• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I'd like to kick some butt!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Poison is just as bad as a snare. And a really dirty thing to do to a dog when someone knows it's owned by a kid. :mad: But then again, I guess a personality that thinks cockfights are OK is pretty bent to begin with. Not a person anyone would want for a neighbour, that's for sure.

Peg, I'm not sure what her bloodlines were. I know her mother came from a breeder who sells dogs to the RCMP, and her daddy was a show dog. That's all I know. I saw her mother, and she had a really good strong hind end which I was looking for. So many Shepherds have hip trouble when they get older, and I was trying to avoid that. I never thought she wouldn't "get older" though.

I'm not sure what's going to happen here when the nieghbour is gone. I guess the first couple of winters will be tough for everyone. The deer, and our hay yard both. There's no shortage of hunters around here though, and this herd has produced more than one big buck trophy, so I guess they will reduce the size over time.

He's still planning on shooting the coyotes though, and that has me worried. This particular pack leave cattle alone completely, and if he gets rid of them the deer herd is bound to attract another batch that just may not be so well behaved around cattle. Just a few miles south of us there are some problem coyote packs that have developed a taste for calf, and I'm not looking forward to them moving north. It'll keep the donkeys busy until they get them trained to stay out of our yard. :shock: The current pack knows exactly where the fence line is, and they stay on their side of it.

Kato you hit the nail on the head.Some people are soooo stupid when it comes to coyotes.You are better off having one pack around (as they are very territorial) and give them boundaries like with livestock which is where dogs and such come in place.If you kill your main pack, then another more deadly pack will probably move in.

I highly doubt it's the coyotes after his deer either.

Off on another tangent BUT why is it legal to raise fighting cocks but illegal to fight them?

I would still get a kennel.We hit a dog the otherday with the semi it was running across the road from a farmstead.We were fully loaded and there was no swerveing or stopping.But I'm sure that's my fault also.Damn dog's got more right's than people and that's wrong.Their pet's not people.

Denny said:
I would still get a kennel.We hit a dog the otherday with the semi it was running across the road from a farmstead.We were fully loaded and there was no swerveing or stopping.But I'm sure that's my fault also.Damn dog's got more right's than people and that's wrong.Their pet's not people.

Amen, if a dog around our area is more than a 1/4 mile from the house and especially if it's on our land it's a dead dog. Been way to many probelms with them running stock.

A short counterpoint to the loose dog issue. First , please don't think I am minimizing anyone's loss here but this needs to be said.

My senior year in high school(40 years ago), which illustrates how long this has been around. We were raising running quarter horses, and I had responsibility for the brood mares that winter. There were 15 mares in all. Before I started shooting dogs that year, I had to put one down and stitch up 3 more.

They were in a pasture right on the city limits of a small town in the colo mountains. This was before there were any leash laws.

I shot 21 dogs running in that pasture over a 4 month period of time, they ran in a pack every night and chased my horses until I killed them all. By spring there were carcasses all over that 100 acres and I regretted none of them. They were far more destructive than any p[ack of coyotes ever were. The sad thing was a lot of them were good dogs in the daytime but killers at night.

I did not write this to hurt anyone's feelings but there is always 2 sides to every story.

I already regret the poop storm this will generate!!!!!!!!

I don't think your post will cause a ' fit'.

Everyone here understands the difference between ' pack runners' and the family pet.

3waycross said they are good dogs in the day and killers at night, thats where I feel bad about killing dogs, but I guess that is what dad's are for huh? :)

We've had a couple of cattle chasers around here over the years. The donkeys took care of that themselves. Our philosophy is that if they don't bother the cattle, they won't be bothered back, so we don't get involved. These particular dogs chose to bother and chase the livestock, and the donkeys returned the favour. The owners weren't mad, because they knew that the dogs brought it on themselves. Our donkeys only go after things that try and chase.

