• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I could use a couple hours

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I could use a couple hours of the rain the Big Easy is getting. :shock:

It might settle the dust around here. :roll:

Where is the Big Easy? Sounds like my kind of place. Especially if it
is raining. :D :p

New Orleans I bet it's not your kind of place.Been there a bit rough around the edges.

I hear ya!! I would take all the rain they are getting right now even all the flooding. Pretty depressing today when its 100 and wind blowing 25mph. Enough is enough! :roll:

I agree, I've given up dusting in the house as it blows back in the windows every night.

Like Denny said about 'the Big Easy'! Been there a few times, NEVER d.uring Mardi Gras, always for meetings........and really don't care to go back, even though it is definitely cleaned up since we were there at least 25 years ago.

Many times I have 'offered' to take at least 5" inches of rain from places getting more than they cabn handle! I know we can handle 4.75, as that is the most we have had at our house since 1957, and only come close to that much a very few times, though others in this area have had up to 7" and not had too much trouble. We live too close to a creek draining lots of county to want huge rains over that entire area. Thankfully, that is really rare!

We had 111% degrees yesterday. Apparently, it was too hot for the wind to blow more than a slight breeze! It has been a blessing to have cooler nights the past week or two........down into the high forties on night, but into the 70's last few nights, which is too hot, imo, but better than the high seventies and even a 90+ at 1AM at a neighbors a few nights ago! They are on a river bottom and our elevation, though on a creek bottom, is quite a bit higher. This creek drops 50 feet in the 'mile as the crow flies' from our neighbors above us. When we do get a 'flood' on it, it is about like a big toilet flushing and is gone almost as fast as it came!

Fortunately, since the 1927 flood, many stock dams have been built and have protected us. Our basement would be full if we got one of those, at least that is what my father-in-law said when he saw where we dug our basement years ago.

mrj

Katrina, I'm north of you, in middle (north to south & pretty close to east to west) of SD. We can get pretty good grass growth in fall if it rains and doesn't freeze really hard.........but it probably needs to happen SOON to help pastures much. That has helped our winter grazing in lots of years over the past 120, from family stories and our experience nearly half of that.

Anyway, doesn't getting rain when we are desperate fo it just help a persons' attitude even if it isn't real helpful other than maybe adding some water to dams, etc. and washing off the dust????

mrj

mrj said:
Katrina, I'm north of you, in middle (north to south & pretty close to east to west) of SD. We can get pretty good grass growth in fall if it rains and doesn't freeze really hard.........but it probably needs to happen SOON to help pastures much. That has helped our winter grazing in lots of years over the past 120, from family stories and our experience nearly half of that.

Anyway, doesn't getting rain when we are desperate fo it just help a persons' attitude even if it isn't real helpful other than maybe adding some water to dams, etc. and washing off the dust????

mrj

Rain is.........good for the soul........at any time......... :nod:

katrina said:
It's too late here.... All we can ask for is snow this winter and spring rains... I guess I don't know what rain would do here now except make mud...

Same boat here! Cept' the boat isn't good for much except kindling or target practice. :cry:

I don't think it is ever too late for rain. Sure not in this country anyway. It softens up what feed there is and if there is enough the cheat grass will green up. Not to mention settling the dust!

Nicky said:
I don't think it is ever too late for rain. Sure not in this country anyway. It softens up what feed there is and if there is enough the cheat grass will green up. Not to mention settling the dust!

I agree; rain is welcome anytime. Kind of like the old rancher down in New Mexico who left his bulls out year-round. He said he'd never turn down a new calf or a good rain, anytime either of them wanted to come. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Nicky said:

I agree; rain is welcome anytime. Kind of like the old rancher down in New Mexico who left his bulls out year-round. He said he'd never turn down a new calf or a good rain, anytime either of them wanted to come. :wink:

Soapweed that's about what the old guy here told the county agent when he got done explaning the merits of a short breeding season.The old guy said he could use money anytime of year. :)

I can see that if all you have is grass and now we are in our second month of feeding hay.... Try on 500 acres of burned up corn for size...Don't ask about the wheat spring or winter or the sunflowers.... yes it's nice to look at the cup half full, but I guess it's just kinda hard today...

Latest posts