• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I LOVE NURSEMATE ASAP

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind

Reaction score
I sound like an ad for NurseMate ASAP but I can fully say it is hands down the best thing we have found for getting cold calves started other than putting them in a warming box. Our weather switched from nice warm 60 degree days (very unsual for us here in western WY) to 30 degrees with a lovely steady 35 mph wind all day and most of the nights here the past few days with snow flurries mixed in. While our ground is bare, it didn't take long for newborn calves to get cold regardless of how fast his mom would lick him off. We have been filling our pockets with ASAP and with in a few minutes of quick bonding between mom and calf we rush in and squirt the tube down the calf's mouth and it is amazing how much instant energy it gives the calves. They jump up pretty darn fast and start sucking. We started using this stuff last year after our calving from hell and even though it costs about 6 bucks a tube we have seen a return in our investment and gotten some peace of mind. We all know peace of mind during calving goes a LONG ways! A few times we have given ASAP to a real big bull calf who has a little trouble getting going too. Anyways, just had to tell you all about this wonderful stuff. I am a firm believer in it helping and working for us!

we been using http://www.bovidr.com/beef.html Beef Nutri-Drench
on new born calves. The one made for lambs http://www.bovidr.com/sheep.htmls we really can see the affects fast , don't notice it as much in calves but most all get a dose.

North Ridge Ranching said:
So is this stuff a colostrum or just kind of a jumpstart for the calves? It sounds like something to keep on hand for bad weather. Do you need to tube it or is it a small dose? Never heard of it.

It is a colostrum paste NRR , you can get it in doses for calves ,lambs, foals ,puppies etc. I asked my vet about it before and it was not available in Alberta ,not sure about the rest of Canada. It seems alot of neat stuff that is used in the USA is not approved for use for us here.

http://www.cattlestore.com/p-814-sterling-technology-nursemate-asap.aspx

North Ridge Ranching said:
So is this stuff a colostrum or just kind of a jumpstart for the calves? It sounds like something to keep on hand for bad weather. Do you need to tube it or is it a small dose? Never heard of it.

Its more of a jumpstart for calves- vitamins/minerals, amino acids. and some quick protein... Gives them an appetite also...

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07984-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

We've used it for a long time.. Any newborn that looks droopy- or any calf that goes into the warmer or under the pickup heater- we give a shot of it...
Its just a paste you squirt into the back of their mouth on their tongue...During calving I pack a couple of tubes in my coat pocket all the time..
I agree with WW- it really works...Thankfully with the nice calving weather we have had I haven't had to use much this year...

We use it as well. Thankfully we have had fairly decent weather so far this year and the calving has gone well. I did have a couple of hiccups with the angoras though. One doe just quit mothering her kids and I did'nt catch it in time to save both. We lost one and I brought the other in to the Hostile Native. She gave it some Nursemate and got it going on the bottle real good. The other, a doe had triplets so I brought the weakest one in. Again, we gave it Nursemate ASAP and it took off too.

We really like the stuff and think it's a pretty good product.

Tex

I guess I will have to be the odd duck. We have tried it in the past and had zero luck with it. I have neighbors and family that swear by it also but I just haven't had any good luck with it.

I am a big believer in the Colostrix Colostrum supplement that you mix with water. We use it all the time and only a half a bag at a time(they recommend a whole bag). I like it because it seems if you get something good and warm in their belly they just get up and go. Some people don't like tubing calves if they don't have to but I don't mind and do it all the time. I would hate to go thru a calving season without it!!

No matter what, both these products make calving easier, not only on me but ont the calves also.

Latest posts