• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

In a shoot out "me" in the hay field????????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
I got caught up in a shoot out yesterday just driving into the hay field to tedder my hay.
As I was slowing to turn in through the gap into the hay field when a black camero came flying out on to the road. I noticed two black men in the car and knew right away that something was wrong.
I should fill y'all in on some background first. There is a house trailer in my rented hay field that the owner lived in several years back. When his mother moved to the nursing home, he moved in her house and left the trailer vacant. This trailer had been broken into several times over the last few years but not much damage are anything taken. Well about two months ago, we noticed that the outside heat pump unit had been stolen. Then about a week ago, some one broke in and tore all the walls out stole the washer and dryer.
So back to the shoot out. When I saw the car leaving, I knew it was the culprit. I turned in the set of the tractor to get the tag number but only got the first few numbers before they sped past the distance my old eyes could read the tag. I turned in through the gap and almost ran into the landowner on is way out with shotgun sticking out the truck door. He was yelling, "Which way did they go?" I pointed and he headed out in hot pursuit. So they got away.
I went on in the hay field and the owner returned about the time I got hooked up to the fluffer. I mention that this was about 3:45 in the afternoon. The two robbers had been ripping the siding off the trailer and pulling the wiring out. The owner had snuck up on them and shot one with no. 4 shot from about 35 yards away. He ran to the car and the two sped away but only after the owner had shot the back of the car. He told me that he would have shot more if his old gun had not jammed.
The deputy showed up about 45 minutes later and we gave out story. He said that a pistol would be better than a shotgun if we wanted to stop them. I plan to buy me a pistol with my government refund check when it gets here. You can bet I will be packing on my hip, with a permit, full time after the deputy recommended it. He said I was not safe working in the fields by my self, being so close to Macon County.

Well that's certrainly a day you won't soon forget! Maybe as well as the short gun you may want to invest in land mines, bear traps and hand grenades.
I don't envy your proximity to the unsavory types.

WOW!!!

Ahhhh...the country life!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Things have been pretty quiet here since one crook ( my truck thief) is doing 10 yrs time, another druggie/thief got hit and killed by a car ( right in front of my driveway)...and another tried to play chicken with a F350!!!

I bet that #4 shot's gonna get to hurtin'!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TXTibbs said:
alabama said:
The two robbers had been ripping the siding off the trailer and pulling the wiring out.

Is there a big demand for "wiring" in Alabama? :lol: :???:

Copper is in high demand by thieves EVERYWHERE. They can sell it easy...the prices are high on copper .

Practically every church here has lost it's outside AC unit to thieves.

Easy drug money.

kolanuraven said:
TXTibbs said:
alabama said:
The two robbers had been ripping the siding off the trailer and pulling the wiring out.

Is there a big demand for "wiring" in Alabama? :lol: :???:

Copper is in high demand by thieves EVERYWHERE. They can sell it easy...the prices are high on copper .

Practically every church here has lost it's outside AC unit to thieves.

Easy drug money.

Oh yeah never thought of it being copper....

Well with that buckshot in his rear maybe they won't be back....but when they come back they will prolly be packing to so be carefull!!!

I have been shoping for a pistol today. I have shotgun I carry in the pickup and bought some buck shot today. All I had was # 7 shot.
The pistol will be much easer to carry on the tractor and working on the farm than my shotgun. But the shotgun will stay with me as much as I can.
If they have to steal copper to keep up a drug habbit how can they aford a gun? I bet they have one though. Or they will if they come back.

alabama said:
I have been shoping for a pistol today. I have shotgun I carry in the pickup and bought some buck shot today. All I had was # 7 shot.
The pistol will be much easer to carry on the tractor and working on the farm than my shotgun. But the shotgun will stay with me as much as I can.
If they have to steal copper to keep up a drug habbit how can they aford a gun? I bet they have one though. Or they will if they come back.

Copper prices here are OUTRAGEOUS!! In fact, we cleaned out the barn of old rolls of wire saved from this and that project over the years. Decided we'd clean it out before we got cleaned out. A short bed pickup bed full....but not over the top full....was over $800! It was just random wire...not even stripped .

Here they are going into homes that are under const. and taking the wire out.....AC units......even some wires taken off tractors left in the hay fields etc.....drug habits make people desperate for sure.

These homemade drugs ( meth etc) are cheap and a couple of bucks will keep'em buzzin' for days.

When the guy got hit here @ the house he had over 1lb of meth on him when they rolled him over. Cops said that was enough to keep hundreds of people happy for weeks.

A couple weeks ago in Austin, some idiot french fried himself to death tryin to steal copper wire from the city power plant. Oh well theres all kinds of justice in this world.

Silver said:
Well that's certrainly a day you won't soon forget! Maybe as well as the short gun you may want to invest in land mines, bear traps and hand grenades.
I don't envy your proximity to the unsavory types.
Maybe instead of bear traps...bears.... Silver,you can sell him a few,throw in a couple of those high priced wolves....Bama won't be having any more shoot outs or thieves in his fields.... :)

I will not be caught without fire power any more. I am a pistol packing red neck now. And I know how to use it.

As the old guys say SSS.

RobertMac said:
What'd you get, Bama? I prefer 45s!!! :shock: ...the hole is twice as big when they are looking down the barrel! 8)

Smith and Wesson 9mm auto compact. With a 10 round clip. I was lite and will be easy to carry. I will still keep my shotgun close in the truck.

A couple years ago I got an HK USP .40s&w, Very nice, a little large for concealed carry (they do make a compact), I went with a .40 over a .45 because they have very similar ballistics, sufficient stopping power and you get one more round in the mag. SOCOM has adopted that round within the last year to replace the 9mm.

usp_large_left.jpg

What you need for the tractor is an AR-15 Pistol, to my knowledge, they are clasified as a pistol, not a short barreled rifle. They have a short little barrel and a buffer tube just long enough for the spring and buffer on the back. Other then that the upper and lower recievers are a normal AR, therefore you can put a 20, 30 or 40 round mag, hell even a 90 round beta-c mag of 5.56mm. I'd like to get one at some point, the full size AR-15 kind of gets in the way unless I make a rack. It's got a lot more reach then a handgun.

AZ-C15P97S_l.jpg

Latest posts