• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Impressive Fencer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL

Reaction score
We run a Speedrite 36000R in the yard. It is a sizeable fencer with remote control, but it was only putting out about 2.5kV. Couldn't figure out what was going on but the indicator lights showed it was under load. Visual inspection and fault find check couldn't find anything other than missing current. I put in another ground rod bringing the total up on the fence to 12 - 10' galvanized grounds and still nothing.
The indication of load on the fencer led me to a suspect spot with a few weeds on the fence, but as I checked both sides of the gate I thought "I never hooked anything up like that ever!". A gas utility had put a gas line in to a neighbour's new house (I turned the fencer off for them) and had hooked the hot underground wire to the ground wire on the other side of the gate. The fencer was putting out 2.5Kv but the heat was connected directly to 5 - 10' galvanized ground rods.
I switched the wire and reconnected, and the power jumped to 7. Went down the fence and checked the fence again at the last gate. 7 on one side, 3 on the other and 0 on the fence that T'ed up to it. Same thing again. Switched that wire around and we are now up to 10.
Thank god for remote control fencers and fault finders as it saved me hours, but I impressed that the fencer still put out 2.5 when it was running straight into the earth on 3//4 of a mile of it's length.

Always buy the biggest charger you can afford!

I only have 5 miles of fence and all within 1 mile of the charger but I still bought one rated for 150 miles of moderately weedy fence.

When a tornado came thru about 3 years ago I could not check fence for about 2 to 3 weeks as I had more pressing issues, when I did I had about 100' missing but the cattle stayed in!

I turned cattle out into a corn field after harvest several years ago and did not realise I had never turned the fence on till I watched a hunter grab it and cross. Cattle never bothered it. I wanted to be there when the hunter returned but I guess I missed the show!

The 36000R is rated for 220 miles of fence. I see they now offer a 63000.
The R is for remote = worth every penny and then some.

We also run a 6000i with remote that can run on 12V or 120V power and a 9000 that runs on 12V. All very good fencers.

very impressive fencers, but where are they available, have been trying to find something other than the ufa/power wizard crap but no dealers mean no sales. Gallegher are around but expensive, and lots of dealers don,t carry much inventory, just enough to claim they are a dealer.

Just picked up a 6000I from Lambs Acres at Agribiton. Give them a call they ship all the time.

The 63000 carries a hefty price tag. Does anyone have any experience with the 3600r? I may have to upgrade my gallagher bev 3's in the future.

hayguy said:
very impressive fencers, but where are they available, have been trying to find something other than the ufa/power wizard crap but no dealers mean no sales. Gallegher are around but expensive, and lots of dealers don,t carry much inventory, just enough to claim they are a dealer.
I always deal directly with Ab Gorrill at Lamb Acres
http://lambacres.ca
The service is great and they are very good to deal with. They even repair fencers if you need it.
The 36000R has been a great fencer. I like the speedrite (they are the same as a stayfix) for the same money as a Gallagher (at least around here) you can get twice the fencer, or for the same fencer the price is 1/2. I would always recommend the remote. We have all our fencers set to the same channel and carry a remote fault finder in each truck.

Wow, I totally don't understand.

If you were using a fault finder and had a short, you should have had lots of current on the wire leaving the fencer, like 20 amps.

The 2.5 kilo Volts is because there is resistance in the wire.

Using a faultfinder, that kind of problem should have been easy to find in minutes.

SH - it was a freaky situation, because normally a short shows up on my tester running at 30+ amps. For some reason it was powering down the fence and the way things worked it wasn't showing a fault. I have had one wildlife issue since and the fault took very little time to find.
Minutes is a stretch here as we have many miles of high tensile, temporary cable and portable reels. :lol:
Or the fence technician could be a little slow...

It is normally not to hard to find out what line the short is on but then you still have to run that line.

I only have 300 acres here but that is still almost 5 miles of fences with the cross fencing I have. Up and down hills, across creeks thru woods. I have roads on each side of the fences so that my Grand Daughter can drive her golf cart but it still takes time!

Good thing about a large charger is the fence can be shorted for days and the cattle will still not risk getting out!

Latest posts