• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I'd like to kick some butt!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hope your dog recovers Kato. Best cattle, kid, and all around family dog we ever had was a German Sheperd, Scotch Collie cross. Lost him probably 15 years ago, and still miss him. I swear that dog could speak english. Found a cow one time with a puffed up back foot , thought it was footrot. Caught her, laid her down and had her stretched out between two horses with her feet up in the air. Gave her drugs for footrot. Checked her "footrot" foot to make sure it opened up properly and knew something was wrong. Got digging around in her foot. The steel cable was wrapped around her ankle and one claw, right to the bone. Spent over an hour trying to cut through this cable to get it off without causing more damage to her foot. To make a long story short, she eventually healed up during the summer. We treated her a few more times and felt pretty proud of ourselves for her progress. Had a late fall lightning storm and she got zapped. Found her in pretty much the exact same spot as the first time we caught her. Sometimes you just can't win.

I hope your beautifl dog is all right-glad you found her in time-Had a black GSH 'bout 25 years ago-miss him every day :( Hope you find the
(names I can't say) idiot that did this.. and get him for animal abuse.
all the best to you and Zelda..Visit her and let her know you haven't abandond her,and she isn't being punished for doing something bad..

Aw, Kato. I'm so sorry Zelda got into one of those things. I sure hope she fully recovers.

When we were at Encino, the place we were on, had over 900 sheep, and there was a trapper who kept snares set wherever a canine critter had dug under a sheepwire fence......caught quite a few coyotes, but never heard of a dog being snared. Of course, we were way away from town, or any neighbors, and kept our dogs in the yard or on a chain unless they were working.

I wish we could get some of those, and set around where these blankety-blank wolves hang out......... :roll:

This is the very reason they make kennels.If you have a pet it is your responsibility to keep them contained.This was an accident nothing more.The dog and the trapper were where they did'nt belong.

Not quite an accident. :!:

When someone sets snares within sight of a farmyard, they have a moral responsibility to inform the neighbours. If we'd known there were snares she wouldn't have been allowed out of sight. When this happened, we had been working in the pasture and the dogs were with us. We went home, they followed, but got distracted and took the scenic route by the creek. She was headed home when it caught her.

This guy has been dodging us ever since. The neighbour is playing stupid too. Says he doesn't know the guy's name. Doesn't know what kind of truck he drives, and doesn't know how to find him. Right. :mad: We saw the truck, and so did some hunters just over the fence line from him. We also know where the guy lives, and have put the word out on the jungle grapevine to get his name. We've reported him to the Conservation officers and the RCMP (who have a real soft spot for dogs like Zelda). Once we get his name, he's being investigated.

I also called the neighbour today and set the rules for the future. He tells me he will not put up with these coyotes killing HIS deer, and that he is going to get this bozo back to set up more snares as soon as hunting season is over. I countered with letting him know that if the guy wants coyotes, then he should bring a gun and not snares. I explained to him what Zelda is going through right now, and how cruel a way to die this is. Wouldn't it be ironic if one of HIS deer stepped in a snare?

I also told him that HIS deer have been living the good life in our corn field and hay fields for thirty years and we have never complained. Not once. We've never let hunters in, and never given him a hard time for feeding the deer and letting the herd grow so big. Last winter, in the middle of the afternoon, we had deer laying right out in the open field chewing their cuds like cows! In broad daylight with not a care in the world!! At least three or four get hit by cars every year within a half a mile of our house.

I told him that the reason the coyotes are there is that he has drawn them in by giving them a huge food source and that this is nature. They are not domestic animals. I finished off by telling him that if I find out he has snares on his land, that permission will be given to everyone who asks to hunt deer on our land. No more Mr. Nice Guy. You can literally sit in a lawn chair by our bale stack and pick which one you want, they are that numerous. And tame.. thanks to him. He hasn't done them any favours by domesticating them.

This is escalating, but it didn't have to be this way. If the guy had just come to us and apologized, shown some remorse, this wouldn't get so far. Instead he skulks around and shows us what a lack of character he has.

As for Zelda, it's not looking so good. She had X-rays today and they show she has developed an enlarged non-functioning esophagus. This is from damage to the vagus nerve that controls it. This is the same damage you sometimes see in chronic bloating calves after they've had pneumonia. In a dog it means they can't swallow properly, and food comes back out of their stomach causing aspiration pneumonia. She has already developed pneumonia even without having food. The million dollar question is whether the nerve is not functioning because of the inflammation or whether it's permanent damage. I'm not ready to give up on her yet though. They've upped the antibiotics and once we get the swelling down everywhere, and hopefully the pneumonia cured, then we'll decide what to do. For now she's staying on an IV.

This dog is too special to just give up on yet. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for caring. We really appreciate it.

in my State as soon as the dog crosses the property line you are in tresspass and can get a $50 fine each time. Sorry for your dog the trapper should have told those in the area that snares or traps were out.

She truly is a beautiful dog. I'm sorry for what she is going through, and
what you are going through as well.

