• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

If a class of 5th graders wanted to visit your farm/ranch --

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pointrider

Reaction score
If a class of 5th graders from a nearby large city wanted to visit your farm/ranch would you let them come? If yes, what would you show them? Finally, do you have a high speed Internet connection, or do you have a dial-up modem system?

Well it wasn't 5th graders, but was freshman n sophmores from the Ag Mech class. Let em come out to observe when we worked cows. I dont think I'd have a problem letting 5th graders come out either. As long as they are allowed to ask questions and get answers, to me it's ok, but also would have to be ok with their parents.

Dial up, out in the middle of the piney woods where there's nothin but dial up....and probably won't ever be anything else.......

2nd first:DSL
First second: What do they come out to see? "Normal everyday" ranch life? Setting water? Cutting pigs? Cleaning the chicken house? I say bring them on!

Absolutely Yes... The more connections the city kids have with the farms/ranches, the better for us all (you probably don't want to show them butchering chickens, though!).

For some, this may be their only opportunity to be out of the city in their lives. Scary, I know, but there are some unfortunate people who don't "get out."

This is their chance to see with their own eyes, and actually REMEMBER where milk comes from, how a horse feels, how a cow smells, etc. Let 'em come on out, and be friendly, and let them see friendly things! :)

When that class was out to watch us work cows, there was a wave of "ewwwwwwww's" when we had a calf down on the ground, givin it a shot and knotchin it's ear, she let out a stream of poop. Was a calf about 4 months old.....so it was plentiful. LOL and naturally it got all over Mr. Lilly. They were all sittin on the fence, thinkin and sayin, "how gross, stinks, etc" he walked up to em, n said,"smells like money to me" then went on about his business.

Nothin funner than listening to the thots and impressions of a bunch of little ones, 3-4 year olds are the funnest,

PPRM

I would but you have to take some precautions. Make sure your liability is paid up and have sanitizer on hand, make sure they all clean their hands if they're touching anything before they leave. There have been a number of farms sued out of business after kids caught E-coli or salmonella from handling cattle or equipment. Remember that these are kids that have never been allowed to be exposed to anything in their lives, don't have immunities like farm kids have.

I'd say by all means invite them out...I'd ask if you could go into their classroom first and visit with them about your place, what they'll see, etc. That will make their learning experience more valuable, because you'll have their full attention in the classroom. When they get to your outfit you'll have their full attention too, and they'll be so excited to see what you "taught" in the classroom. Also if you can make it hands on they'll have a better experience.

I'd second what Dale said--make sure they all wash their hands well before leaving, and also maybe have a few first aid supplies on hand too.

As for internet, we just got satelitte internet---and it rocks. A million times better than dial up-so much easier to download pictures, documents, and most importantly sale catalogs!

Have fun with the little ones--sw might also be able to give some good info. too--let us know how it goes!

Cheers!

TTB

I would call the state Agriculture in the Classroom organization for assistance. Having plenty of help to explain things to young kids, and to make sure they stayed in bounds and not get hurt.

That org. has a wealth of classroom materials about many aspects of agriculture, as well as people well versed in working with kids. State Beef Industry Council would have valuable materials and expertise, too.

Teaming young kids with an FFA class of older students could have good results, too.

Sorta depends on the goals of the person making the request, or the rancher offering the experience how it should be handled, though.

The safety and health aspects and liability are all something to consider, but we really do need more such opportunities for kids not living on farms.....and maybe even for those who do to see other forms or types of ag operations.

We have hosted a few adult and college tour groups over the years, and it is rewarding to us and those who have been here say they learned things, too.

I do see quite a few warning articles about the dangers of diseases being brought to our premises if we allow such tour groups, in this time of uncertainty. Sad, but true, I suppose.

MRJ

MRJ

MRJ,

When my wife brings her class out (Three year olds), the parents come along, so I guess it would be a great opportunity to teach some adults to...
Your post was great because I never thought of who else we could involve, who all could be taught and the previsit opportunities in the classroom......

I would doubt that a class of 5th graders would have a bioterror agenda, but you are right that we do need to watch who is making rounds on our place,

PPRM

Latest posts