• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

in case you were wondering

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Brad S

Reaction score
Several have asked where I've been, and I'd like to answer with a single response.

About 6 weeks ago I began feeling numbness ang tingling in my fingers and toes, and sought medcal attention after a few days. I got daily bogus diagnosis from ulcers to constipation for 5 consecutive days as the numbness spread and put me n a wheel chair and nearly imobile in bed in 6 days.

When I could no longer walk, the doc abandoned ulcers and diagnosed GBS, guillen berret syhdrom.

GBS is a auto immune response where the immune system attacks the nervous system.

cure is almost 100% via iv immunoglobulin or blood pheresis, but slow.

on the sixth day they administered ivig and progression of paralysis stopped, thankfuly before respiration was paralized, and subsequent treatments for 4 more days.

So now my nervous system must repair itself, and I gain strength little by little. I am cautioned not to try to rehab like strenuous rehab as fatigue may trigger more nervous system demise. I am able to walk, short distances withoui a walker. Never undervalue being able to perform bathrom functions by yourself, nuf sed.

No one should feel the least sorrow for me as I win again. unless i'm invited to hunt with the VP.BTW who the F$%^ hasn;t been peppere by
birdehot?

Sorry about the hideous typos, my fine motr control is tenuous.

Hope you have a fast recovery,Good health is something we all take for granted.Our prayers are with you and your family..

Brad, I'm glad you are on the road of recovery. I have been a nurse to many with GBS and it is amazing to witness the recovery. God bless you. If you want to answer this question I have for you I'd appreciate it but if not I'll understand. Were you fatigued from overwork before this happened? It seemed like that was a factor in many of my patients. Take care.

Glad your back. I am sure no one worries about the typos.
Did you get a flu shot or were sick right before this happened?
Your in our thoughts and prayers.
have a great day

Brad,
So glad to hear you are on the mend after such an ordeal. It must be frustrating dealing with the fatigue but I'm sure you'll be amazed with each week that passes as you progress.

We have a friend who had a difficult case of GBS which began when he and wife were out walking and he tried to rise up on his toes to see something and realized he couldn't. They think it was triggered by an earlier respiratory infection. It traveled rapidly, he was hospitalized but it kept on going until he could only blink his eyes to communicate. His was a very severe case for some reason. He was near retirement age which might have influenced his recovery. It took more than a year or more of PT for him. He is ambulatory now with some residual weaknesses. It seems a miracle he is with us at all. Tingling fingers and toes can be a prelude to many illnesses and are worth getting a medical check-up.

So happy to have you back on board,
Brad.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Brad S.
I missed your direct to the point, no BS posts while you were away.
Get well soon!!

Brad-----several years ago, i had the opportunity to care for a wonderful
young man who had come down with GBS......upon doing some thorough research, we found that he had "contracted" GBS shortly after receiving several vaccinations before planning on going to South America!! Many of today's vaccines contain a preservative that is known to play a major role in GBS!!! By chance, were you vaccinated against anything....like...the flu??? The flu SHOT contains this preservative, but the flu-mist does not...that is the MAIN reason why I so highly recommend the mist and NOT the shot!!!

Either way.....I wish you the very best in recovering!! Those of us who have seen GBS known what a long, tough road this can be for you, so my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!! Best of luck, my friend!!! :D

Good luck Brad, glad they figurered it out finally. We'll be praying for you. Got any new Clayton Wyatt strories for us?

Glad your on the road to recovery. Take care ,and have patience. I have had a few broken bones and have learned that one must look after themselves and not to worry about what's not getting done as it will work out if you take care of your self. The best to you on a speedy recovery. Michael.

thanks for the encouragement, i really am getting better,

The doc thinke I tipped off the malady with a severe cold and respiratory infection that, like everyone else on this board, I ignored and worked through. perhaps staff infection.

I;m amazed so many have heard of gbs

My wife has been solid gold, my big bro has stepped up, I;ve been staying with bro as my kids are fighting too many colds. I can still count my frends on one hand, but they've been huge

again thanks for the nice thoughts, but gthis aint no stepp for a stepper

Brad 1 true friend is more than most people have.

Try to teach your young uns not to work quite as hard as you do, hard but not quite as hard.

I just had that talk with my oldest daughter..she is doing home schooling and working basically fulltime. I told her she had lots of years to over work, just make enough now for what she needs.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery dude.

Good to hear you're getting better, Brad- Little spring weather may fix you right up--and now it is too cold to do anything anyway!!!

Sure been a lot of sick folks up here this winter too- lots going into bad respiratory infections.... I've been lucky but may have to increase my daily dose of medicinal brandy just to cover all bases :wink:

Glad you are now on the upswing, Brad S. We've missed you around this place. Good thing Clayton Wyatt is available to step in as your acting foreman. He will run things just fine.

Wishing you and your family the best. Our prayers are with you.
Soapweed

Sooo glad you're doing better, Brad S. I've missed your straightforward posts. Take care of yourself and rest. You'll be back on track in no time. :)

Glad to hear from you Brad S. I hope your recovery is quick and complete. We can use your common sense and sense of humor here.

Golly Brad, I hadn't stopped by the coffee shop for a while and just read your post. I'd wondered where you were and missed you - a lot! I sure hope you've gotten passed the worst of it and continue to mend fast. I've barely heard of GBS and didn't know anything about it till I read this. Keep us up to date on your recovery, will you? And don't bother trying to correct those typos. Some of the rest of us who don't have anything wrong with us can't type as well as you do when you're ailing, so it sure won't bother us.

Latest posts