• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Idaho Shag ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I got Dog Wrestle-mania to halt long enough to take their picture. When Rufus was a pup she would harass old Bear but never bite her. Patty feels no such restriction. She all the time walks around with a big mouth full of Rufus hair in her mouth. Patty is now just about 4 months old. I wonder is she is ever going to grow into those ears.

Attachments

• P6092564.JPG
    P6092564.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 57
I got Dog Wrestle-mania to halt long enough to take their picture. When Rufus was a pup she would harass old Bear but never bite her. Patty feels no such restriction. She all the time walks around with a big mouth full of Rufus hair in her mouth. Patty is now just about 4 months old. I wonder is she is ever going to grow into those ears.
Oh yes, she will.
She's a very handsome pup.
So how is she doing? Outside of being a champion wrestler, I mean. 😊

Rufus, what is she? She's very pretty.

I am no expert on dog names or even the modern trends in dog naming, but Rufus seems like an unusual name for a female. Perhaps it has been placed on the gender-neutral list and I wasn't paying attention.

I am no expert on dog names or even the modern trends in dog naming, but Rufus seems like an unusual name for a female. Perhaps it has been placed on the gender-neutral list and I wasn't paying attention.
Rufus is a Border Collie. In our brief stay in Goldendale WA the little town of Rufus is just over on the Oregon side of the river. I told the wife that Rufus would be a good dog name. Thus we have Rufus. She knows her own name..... she goes Ruf Ruf when a car pulls in the driveway.
The old Bear dog was also a female. Bear is generally not a female name. What does it matter what a dog is named as long as it comes when called.
Patty is still a puppy in a lot of ways. Easily distracted at times. But getting better all the time. Comes when called if not distracted. Sits most of the time. We are working on stay, it is getting better. We do have a long ways to go (down, that will do, etc). She sure wants to chase a cow. The cows are all gone for now so she has a chance to grow and get some control before being introduced to them again. I am going to pick up a couple leppy calves to work her on later this summer. I have to dog prove a pen for the calves to live in so the dogs can't chase them when I am not with them.

Rufus is a Border Collie. In our brief stay in Goldendale WA the little town of Rufus is just over on the Oregon side of the river. I told the wife that Rufus would be a good dog name. Thus we have Rufus. She knows her own name..... she goes Ruf Ruf when a car pulls in the driveway.
The old Bear dog was also a female. Bear is generally not a female name. What does it matter what a dog is named as long as it comes when called.
Patty is still a puppy in a lot of ways. Easily distracted at times. But getting better all the time. Comes when called if not distracted. Sits most of the time. We are working on stay, it is getting better. We do have a long ways to go (down, that will do, etc). She sure wants to chase a cow. The cows are all gone for now so she has a chance to grow and get some control before being introduced to them again. I am going to pick up a couple leppy calves to work her on later this summer. I have to dog prove a pen for the calves to live in so the dogs can't chase them when I am not with them.
I know where Rufus, Oregon is hahaha! One of my Grandpas had a mule named Rufus. That is what I thought of connected to the name Rufus. Like you say anything a dog answers to must be their name.

Rufus will put Patty in her place if she gets too ruf ruf one of these days.LOL
She already does over food. Rufus has a deer leg bone she found. Patty doesn't dare go near that bone. They are close enough in age (Rufus is only 2) that I think in a couple years the pecking order might change. Patty is going to be a tougher more aggressive dog than Rufus just based on breeding. Once they are both adults Patty will win any battle they might have.

Mike's dog Grace is 2 1/2, she and Maggie play like crazy. Outside Grace is super rough but inside Maggie is rougher. Yesterday she had Grace cowering in the back of the pickup :0 Will have to keep a close eye on her.

Our old Bear dog had a semi flat basketball she loved to chase. Patty and Rufus totally destroyed it. Tore a hole in it and then played tug a war until there was nothing left. With her dreams of the NBA destroyed, Patty has now moved to the NFL and the Super Bowl. I think the football is doomed too.

Attachments

• P6282593.JPG
    P6282593.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 52
Hey everyone! I just happened upon this thread when I was doing a little reading up on Idaho Shags. I got my shag X from an Amish family in Pennsylvania about three months ago. They said the bitch was from Cheyenne, WY, and oddly enough I live on the other side of Wyoming. The bitch went with the family to PA and supposedly bred with a charcoal lab. All the pups were black, but mine is brown. I wonder if the bitch may have bred with more than one sire and I know they can have mixed litters. I didn't get the pup as a working dog, but I'm a counselor at a school. He's been the quickest learner, has the sweetest and most gentle disposition, and has done fantastic with the kids at school. He's quite protective at home if someone shows up that he doesn't know. He's up for hiking miles and miles on the weekends, is great with other dogs, sleeps when we're at home, is eager to learn, and is extremely timid if he thinks I'm displeased with him. My last dog was a wirehaired pointing griffon and in contrast this pup has been extremely easy to train. I am doing a doggie DNA kit just out of curiosity to see if the sire was a lab. He's just such a good dog that I'd love to know what all he's made of.

Latest posts