• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ian Tyson concert canceled

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Just thought some of the rest of you might be interested in this. We were planning to attend Ian Tyson's concert in Pierre on Friday evening, July 29th, but looks like we can now continue putting up hay instead. :(

From the RapidCityJournal.com

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 10:24 PM MDT

Tyson concert in Rapid City canceled
By Naomi Schemm, Journal Staff Writer

RAPID CITY - Country music artist Ian Tyson has canceled his Thursday, July 28, concert at the Elks Theatre in Rapid City because of ill health, his promoter said Tuesday.

Tyson also canceled appearances in Bismarck, N.D., on Tuesday, in Pierre on Friday, July 29, and Sioux Falls on July 30.

"Unfortunately, this leg of the tour has been canceled," said Bob Moore, president of Lazy H Productions, promoter of Tyson's concerts. "We apologize to Rapid City. I know you folks really went out for it; I appreciate that tremendously."

Tyson recently performed three concerts on three successive nights in places without air conditioning, including one at The Pavilion in Deadwood on Sunday, which proved too tiring for the 71-year-old Canadian cowboy, Moore said. "It just exhausted him."

People who already bought the $40 tickets from the Elks Theatre can return them for a refund, according to general manager Curt Small. He said the theater had sold about 40 tickets in advance but had expected many more sales on the night of the concert.

Moore said the first three concerts, in Bozeman and Miles City, Mont., and Deadwood on July 22-24, were successful, and he predicted it would have had similar reception in Rapid City.

"Ian is a great artist," Moore said. "He really made a great show," despite the heat.

Local Tyson fans can hope for a concert appearance sometime in the future.

"We're hoping to maybe make Rapid City, Bismarck and the other Midwest venues in October," Moore said, although no dates have been set.

I talked to a younger fellow who is a Tyson fan and he said there were about 30 people at the Deadwood concert. Might have had something to do with the $50 price of tickets.

I figure he didn't go to the others because he was sick of the turn out!

Too bad. Guess he didn't talk too much other than to cuss a lady who tried to take his picture. The young fellow was a fan and tried to say hi at the end as they were out on the street and Ian just walked on by. Sure dissapointed the fellow as he had visited with him in the past.

Yes Jinglebob, I think you are probably right about the reason for cancelling the show. I don't know if it is the promoter or Ian or who is responsible for the steep ticket price. Every other time I have seen him tickets were in the 20-25 dollar range. 50 is just too much, even for people gettting good prices for their cattle. That kept me away.

I talked to a newspaper man today that wrote a flattering article about Ian in a local paper, and I asked him what he thought of him. What he said was that he was basically a "jerk", and that wasn't what I really wanted to hear. Maybe the fact that he drove 1000 miles, and had 30 people at his concert had a lot to do with his demeanor.

I guess the fact that this guy went ahead and painted a nice picture of Ian and his message tells that he still has a lot of respect in cow country. He is sure one of the best as far as I am concerned.

If he truly is not feeling well, I hope he gets better soon.

I have refrained from saying anything until now, but we have heard from people who know, that Ian Tyson is really an arrogant jerk. My husband won't hardly listen to his tapes anymore, let alone go to a concert. Maybe Ian thought he was worth $50...

Too bad. He really has wonderful music.

Anyhow, I have a little thing I say from time to time. "Everybody needs a little humbling now and then."

When you get out to Elko for the poetry gathering, or at least back when I was there, they act like Ian is a god.

The last time I was there, I was waiting for my plane to leave and visiting with a poet from Canada and he wondered why we all like Ian so much. "He's not a cowboy, you know!" was what he kept saying over and over. I told him we didn't think he was a cowboy, but he sang what we felt.

I have since found that so many of the songs that he does that I like were written or co-written by Tom Russel and others.

I like Ian's songs, but have heard often that he's kind of a primadonna. I will still buy his tapes, but I won't pay much to see his concerts. "Course I used to listen for free at the Stockmans in Elko.

A fairly well known lady poet from Canada often comes on stage and apoligizes for Ian when she tells that she's a Canadian. She's a good poet and a nice lady and is doing it for a laugh.

I imagine many of us would be much like Ian if we had walked in his shoes. We all like to think we are good people, but in many cases if we were under the pressures that the "famous" are, we might surprize ourselves and our friends.

That being said, I never bought another tape or listened to Hank Jr. after seeing him in concert. Egotistical, arragont a--hole!

I'd pay a fair amount to see Charlie Danials again tho'. He's a patriot and a real nice guy.

Jinglebob, I very much respect your opinion.

However, I want to tell a little different story about Hank Williams, Jr. Not that I advocate his lifestyle; not by any means.

We are friends with some folks who are close friends with Dick Willy. Dick was the one with Hank when he fell off the mountain. It was Dick's son who stayed with Hank when Dick went for help.

After healing up, Hank spent quite a bit of time in Western Montana. He went to the Moose Lodge one night for a little private jam session and we were some of the ones that were invited to come. I am here to tell you, it was a hoot!!! He was so common, just fit right in with the rest of us~and yet, he can play absoultely anything. He really is a fine musician and entertainer. It was some of the most incredible music I have ever heard. He played any instrument they handed him. I will never forget it. Since then I have the ultimate respect for him as a musician.