Regardless of what happened, the dog is suffering. I'd be mad as a wet
hen about that snare being so close to my home. I don't like traps, either.

A local fellow trapped coyotes in our area and he came and asked if he could set traps on our place. I said, "Do you check them every day?"
He said he didn't and I refused him permission to trap. If there are so many coyotes that they need trapped, then the trappers have a responsiblity to check those traps every day. I don't mind coyotes unless there gets to be too many of them. But I still don't want them caught in a trap for days before someone comes along.

I hate traps. I hate snares.

Keep us posted on your dog, Kato. I hope and pray for the best for her.

Sorry to hear about your dog Kato . Those shepards are tough though and hopefully Zelda will pull through. Don't know why anybody would trap that close to a yardsite most guys with a trapping license stay at least 1 mile to avoid dogs and cats. Wonder if this goofball has a LICENSE :x

Is Zelda able to eat or drink and keep it down? Hope for her & your family that she will be ok, please keep us informed. This is Matt, I can't imagime how bad you must feel.
P1000021_001-1.jpg
[/img]

Some gorgeous Dogs!

I am sorry you have to go through this...We live next to a Wildlife refuge and have lots of coyotes, but very little problems. We occasionally lose a cat and I suspect that may be Coyote related, but that is life....

PPRM

Matt is one handsome dude. :!:

Yesterday Zelda seemed to respond to the addition of Baytril, so I was hopeful. Today she seems exactly the same. No better. No worse. Not coughing up blood any more though.

She wants water now, but after a couple of laps she throws it up. Her trachea is pretty banged up and her gag reflex is pretty strong. Added to pneumonia and an esophagus that's not functioning, and she's in big trouble. We need a miracle.

This is such a roller coaster. :? :? I think Monday will be crunch time. It will be a week on Tuesday since it happened, and the swelling should be less of an issue by then. They are going to take more X-Rays to see if her lungs are any clearer.

The trapper turned himself in to the Conservation office. He told them he feels awful, but I'm still not sure I believe that. I lean toward thinking he just wanted his trap back. My husband says he wants to see this guy in person and hear it from his own mouth. That should be interesting. (Right, Cowzilla? :shock: )

What I want to know is if the neighbour, who has been lying to us all along BTW, actually told this guy to put the trap there. If so, he's the one with the problem now. He knows it's not his land, and can't claim ignorance. If he did put it there on purpose, then we are assuming he was looking to catch Zelda, since she puts the deer down there when they are eating our hay bales. If that's the case, then it's game on in the deer hunting business. We've been keeping hunters off for thirty years, in respect for his liking of the animals, but now it's just not necessary to have respect for him any more.

This whole thing is so sad and so unneccessary. :( :( :(

Kato, I hope you get your miracle and Zelda pulls through. It's sure tough when something like this happens. :cry:

Kato I hope Zelda pulls through. She is a gorgeous dog. I have a soft spot for German Shepards.
Been having coyote trouble here also. Called the Federal trapper. He would rather call them in to shoot them rather then use a snare, especially with a dog around.
That trapper was irresponsible along with that landowner. Let the hunters on, it will get the deer out of your hay. To heck with that neighbor if he acts like that.
It is illeagal in Montana to feed wild animals, but people still do it and cannot figure out why all these predators show up.

I know, this guy just doesn't get it. Right now I'm looking out my office window at his 75 round bales of greenfeed that are sitting in the field right beside our hay yard. I know he has no intention of moving those bales. They are for the deer. Guess where the deer go when the bales are finished? Right into our yard is where. :shock: :shock:

I just found out we can have him legally stopped from feeding wildlife that will lead to property damage, so he's going to have to haul those bales to the south side of his property. We're making the call tomorrow.

No news on Zelda today. We'll find out tomorrow if her x-rays look better.

Kato I was thinking about you the other day when my little guy came home with his face all bloody and his ear torn.I got very upset, thank goodness that it was mostly superficial and he will be fine.

I sure hope Zelda had a good weekend and gives you happy news tomorrow.

Some people live in their own little world with no concern for anyone/anything but themselves and what effects them first hand :roll: .

Really sorry about Zelda. I have a pasture chicken operation amidst a lot of cyotes. To kope with the problem I tie my sled dog team near the tempory chicken pen. One dog runs loose. Knock on wood, I haven't lost a chicken since I started doing this. I do sleep with the shotgun handy. Don't believe in traps. I had a damn good border colly get caught in a spring trap once. He survived. But it sure as hell made me mad. I hate traps and feel sorry for Zelda. I'll say a prayer for her.

traps and snares have a place, we lost 30 lambs to an old coyote one summer before we caught him in a trap.
The wife lost all her little gaggle of geese this fall right net to our house and the ram pasture which also has a few ewes and lambs to breed early for fair lambs to coyotes.
Dropped one from the house this morning with a .204 rugar at 300 yards.

Just caught up reading this posting. How sad! I hope your dog comes through this, Kato, and the perp gets some meaningful punishment.

Latest posts