• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

i have a question...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Moonhorse420

Reaction score
this is my second year showing, and my horse has arthritus in his hocks. i was wondering if anyone knows of anything that might be able to help him get through the show season without looking lame.

Legend or Adequan from the vet is what he probably needs. It is a series of shots, but works excellent. I would encourage you to have that done, both for your horse and your own safety. Both have been used extensively and a good horse vet can advise you.

You can follow-up with Corta-flex on your own, depending on what the vet says. We have a friend that trains barrel horses in Aubrey, Texas and he says this one is the best. There are a lot of products out there, but you will see the results of Corta-flex faster than the others. And those barrel races know what works and what doesn't, believe me.

Jersey Lilly is right, as that is some of the ingredients in Corta-flex, it is just that I think he will need more aggessive treatment, packing your weight and competing and all.

Good LUCK!!!

Take him to the vet. They can inject hyleuronic adic into the joints. This is the horses natural lubricant that can sometimes dry up without the proper nutrition.

My horse was lame for a year. The vet injected him and told me how to shoe him and he has not taken a lame step since.

windsor as in windsor wisconsin. My horse is a retired stud horse and barrel racer. hes about 23-24 years old now. hes just in show for fun, but i'd still like place well and continue to show him.

Barrel racing puts a lot of stress on hocks, so that is no doubt part of the problem.

In your first post, what kind of 'showing' are you referring to? I would say, if he has arthritis in his hocks, his barrel racing days are over. You wouldn't be a very good friend to ask him to do something that is painful. Barrel racing is hard on horses. Many pro horses have physical problems and are treated or doctored daily. Very few that have any age on them are totally 'sound'. Yours has age and physical problems against him.

I hope the best for the horse.

im just doing pleasure showing. im doing only walk/trot classes, because we already know that it hurts him to much to canter. im probably going to be doing showmanship, western pleasure, equitation, and a trail class.

Bute is also an anti-inflammatory drug, but hard on the stomach.

Legend or Adequan is the treatment of choice in these situations. They might have you give a little bute along with it at first. It is a series of shots and can be a tad spendy, but isn't a good horse worth it? He will show much better too.

You have quite a full plate planned for him. Even slow, it is going to be hard to be in that many events. I hope you see about Legend or Adequan.

Good luck to you and the horse!

Moonhorse420 said:
this is my second year showing, and my horse has arthritus in his hocks. i was wondering if anyone knows of anything that might be able to help him get through the show season without looking lame.
Did you have him x-rayed? Are you sure its arthritus? Does your Vet know what he is looking at when he looks at an X-ray?
What does your Vet say?

Are you doing local shows, 4H , breed? How far up do you want to go? Region, State ? How many shows and how long is your season?
4 classes is alot with any injury. I would skip the showmanship or you will only get discouraged. The judges will mark you off for any signs of horse being lame. Trail might pose another problem with the barriers they have to go over.

i showed him last year using steroids and bute. we know that its arthritus because he's had it for a few years. It's only 4-h shows. I dont plan to go that far with him. I want to move up, but there isn't a horse avalable for me to use this year at show. This show season isnt that long, just three shows for the summer. Dane county is the big one and the one i want to do the best at.

Latest posts