• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ideal herd

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond said:
Most money we ever made was back grounding a pot load of long horn steers one summer.

I personally run black but I would love to have some white cows crossed with red angus, making the sandy colored calves. Those sell real well around here.
I think we are going to run white bulls on these red cows of my son's. The few longhorn cross cows I have will get bred the same way. I just won't keep any heifers out of them.

One nice thing about them red cows, no rat tails. :wink:

How often do you folks see fat tails when your using black crosses? A lot of people here out east use black bulls on white cows and I haven't seen many rat tails at all. My in-laws run 500 white cows with black bulls (Angus and Simms) and I've never seen to many rat tails.

My ideal cow herd would be Hereford cows bred to Angus bulls. Everyone likes a baldy calf. :wink:

Baldies do everything well and have the advantage of heterosis, whether they are steers going to a feedlot or heifers going back to the country as breeding stock.

It's really tough to beat a baldy cow bred to a continental breed.

For me 300 head of registered Black Angus is my goal.That would get me 75 top quality bulls to sell 75 steers and 50 replacement heifers 50 bred females to sell and 50 feeder heifers give or take in a normal year plus the 50 cull animals weather they be dead,old or just poorer producers.When my man cub gets older our size may expand but for me 300 is a nice number.

Latest posts