than a trade agreement--the guy who helped create it says so." Your response."

How is CAFTA-DR more than a trade agreement and what is meant by that statement?

Answer the ENTIRE question please!

ocm: "The European Union is the premier example of regional integration.

As applied to North America it would mean.

Common Markets--no tarriffs, no quotas

Common Currency--Do away with the currencies of the US, Canada, Mexico and other participants and replace them with a common currency(like the Euro in Europe)"

ocm, are you saying that CAFTA-DR will have no quota protections in place?

Yes or no?

Considering the fact that we have already signed a North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico, has there been any effort to replace our currencies based on that agreement?

Yes or no?

Please answer the question!

Brought from another post.........

ocm: "He says CAFTA will open our borders to almost unlimited immigration from CAFTA countries. Under the "trade in services" clause of the agreement we would agree not to hinder the movement of workers from other CAFTA countries by using "unreasonable" immigration restrictions. Who gets to decide what is "unreasonable"? An international tribunal. If we refused to changes our laws to meet their definition of "reasonable" there would be trade sanctions (tariffs on our exports)."

Did NAFTA open our borders to almost unlimited immigration from NAFTA countries or do we still have border protection against immigration?

Please answer the question!

In an honest debate you have no choice but to answer my questions. "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

I anticipate your response!

~SH~

SH, "OBVIOUSLY THERE IS RESISTANCE FROM THE JAPANESE CONSUMER OR WE WOULD STILL BE EXPORTING TO THEM. What a stupid question!

SH, "to which I responded:
SH (previous): " We just found BSE in our native herd why wouldn't there be some resistance. The fact that we are no longer exporting beef to Japan should have been your first "RESISTANCE" clue."
to which you threw out another "red herring" to divert:

SH, "You should know that the resistance started when BSE was first discovered in the U.S. because that's when Japan stop importing from the U.S. As I said, the fact that we are no longer exporting beef to Japan should have been your first "RESISTANCE" clue. Our recent case of BSE in our domestic herd added to that resistance."

Actually the resistance started with Canada's first case. Remember how the USDA was scrambling because Japan wanted assurance we would not send them Canadian beef?

Here was your statement that started your latest tizzy; "Well duh? We just found BSE in our native herd why wouldn't there be some resistance."

It sure looks like you were IMPLYING (I know you love that word) the resistance was due because "We just found BSE".

SH, "Here, "FETCH" (throws stick)."

Here's your stick back, sorry about the sandburrs. (inserts stick)

Latest posts