• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ice Fishing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
I like to argue football almost as much as you SEC hating/Big12 sucks crazies! :D :wink: But just to change the subject, I was wondering if any of ya'll like to ice fish and if you'd mind sharing a few tips with a hard water amateur fisherman. I have been probably 6 or 8 times after trout, splake and perch on a central/southern Utah lake (Fish lake if you're wondering). Learned when the wind blows it isn't much fun on the middle of a lake. My dad has an ice shelter but we've never used it. Anyway, just wondered if any of ya have had success and even share pics if ya have the time. Many thanks!

This is the biggest we landed on this trip. My daughters boyfriend.

Another decent fish. My Ai tech and the brother to the first fella.

We caught close to a hundred fish on this trip. Saturday four of us went and caught 3 fish pretty grim with the cold front coming in we did'nt have much luck.Did get rid of some beer though.

leanin' H said:
I like to argue football almost as much as you SEC hating/Big12 sucks crazies! :D :wink: But just to change the subject, I was wondering if any of ya'll like to ice fish and if you'd mind sharing a few tips with a hard water amateur fisherman. I have been probably 6 or 8 times after trout, splake and perch on a central/southern Utah lake (Fish lake if you're wondering). Learned when the wind blows it isn't much fun on the middle of a lake. My dad has an ice shelter but we've never used it. Anyway, just wondered if any of ya have had success and even share pics if ya have the time. Many thanks!

Make your hole big if your casting. :D

Trolling if difficult. :D

Try paraffin wax and peanut butter for bait. I haven't been ice fishing for years but just read that tip the other day in the paper. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
leanin' H said:

Try paraffin wax and peanut butter for bait. I haven't been ice fishing for years but just read that tip the other day in the paper. :D

Ya, this sounds like a guy you'd want to listen to. :roll:

I'm surprised he forgot to tell you to take a line and hooks . . .

:lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
leanin' H said:

Afraid Big Muddy, rocks were soft last time you had Walleye in your country!

CA

Big Muddy rancher said:
leanin' H said:

AS usual, you are just full of good advice and helpful information! :D :D :D
Trolling is a bear. Dad kept hollering, "Pull faster, pull faster"!

Does that make you guys nervous driving trucks out on that ice? I know it's thick enough but I still wouldn't want to drive my truck out there but we've never seen ice that thick.

ousoonerfan22 said:
Does that make you guys nervous driving trucks out on that ice? I know it's thick enough but I still wouldn't want to drive my truck out there but we've never seen ice that thick.

No. There was only about 16" this past weekend and we were 6 miles from shore. Have been 25 miles from shore on Lake of the woods.

6 miles...25 miles! :shock: I would be so nervous about falling through I couldn't concentrate on fishing but maybe that's why you bring those 12 packs! Wouldn't worry about anything after a couple of those! :)

ousoonerfan22 said:
6 miles...25 miles! :shock: I would be so nervous about falling through I couldn't concentrate on fishing but maybe that's why you bring those 12 packs! Wouldn't worry about anything after a couple of those! :)

12 packs we bring 24 packs.

last time I went, a guy started a fire on the ice to keep warm... I was sure we would all fall in and drown cause he was weakening the ice....

leanin' H said:

to clarify, Big 12 fans are better ice fishers than SEC fans :wink:

jigs said:
leanin' H said:

Let's be fair the Jigs, it's not really all their fault. If you had to chose from the size of women found in the SEC would you want to spend any time on the ice- in case they came looking for you? :D

jigs said:
leanin' H said:

Now the SEC thinks they can out fish us!!! :mad:

ousoonerfan22 said:
jigs said:
leanin' H said:

Now the SEC thinks they can out fish us!!! :mad:
trust me, you damned sooners are the hand fishing champions

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152096008466380&set=ms.10152096008466380.10152096008141380.10152096008021380.10152096008961380.10152096008606380.10152096009161380.10152096010996380.10152096010861380.bps.a.10152096007366380.1073741831.564021379&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152096008141380&set=ms.10152096008466380.10152096008141380.10152096008021380.10152096008961380.10152096008606380.10152096009161380.10152096010996380.10152096010861380.bps.a.10152096007366380.1073741831.564021379&type=1&theater

Latest posts