Don't know why he had to get so 'ROWDY' though! :lol:

I think this last wife has helped him somewhat.

He does love Montana and was coming here before it was THE place to come.

We went to Dillon to listen to George Stait when he first was starting to sing. He was so shy he could hardly face the crowd. I didn't know that was the reason, but Hank Williams told a friend of ours that was leasing Dick Willy's ranch, that was why George Strait kept turning his back to the crowd. Heck, all the time I thought it was to show us the W's on his Wranglers. :wink:

Now as an Albertan i have to stick up for Ian, his music is great says alot of how cowboys feel... as for him being a jerk :???: hmmm, auuu,well :? his music is great

We hear what you're saying! :nod:

Well, it looks like the impression of Ian Tyson is quite unanimous~

:nod: :nod:

Isn't it just too bad? But attitude is EVERYTHING.

Our 10-year old grandson was here and we talked about this very thing; ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING! :nod:

The thing that p---ed me off about Hank was when he was playing and lost a pick, a guy came running out onto the stage and gave him another. He acted like he was a king and it was his due. He acted the same way to everybody else on stage, like he was a god and everyone should bow down to him.

Watch how people treat people who can't possibly help them or do them any good, and you'll get a pretty good clue as to what they are really like. Hank may be a nice guy, but his whole attitude that night was as if he thought his s--- didn't stink. I don't need those kind of people.

Faster Horses, I was at the concert in Medora that you mentioned earlier, and Ian seemed very hospitable about signing anything, and I thought he was pretty cordial. At least from a distance. I'm not much of a groupie for anyone. :wink: Maybe he had a bad day in Deadwood. Old guys get kinda crotchety sometimes anyway. :D

That was a fun show in a great spot that day in Medora.

Ian's lyrics are as real and good as anyones. That means the most to me.

yea, Jake, he was pretty good there, wasn't he? The whole thing was pretty low-key; not many people and a beautiful day. I sure did enjoy it as one of the best concerts we have ever attended.

It is disappointing that most of the 'talk' about Ian Tyson (and not just on this forum) is on the negative side as far as his personality, attitude, or whatever you want to call it. I would just as soon feel good about him. Like Garth Brooks; the 'talk' about Garth Brooks is that he is a great guy.

My husband is like Jinglebob. He just doesn't need those "big feelers" as he calls anyone who puts across how IMPORTANT they are.

And Jinglebob, again I would have to agree with you about how the big shots treat the 'little people' says a lot for how they are inside. Same with how people treat their animals; says a lot for how they treat their people.

We took a horse to a guy in Wyoming to have ridden. We observed him in action. Treated his family terrible. Treated the horses the same. We left with our horse and felt like we "escaped with our horse." My husband remarked, "he sure didn't treat his people very good, did he?" All the signs were there, and they were the wrong signs...all this guy was, was a good team roper. It was downhill from there.

No thanks!

There are some examples of very gracious singers.

Don Edwards is about the nicest guy you could meet.

Chris LaDeux was supposably very nice.

RW Hampton seemed ok too.

Micheal Martin Murphy does a lot for property rights, and has a good stage presence at the least.

I'm sure there are others.

Like Jinglebob said, you need to go to Elko and check things out for yourselves. The good ones are usually there. Ian is definately big there.

To go to Elko is a big dream of mine. Hopefully, someday we will make it...if we live long enough.

Red Steagul is another good one. And how about Dan Roberts? We been listening to him on America or Hanks Place on XM radio.

Wily and the Wild West Show is a favorite of ours also.

Hey, Jake, I hope you make it to Deadwood. Are you considering it?

Hey, Jake, I hope you make it to Deadwood. Are you considering it?

I have been thinking about going, but will have to see how it fits my schedule. School starts here around the third week of August, and I will have to see how that works. I don't suppose too many on here need to worry about that, because of the age of their kids.

You will be driving right thru here on your way to Deadwood, and I would PM you and let you know where I live if nothing else.

Is your husband going to ride down with you?

I have been meaning to tell you that I know your night calver pretty well, as he is a first cousin of my real good friend. You found a good guy for that. I sure like him.

Yea, he is going to go with me. I just informed him of that fact a couple of days ago. So far he hasn't come up with anything to keep him home. :roll:

Yeah and double yeah, to the night calver. We really, really appreciate him. If anyone should have their own place it should be him. He is so earnest and such a hard, hard worker. He has this place set up just the way he wants it, since he night calves horseback. All the gates open horseback so he doesn't have to get off. We try to make it just as nice for him as we can. So far, so good. I think he has helped us for 8 years now. We would sure hate to lose him.

But nothin's forever!

I hope you can make it, but if not, perhaps we can stop by or something. I thought you lived in Wyoming. We don't go through Wyoming to go to Deadwood. Am I wrong?

I live in NW SD FH. I thought you might be mixed up about that earlier.

Check my profile.

When it gets closer I will check in with you in case I cannot make it.

We are easy to find here.

You have not been at your ranch forever, so you may not know all of who lived where, but your nightcalver lived on the same ranch for a while as my friend (his cousin) that lives here. He and his dad run a grazing association down here.

Latest posts