• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I don't know if it will help, but

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I noticed with this extremely mild winter we are having that some cows were scratching on the fence. Wean wean pretty early and that's when they are poured so it's getting on to 4 1/2 months. We moved a couple of Roll oil cattle oilers out with some Malathion mix in them. They are right at the mineral tubs so I hope they use them rather then the fences.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I noticed with this extremely mild winter we are having that some cows were scratching on the fence. Wean wean pretty early and that's when they are poured so it's getting on to 4 1/2 months. We moved a couple of Roll oil cattle oilers out with some Malathion mix in them. They are right at the mineral tubs so I hope they use them rather then the fences.
Yeah, the weaner calves were scratching so I got an Old Scratch oiler we used o use and put it out there with some dope in it. Seems like they are leaving the fences alone so it's working but I am going to have to get them and the cows in one of these day's and spray them with Ivomec. Would like to switch to something else, but hate the higher price.

Big Muddy rancher said:

Just sell the patchy ones and in 30-40 years you will have a louse resistant herd. :wink:

Jinglebob said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Yeah, the weaner calves were scratching so I got an Old Scratch oiler we used o use and put it out there with some dope in it. Seems like they are leaving the fences alone so it's working but I am going to have to get them and the cows in one of these day's and spray them with Ivomec. Would like to switch to something else, but hate the higher price.

JB, lice are fairly easy to kill. However, to really kill lice you need to pour
them twice about 14 days apart. I don't know anyone that likes to do this,
however, and most times we seem to get by without an outbreak
after pouring once. There are the times when we do see enough lice
that they need poured again. If you do pour them
for lice, you can use an inexpensive product like Cylence which has a real good
applicator. There are a lot of products out there that will kill lice.

Hope this helps!

I am starting to see signs so I will wait till the next 60+F day and spray them. Mine are used to getting sprayed up to once a week in the summer for flys so I can just walk thru them after throwing a couple of flakes of hay out and get them all covered.

I have'nt poured them in a couple years. Another input some drug company says you need. You don't see the DNR pouring deer and they look pretty good around here. I also have'nt put a needle in a cow in the last 3 years. You can call me cheap but I've done it both ways and have'nt seen where it paid any better in calf pounds buying into all the inputs.

Denny said:
I have'nt poured them in a couple years. Another input some drug company says you need. You don't see the DNR pouring deer and they look pretty good around here. I also have'nt put a needle in a cow in the last 3 years. You can call me cheap but I've done it both ways and have'nt seen where it paid any better in calf pounds buying into all the inputs.

With vaccines you might never know what kind of wreck you have avoided and when one happens it's to late. The neighbor by town quit using blackleg vaccine and lost 17 calves out about 50. A shot that costs less then a dollar looks really cheap now.

We don't pour our horses for lice but we do see cattle bothered. More then half the reason to pour cows is warbles so the lice get done at that time. At branding we do the cows with Cylence for lice and flies.

In 1994 I flipped a GoldWing Motorcycle end for end and my then 14 year old son stepped up and did as good a job as he could. He did not vacinate and lost 4 calves in one week ( out of about 20 )

Vet said it was from over eating disease - - I think that is blackleg, am I right?

Never missed the vac program again and don't intend to. The vet said the bacteria for this is in horse manure and stays in the soil up to 20 years. My son cleaned out and expanded a spring and the vet felt that might have caused the outbreak.

I never poured mine til December so aren't seeing any problems yet...But I usually hang an oiler across the gate they have to come thru to get water- and as soon as I get the mares hauled out to pasture (hopefully today)- I will do that.... I think it helps...

Denny said:

I have a neighbor like you. Last fall when he preg tested he had 60% open. Sure makes vaccinating for those reproductive diseases sound cheap now. I just ordered my vira-shield today. They will get poured, vaccinated and brands clipped the end of the week.

Latest posts