• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I'm toying with an idea

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ive got to say no as well. We have grown into one big family on here that can get along on the most part. Its nice to sit down and read about what everybody has posted after a long day of doing chores.

Denny said:
mp.freelance said:
I was sitting here in front of my computer thinking about article ideas, when it struck me that I could be staring at one. Ranchers.net is a pretty thriving internet community, with ranchers and others from around the U.S. communicating with each other. How open would you guys be to having something written about this website? Like I said, I'm just toying with the idea, and haven't even decided whether to bring the idea to my editor at the Capital Press. If I go ahead with it, I'd need to call a few of you at home (with your permission, of course), and I'd need to quote you with your real name and location. I'd also need to talk to the administrators to find out more about the history of the website, etc. What do you think?

no no no no no no NO.................DONT GO AWAY MAD JUST GO AWAY....

Don't worry about it - I won't go away mad. You're all good people. I've got plenty of other ideas for articles, and I don't want to bother you more than I already have. Actually, I kind of take it as a compliment that you think one of my articles could actually start an avalanche of new users! I think you give me more credit than I deserve. I can take a hint, no hard feelings. Unlike Disagreebable, I know when to shut up. No hard feelings.

mp.freelance-

What a unique idea! Ideally, it would seem as though everything would be perfectly fine and dandy, particularly looking at the open-minded thinking and conscientiousness that the Ranchers.net family exudes. - - - -BUT - - -and this is a large 'never-the-less' - - -the unrestricted self-expressionism that pervades the 'freedom of the press' First Amendment Rights Advocates' thinking would be a waving flag and an open door for "politically correct" animal rights advocates to 'peacefully protest' the inhumane, cruel and savage' treatment of our poor defenseless farm animals! All one has to do is read a few threads on the Political forum here to get a quick idea of how some of these idiots think. I am afraid that this really fine idea of yours, freelance, would come back and bite YOU - along with this entire forum - in ways no one can imagine. I am sorry to have to feel this way, because I think that it is a distinctive idea, but I have to express my feeling concerning it. I must vote a resounding - NO! And I am sorry to say it!

DOC HARRIS

I say no also, same reasons. This site has become somewhat of an extended family of mine, especially a certain few. And most of the rest, I consider friends. I enjoy my time on here, and I sure wouldn't want it ruined by alot of newcomers.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Just my thoughts....Instead of doin an article on "the site itself" why not take some of our topics maybe.....and do the research on that, on your own. I"m sure there are alot of things that come up that could be included in an article about ranchers, or rural life, etc. that could be used without bringing up this website.

Actually, I've done that to a degree already. Some of the discussion about the "Ranching for Profit" school really helped me out, as do a lot of the "Ranch Talk" threads. I don't comment there much, because I mostly just want to learn more (having not grown up on a ranch myself).

DOC HARRIS said:
What a unique idea! Ideally, it would seem as though everything would be perfectly fine and dandy, particularly looking at the open-minded thinking and conscientiousness that the Ranchers.net family exudes. - - - -BUT - - -and this is a large 'never-the-less' - - -the unrestricted self-expressionism that pervades the 'freedom of the press' First Amendment Rights Advocates' thinking would be a waving flag and an open door for "politically correct" animal rights advocates to 'peacefully protest' the inhumane, cruel and savage' treatment of our poor defenseless farm animals! All one has to do is read a few threads on the Political forum here to get a quick idea of how some of these idiots think. I am afraid that this really fine idea of yours, freelance, would come back and bite YOU - along with this entire forum - in ways no one can imagine. I am sorry to have to feel this way, because I think that it is a distinctive idea, but I have to express my feeling concerning it. I must vote a resounding - NO! And I am sorry to say it!
I'm going to have to disagree with your concern about animal rights activists. I've written about dairy co-ops, sheep, cow-calf operations, and others, and none of the people I've written about have had this problem. Capital Press is devoted to ranching and farming, so any article in the paper cold be potential fodder for wackos, but usually isn't. Nonetheless, I realize you've had problems before, so I completely respect yours and everybody else's opinions. I won't be pursuing the article, but I sincerely thank all of you for responding. I was concerned that my proposition would go largely ignored, which would have been worse than what I got: a resounding NO. I'm just glad I brought the idea to the table before calling my editor about it, because then I'd be in a bad situation: an article to write and nobody to interview!

Actually, you could have a point now that I think about it - lefties who wouldn't go picket in front of someone's ranch would gladly get online under an assumed name and start bitching. I guess it's the anonymity of it all that you find bothersome, which is something I hadn't considered.

BTW, does anyone know where that article was printed (and when) that started the animal rights invasion?

I write a newspaper column about various subjects, anything I can think of.
When the subject is something of a serious nature I give a lot of thought to it and carefully research it. I ocassionally get in trouble. There's always some folks who just aren't going to agree with you. I can handle that as long as I know I am right, or anyway am secure in my opinion.

I too, would vote NO.

I'm glad that you asked and that you listened.

Sometimes where this type of thing is concerned, it starts out well-intentioned and does not end up that way. You just never know how the
reaction is going to be and we don't need those bad (re-)ACTORS on ranchers.net, even for a few weeks. Once the harm is done, it is too late.

