• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I-BAND Opposes Appointment of Chandler Keys to USDA Post

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Independent Beef Association of North Dakota (I-BAND)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Date: December 26, 2005

Email: [email protected]

I-BAND Opposes Appointment of Chandler Keys to USDA Post

Menoken, ND ~ The Independent Beef Association of North Dakota (I-BAND) says it will vigorously oppose the nomination of G. Chandler Keys as an Undersecretary at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Recent press reports indicate that Keys will be nominated to replace Bill Hawks as USDA's Undersecretary for the Agricultural Marketing and Regulatory program. In 2005 Keys left a 20-year career with the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) where he served as the organization's chief lobbyist. Most recently Keys has handled government relations in Washington for Swift & Co.

"USDA is a vast bureaucracy with a wide range of responsibilities, not the least of which is its charge as a regulatory agency," noted Patrick Becker, I-BAND president. "There is an ongoing pattern of appointing USDA employees with strong ties to agri-business companies and industry sectors that have a great deal at stake in USDA policies. In fact, research makes clear there are approximately as many industry people among USDA appointees as there are career civil servants. The revolving employment door between industry and the regulating agency undermines the regulatory mission of USDA in favor of the bottom-line interests of agribusiness. Simply put, the foxes are guarding the USDA henhouse in Washington. I-BAND will oppose the nomination of Keys to this post. We urge our congressional delegation to overturn this action, and begin closing the door on corporate influence at the People's Agency," said Becker.

A paper titled USDA INC: How Agribusiness Has Hijacked Regulatory Policy at USDA, released in 2004 by the Agri-Business Accountability Initiative, found that USDA had become a virtual nest for industry-related personnel. "The report is proof that big agribusiness has packed USDA with appointees who have strong backgrounds of working in the industry, lobbying for it or performing research or other functions on its behalf," commented Becker. "It's a commonly accepted fact amongst cattle producers that USDA is overrun with representatives from the meat packing, food processing and retail sectors. Putting former lobbyists from these sectors into policy or regulatory jobs sets the stage for serious conflicts of interest by placing people into places where they can carry out agendas from within."

"Keys has a long and detailed history of opposing grassroots cattle producers while advocating policy that favors corporate agriculture and the concentrated meat packing industry. The post is an important one and the individual appointed should exhibit knowledge, expertise and neutrality. Let's halt the industry infiltration at USDA and search for a candidate that has the qualities needed to restore integrity and credibility to an agency that is charged with advancing U.S. agriculture and enhancing producers' livelihoods."

I-BAND is North Dakota's fastest growing grassroots cattlemen's organization, addressing the market interests of North Dakota cattle producers. I-BAND's primary purpose is to address threats posed to the domestic cattle industry by unfair and illegal trade practices, imports, and all issues affecting the profitability of North Dakota beef producers. Voting members must own cattle. I-BAND adheres to a one-man one vote policy. Membership dues are $50 annually. To join call 701.422.3396.

Amazing how people change! :shock:

980777 Senate Considers Import Meat Label Plan
July 22, 1998
Washington - U.S. cattle producers urged House members to support a Senate provision that would require country-of-origin labeling on imported beef and lamb, but a key Democrat expressed concern.

Chandler Keys, vice-president of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, said current rules allow Canadian producers to present their beef as U.S. origin.

"They are laundering beef," Keys said, referring to the Canadian practice of shipping live cattle into the United States. The cattle are slaughtered and sold as beef in U.S. supermarkets without consumers knowing its origin, he said.

The Senate provision would require country-of-origin labeling on muscle meats - such as steak, chuck, roasts and other cuts - sold from such cattle and lamb.

The Senate language would also require the Agriculture Department to conduct a study on the costs and benefits of requiring labeling on ground beef and lamb products.

Labeling imported ground or processed beef might be difficult because it is often mixed with U.S. products, Keys said. But muscle meat is sold separately, he noted.

Rep. Charles Stenholm, a Texan who is the farm panel's top Democrat, expressed concern about the provision. The U.S. has opposed European Union proposals to require the labeling of genetically-modified corn and soybeans on the grounds that would be a trade barrier, he said.

"I'm a little concerned about us unilaterally imposing a labeling requirement," Stenholm said. "I hope we don't unilaterally make some decisions now that end up hurting us in the big picture."

But Keys argued the two situations were not similar. Whereas corn and soybeans are raw materials, muscle meats are a finished product, he said.

"We don't think it's a non-tariff barrier. We think it's a consumer right to know," Keys said, echoing an argument many EU officials have made about genetically-modified crops.

The Senate approved the labeling plan last week as part of its fiscal 1999 agricultural appropriations package.

However, a similar bill passed by the House does not contain the provision. In the coming days, negotiators from the House and Senate will meet to work out that and other differences in the two bills.

SH, remember making this comment, "When Leo takes the microphone he is representing R-CULT. If that is Leo's opinion, then that is R-CULT's position unless you are suggesting that Leo is taking a position that is contrary to what R-CULT's constantly changing position is. "

Now apply your opinion to the following;
Chandler Keys, vice-president of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, said current rules allow Canadian producers to present their beef as U.S. origin.

"They are laundering beef," Keys said, referring to the Canadian practice of shipping live cattle into the United States. The cattle are slaughtered and sold as beef in U.S. supermarkets without consumers knowing its origin, he said.

"We don't think it's a non-tariff barrier. We think it's a consumer right to know," Keys said.

Now tell me, was Keys represting the NCBA's beliefs, or do you want to talk about changing positions? :oops: Maybe you will just brush this off as another stupid comment? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sandhusker said:
SH, remember making this comment, "When Leo takes the microphone he is representing R-CULT. If that is Leo's opinion, then that is R-CULT's position unless you are suggesting that Leo is taking a position that is contrary to what R-CULT's constantly changing position is. "

Now apply your opinion to the following;

"We don't think it's a non-tariff barrier. We think it's a consumer right to know," Keys said.

Now tell me, was Keys represting the NCBA's beliefs, or do you want to talk about changing positions? :oops: Maybe you will just brush this off as another stupid comment? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Does a stupid comment by Chandler Keys make one by Leo the Lyin any less stupid :roll: or is this just a team R-Calf vs. Team NCBA arguement?

Latest posts