• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I'M Done!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Haymensa wrote-

manitoba wanna be,if people like you would get out of ranching,it would be better for cattlemen,seems like people like you always have a cheap excuse why they caint get by,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's extra funny coming from an R-calfer!! A member of "Cheap Excuse Central"!!! :lol: :lol:
"Captive supply" and "imports" are not cheap excuses but input costs exceeding revenues are....I get it now... :roll: :lol: :lol:
I think I'll keep a few dozen of my top-end cows and stick around on Ranchers.net just for the entertainment. :lol: :lol:
Just so you know, Haymaker, I've been at MR's place. A "wannabe", he ain't.

The Canadian currency was trading at $1.0571, or 94.60 Canadian cents, shortly after the announcement, above the 47-year high of $1.0510, or 95.15 Canadian cents, it hit Tuesday. The dollar bought 95.35 Canadian cents late Tuesday.

The dollar continued to plunge against the Canadian dollar in later trading, buying 94.16 Canadian cents. The Canadian dollar was worth $1.0620, the first time it broke through $1.06 in 50 years.

The Canadian dollar goes up to $1.26 .

TimH said:
Haymensa wrote-

manitoba wanna be,if people like you would get out of ranching,it would be better for cattlemen,seems like people like you always have a cheap excuse why they caint get by,

That's extra funny coming from an R-calfer!! A member of "Cheap Excuse Central"!!! :lol: :lol:
"Captive supply" and "imports" are not cheap excuses but input costs exceeding revenues are....I get it now... :roll: :lol: :lol:
I think I'll keep a few dozen of my top-end cows and stick around on Ranchers.net just for the entertainment. :lol: :lol:

Well he sure whines like one,since he is living on daddy's place and tending daddy's cattle,I will assume he is just shooting off his big mouth again :D
good luck
PS I been ranching a long time,have little use for whiners/quiters,like elmo sez..........never let a loser tell you how to win :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
TimH said:
Haymensa wrote-

Well he sure whines like one,since he is living on daddy's place and tending daddy's cattle,I will assume he is just shooting off his big mouth again :D
good luck
PS I been ranching a long time,have little use for whiners/quiters,like elmo sez..........never let a loser tell you how to win :wink:

Hayseed, :disagree:

Im no whiner. If you want to loose a whole bunch of money that daddy gave you thats ok with me but it doesnt work for me. I find this funny what you are saying about me. I m three times less the age of you and have five times more cattle and assets than you. So no I dont look after daddys cattle. Maybe thats the way you asre used to doing it but not me. Stay outta the bottle :drink:

Sure whine alot for a kid that has 5 times the cattle and assets of someone you dont know. :D
good luck
PS you better check with daddy about that 5 times the assets stuff :D

HAY MAKER said:
I been ranching a long time,have little use for whiners/quiters,like elmo sez..........never let a loser tell you how to win

Hay Maker, if you truely believe your statement, you had better check out your R-CALF leader!

I can't imagine living anywere else but the country no matter what cattle prices are or what the weather throws at us. Can you picture yourself sitting in your lazyboy day after day or taking your dog for a walk with your pooper scooper and baggy, not me. I have lived in the country all my life I was finally able to buy a quarter of land and now have a few head of cows. I am not a big rancher like alot of you but I also have to work full time just to make ends meet. I would love nothing more than to have my farm my full time job and be self sufficient. I also had to buy all my own equipment to put feed up for my cows. Can you make any money off a lot in town with a 400,000 dollar house, I don't thinks so. Whine and complain all you want but ranching or farming is a lifestyle not a business, otherwise there wouldn't be anybody doing it at all. If I won the lottery I would buy more cows and more land and live my dream job. Getting up in the morning saddle up my horse and check cows, or hitch up a team and go feed the heard in -40 degree weather it's all part of the lifestyle. So if your looking for sypathy it's not going to happen. And it don't matter what side of the largest uprotected border you ranch on we all have our difficulties and were all part of North America I am a very proud Canadian and I am Glad we have the United States of America as neighbors other wise we would be sitting ducks for the rest of the world.
Just my oppinion.

Decker said:
I can't imagine living anywere else but the country no matter what cattle prices are or what the weather throws at us. Can you picture yourself sitting in your lazyboy day after day or taking your dog for a walk with your pooper scooper and baggy, not me. I have lived in the country all my life I was finally able to buy a quarter of land and now have a few head of cows. I am not a big rancher like alot of you but I also have to work full time just to make ends meet. I would love nothing more than to have my farm my full time job and be self sufficient. I also had to buy all my own equipment to put feed up for my cows. Can you make any money off a lot in town with a 400,000 dollar house, I don't thinks so. Whine and complain all you want but ranching or farming is a lifestyle not a business, otherwise there wouldn't be anybody doing it at all. If I won the lottery I would buy more cows and more land and live my dream job. Getting up in the morning saddle up my horse and check cows, or hitch up a team and go feed the heard in -40 degree weather it's all part of the lifestyle. So if your looking for sypathy it's not going to happen. And it don't matter what side of the largest uprotected border you ranch on we all have our difficulties and were all part of North America I am a very proud Canadian and I am Glad we have the United States of America as neighbors other wise we would be sitting ducks for the rest of the world.
Just my oppinion.

Well I be Damn !!!!!!!! A Canadian that makes sense......... :clap:
good luck

Sorry to hear about fellow Canadians calling it quits. :( :( :( The really sad thing is that you guys are just a very small part of a much bigger number that are leaving.