Any dogs we've owned in the past fifteen years have learned very quickly at a young age that you do not chase livestock unless you are told to in the line of duty. :!: Freelance cattle roundups are not allowed. Ever. If one of our dogs was to go and chase other people's cattle we would not complain if the owner of those cattle took steps to stop it, because we won't tolerate the behaviour here between our own dogs and cattle.

I get where you're coming from Denny, but I also see that there is a lot of difference between an accident and an intentional kill. If my dog was hit by a car, then I would view it as an accident, and that would be that. I can also see that unlike our neighbour, you have the integrity to feel bad about the dog, even though it's being hit was unintentional and unavoidable. It was an accident.

Kato said:
We've had a couple of cattle chasers around here over the years. The donkeys took care of that themselves. Our philosophy is that if they don't bother the cattle, they won't be bothered back, so we don't get involved. These particular dogs chose to bother and chase the livestock, and the donkeys returned the favour. The owners weren't mad, because they knew that the dogs brought it on themselves. Our donkeys only go after things that try and chase.

Any dogs we've owned in the past fifteen years have learned very quickly at a young age that you do not chase livestock unless you are told to in the line of duty. :!: Freelance cattle roundups are not allowed. Ever. If one of our dogs was to go and chase other people's cattle we would not complain if the owner of those cattle took steps to stop it, because we won't tolerate the behaviour here between our own dogs and cattle.

I get where you're coming from Denny, but I also see that there is a lot of difference between an accident and an intentional kill. If my dog was hit by a car, then I would view it as an accident, and that would be that. I can also see that unlike our neighbour, you have the integrity to feel bad about the dog, even though it's being hit was unintentional and unavoidable. It was an accident.

Your dog was intentionally trespassing on your neighbors land and was unintentionally got in a snare meant for coyotes. I see no one to blame but yourself for letting your dog wander.

Kato, Sorry to hear the bad news.
Denny I have to agree with you. There is a feed lot south of us and they had a problem with dogs chasing and attacking the cattle in the pens. Calls to the owners, Sheriffs Department and Animal Control did no good. They finally posted a notice in the local paper that any dogs caught on their property chasing cattle would be shot on sight. The dogs disappeared.

It was an illegally set snare on municipal property that was set without permission. The land it was on was NOT HIS LAND.

Zelda was on her way home from helping us in the pasture and was diverted less than a hundred and fifty feet from the road by the scent of the trail left by our neighbours so called pet deer, all two hundred of them, who have been living pretty large on our feed for years.

He did not tell us the snare was there.

I will never accept that this is not his fault. Feeding deer is illegal in our province if it causes damage to private property, which these deer have.

That's all I have to say about it.

Kato..sorry to hear of the loss of your dog.

That being said any responsible trapper would have not set a powersnare that close to someones yard.

Back in Kansas I lived near a big town so we always had dog problems. THe dogs that cause the problems are the feral packs, and should be eliminated. Feral packs are a danger to people as well as livestock. As far as a neighbor's dog straying across the ranch, its a problem best dealt with by communiation and cooperation. I might be less forgiving if I raised sheep, but if a lone dog can get one of my calves, I don't want its momma propagating the herd. I get ill when I have to shoot a dog.

Kato's dog situation is a tragedy. No dog is always where it should be just as no cows always stay in the pasture. This is where neighbors need to exercize judgement, and illegal snaring is very unneighborly.

Kato, I've been through a similar situation as you, where my folk's place abuts the Arkansas River (which is a navigable stream) so trapping the river is quasi legal without landowner's consent. I was doctoring shippies down near the river when my dog got head caught in a beaver trap. The trap was legal on the water, but not upland where it was also a trespass. I was 20 something and insanely angry so I unkaked my pony and waited on that trap. My Dad found me at midnight and Dad (and my big brother) dragged me out of the timber. I considered my dog to be a family member. I sure didn't agree with my ol Dad at the time, but he likely kept me out of prison. The jackass trapper tried to argue "high water mark" crap so my brother thrashed him pretty well anyway.

Latest posts