If I recall, the mention of ranchers.net was made in Beef Magazine. I started on this forum in the fall of 2002, I THINK. That is when I got my first computer, and the mention of ranchers.net was before that. Actually, that is how I found out about ranchers.net. A friend read about it, used it and told me about it. I now feel like most here are an extended family and I'm so glad our trails crossed. I'm hooked.

And, mpfreelance, just so you know, I have appreciated your intelligent posts on bull session. I have learned some things from you!

I'm glad you are on board and we can just leave this site to those who stumble upon it.

I'd like to know more about the circulation numbers and typical readers of your articles. I'll vote maybe. It could bring some outstanding individuals to the site. More info please.

Beef magazine inspired that S**T? I guess you're right to be worried. I figured it'd be something like The New Yorker or something. I guess the lefties have their tentacles everywhere. Good to know!

I'd like to know more about the circulation numbers and typical readers of your articles. I'll vote maybe. It could bring some outstanding individuals to the site. More info please.

That was my thought Cal. When I first got on here, I expected the posters to change all the time, and I was surprised when it stayed fairly stagnant. This is a good place to learn.

I'm still waiting for you to weigh in on the 4 wheeler post. :wink:

Cal said:

Cal, I've decided against writing the article but please check the paper out anyway: www.capitalpress.com. If you or anybody else wants to see some of my articles, please send me a private message and I'll send links. Even though a piece on Ranchers.net obviously isn't viable, I'll be more than happy to hear other ideas. Capital Press serves ranchers and farmers throughout Oregon, Idaho, Washington and California, and it's the top ag newspaper in the western U.S. Even if any of you voted "no" I strongly encourage you to check out the website because it's really a great paper.

the real jake said:
I'm still waiting for you to weigh in on the 4 wheeler post. :wink:

Hey Little Joe, err, I mean real jake, LOL, it's coming but I need to get off the puter right now, and should be back by tomorrow evening. Have a good one!

mp.freelance, since your decision has been posted, I realize this is redundant. However, I'm just so surprised at the number and vehemence against your idea. I don't even have a strong opinion on your idea, but generally tend to favor more, rather than less, openness and information about any subject. Sounds at least a little bit as though we like our little village just as it is, and heaven help any who want to move in next door if they don't "act" right.

For you, a look at the bright side of this is that you can just lift subjects and ideas from this site and shouldn't even need to worry about proper attribution!!!

MRJ

Since my curiousity had been piqued, I tried to find the original article about Ranchers.Net in the national publication. Finally I made a telephone call to Jody Brown, the founder of this site. He said it was Time Magazine, and it could be found be typing in: jody brown vegetarian in the Google search. I did and it worked. Here is the link: http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020715/story.html

Anyway, the article was in the July 15, 2002 issue of Time and was posted on July 7, 2002. Back to mp.freelance's original query, it might not do any harm and may in fact do some good if he wrote an article for an agricultural publication. Time Magazine was too "mainstream" and subjected the Ranchers.Net site to unfavorable attention. An article in an ag publication could possibly bring favorable attention, and open doors to find "long lost relatives" in this extended "family" ranch internet site. New ranch knowledge and new friends might be obtained. Guess I, for one, wouldn't be totally against mp.freelance writing his story, since it would be for an AGRICULTURE publication.

The arguement can again commence. :wink: :)

mp,

Hangin A used to be on here from Pasco, I've corrsponded with several folks from the okanogen and Idaho.

My impression is we knw what it is no, but if an article is written, we have no idea what it will become and it would be hard to get back. That could be good or bad, some nutritionalists and vets might come here and really add to the flavor,

Soapweed would likely become a folk hero

I am nuetral,

Pat

Soapweed said:
Since my curiousity had been piqued, I tried to find the original article about Ranchers.Net in the national publication. Finally I made a telephone call to Jody Brown, the founder of this site. He said it was Time Magazine, and it could be found be typing in: jody brown vegetarian in the Google search. I did and it worked. Here is the link: http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020715/story.html

Anyway, the article was in the July 15, 2002 issue of Time and was posted on July 7, 2002. Back to mp.freelance's original query, it might not do any harm and may in fact do some good if he wrote an article for an agricultural publication. Time Magazine was too "mainstream" and subjected the Ranchers.Net site to unfavorable attention. An article in an ag publication could possibly bring favorable attention, and open doors to find "long lost relatives" in this extended "family" ranch internet site. New ranch knowledge and new friends might be obtained. Guess I, for one, wouldn't be totally against mp.freelance writing his story, since it would be for an AGRICULTURE publication.

The arguement can again commence. :wink: :)

I just read that article and couldn't believe how dumb it was. Practically no facts whatsover, pure rant. Rest assured, that would not be the story I would have written!

Woops, didn't realize that wasn't the only page! Nonetheless, it casts ranchers.net in a negative light with its patronizing tone.

I guess I'm neutral too. We get the Capital Press, Hubby can't to read it when it comes. That and The Western Livestock Journal he reads all of. It's a good paper.

Hangin A used to be on here from Pasco
As in Alexanders? I knew them when I went to college in Moscow. The Block and Bridle club had a Char. show string.

Latest posts