Keep those few cows anyway Tim. Chores in January are a good way to develop character and keep us grounded. 8) :wink: :wink:

Mr. Haymaker, I'm not sure you quite get what the cattle business has been like up here in the past few years. We've seen a lot of ups and downs during our cattle adventures, but never such a long series of downs all in a row. I can understand how anyone would just say "That's enough. I'm out of here." It's the worst we've seen since we got started.

Back in 1975 we were young and poor, and the cattle prices were so awful that when we bought our first ten bred cows the seller threw in enough hay to feed them until pasture just to get us to take them. They cost $300.00 each, and my father in law told us we were crazy to take out such a big loan and that we'd never pay it back. Well, within a month of bringing those cows home they were worth $500.00, and we sold the calves for more than the cows had cost us. Paid the loan off in one payment. This was a time when wheat was over $10.00 a bushel, and the dollar was above par with the U.S. buck too. Now, in 2007, thirty two years later, cows are now worth about $400. Wheat is about $6.00 here, and the dollar is $1.04. Those numbers aren't very different. :!: The problem is that where is the 50 cent a gallon fuel and 35 dollar a week grocery bills that were around last time we got this kind of income???? :roll: :roll: :roll:

There have been lots of tough times since then, and we've always rode them out. We can't think of another way we'd rather make our living. This past few years though, have been enough to test the determination of the best of us. We've had times over the kitchen table where we looked at each other and asked "What are we doing this for?" Then an hour later we find ourselves stopping in the middle of chores to watch calves playing in the straw, or deer walking by the yard, and realize why we live like this. It's more than money. The money is there to allow us to continue to stay here. Maybe we stick it out because we've been doing it for so long that it's become who we are. As my hubby says "It's what we do!"

I can understand totally how someone would want out though, especially if they are young enough to go on and start a new life with new opportunities. I wouldn't blame them at all.

The really good thing is that in parts of Canada there are a LOT of opportunities. Money coming in from the energy field is creating those opportunities. Please seek them. Life is full of opportunities even if you feel you have been dealt a big, big blow.

I will have to say one more time, these problems producers are facing are largely beyond their control. Don't blame yourselves, just put your head up and go on. You never know what might happen in the future and there is a place for you and your families in it.

Every industry has some that come and go on the fringes. When it happens in big ways, as it seems to be for Canadian producers right now, you just have to put your head up and work it out. Don't give up your dreams, they just might be on hold right now.

I don't like to see this for anyone (having been there myself).

Kato said:
Sorry to hear about fellow Canadians calling it quits. :( :( :( The really sad thing is that you guys are just a very small part of a much bigger number that are leaving.

Keep those few cows anyway Tim. Chores in January are a good way to develop character and keep us grounded. 8) :wink: :wink:

Mr. Haymaker, I'm not sure you quite get what the cattle business has been like up here in the past few years. We've seen a lot of ups and downs during our cattle adventures, but never such a long series of downs all in a row. I can understand how anyone would just say "That's enough. I'm out of here." It's the worst we've seen since we got started.

Back in 1975 we were young and poor, and the cattle prices were so awful that when we bought our first ten bred cows the seller threw in enough hay to feed them until pasture just to get us to take them. They cost $300.00 each, and my father in law told us we were crazy to take out such a big loan and that we'd never pay it back. Well, within a month of bringing those cows home they were worth $500.00, and we sold the calves for more than the cows had cost us. Paid the loan off in one payment. This was a time when wheat was over $10.00 a bushel, and the dollar was above par with the U.S. buck too. Now, in 2007, thirty two years later, cows are now worth about $400. Wheat is about $6.00 here, and the dollar is $1.04. Those numbers aren't very different. :!: The problem is that where is the 50 cent a gallon fuel and 35 dollar a week grocery bills that were around last time we got this kind of income???? :roll: :roll: :roll:

There have been lots of tough times since then, and we've always rode them out. We can't think of another way we'd rather make our living. This past few years though, have been enough to test the determination of the best of us. We've had times over the kitchen table where we looked at each other and asked "What are we doing this for?" Then an hour later we find ourselves stopping in the middle of chores to watch calves playing in the straw, or deer walking by the yard, and realize why we live like this. It's more than money. The money is there to allow us to continue to stay here. Maybe we stick it out because we've been doing it for so long that it's become who we are. As my hubby says "It's what we do!"

I can understand totally how someone would want out though, especially if they are young enough to go on and start a new life with new opportunities. I wouldn't blame them at all.

Good post kato..........

I think we have all been in those shoes at some form of time...... Like Soapweed says you do what ya like to do and you never have to work a day in your life...... Ranching, farming, it's what we like to do....... There have been times here when we could of threw our hands in the air and said I quit........ But we resized the problem and found other ways to make it work....... Just have to remember there is more ways to skin a cat, so's to speak.........

Good point.

I think a lot of what keeps us in this is the old "battle of wits" thing. We're kind of like those extreme sports guys in a lot of ways. 8) Adrenalin junkies. :lol: It's a great rush when you make a good move and beat the odds. The trick is to keep that in mind while you wait for the next big move. :!: Lately the good news has been spread out pretty thin, so we have to work at remembering. :roll: :roll:

We're too old to change our ways now anyway, so we might as well enjoy the ride. :wink: :wink:

Latest posts