• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Indian Names

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
A little Indian boy asked his father, the big chief and witch doctor of the tribe, "Papa, why is it that we always have long names, while the white men have shorter names - Bill, Tex or Sam, for example?"

His father replied, "Look, son, our names represent a symbol, a sign, or a poem for our culture not like the white men, who live all together and repeat their names from generation to generation. Also, it is part of our makeup that in spite of everything, we survive."

"For example, your sister's name is "Small Romantic Moon Over The Lake", because on the night she was born, there was a beautiful moon reflected in the lake."

"Then there's your brother, "Big White Horse of the Prairies", because he was born on a day that the big white horse who gallops over the prairies of the world appeared near our camp and is a symbol of our capacity to live and the life force of our people."

"It's very simple and easy to understand."

"Do you have any other questions, "Little Broken Condom Made in China?'

Being on the rez: we have to fill out forms to send our kids to school. One is on the name of our tribe and number, and it all ways makes for fun reading for the teachers when we fill ours out....

katrina said:
Being on the rez: we have to fill out forms to send our kids to school. One is on the name of our tribe and number, and it all ways makes for fun reading for the teachers when we fill ours out....

katrina- that reminds me of a few years ago when I was filling out the forms to get a B.I.A. deputization card ( give authority to investigate federal crimes committed by tribal members on the rez)...

When I came to tribe I put Fullblood Porcupine Creek German-- got a sinister look from the old BIA Chief, but a smile and wink from his secretary who later told me she has trouble with that too since she is part Sioux, part Assiniboine, part Irish, part Scottish and thought she had a little German in her pedigree too......

Got the card tho....

Nope, never heard of him. :shock:

Hey, Soapweed, where ya been? Did you get your calves all shipped now? What did you see in the market, better each week, the same, or has it slipped at all? I'm just curious as to the trend you observed.

Anyway, it had to be fun realizing the prices that we saw this fall.

Soapweed said:
Anyone know Luke Warm Water? :wink:

Soapweed I came across a letter from Luke Warm Water sometime back and will try to copy it below.

Long Running Nose
Poverty Park Bridge (West End)
Sub City, So. Dak.
$0000-0000

Dear Cousin:

I am also Indian. Some time live on reservation, Some time live in city. Lotta time humgry. Wounded two time Viet Nam. Now all better. Some time work on ranch for "white eyes" rancher. Like to work on ranch. Ride bronc. Like to ride him bronc! Some time go fork-ed end up! Ain't it?

Talk to "white eyes" farmer in bar. Ol farmer him buy drink. Ol farmer him say, "dam rancher, him goverment parasite, Raise cow on cheap goverment subsidized grass".

Work for "white eyes rancher". Ol rancher, him say "dam farmer , Him goverment parasite. Get paid for not raising crop he don't plant. Soon have whole country bottom side up". Ol rancher, him say "chief (all Indian "chief"), take pitch fork, throw thistles off him fences. Burn em up. Dam farmer him just raise dust and thistles".

Ol Congress, him subsidized too. Vote himself more big raise. Make more money in year than Indian in lifetime. Drink whiskey, chase squaw, drive Cadillac, raise taxes. Ain"t it?

Indian buy jug of wine pay day.........raise Hell.....................

Indian get goverment subsidized food. Ol goverment, him got too much food. Throw'em in ocean, sometime. Indian get wool shirt from Salvation Army. Fifty cents. Shirt made from goverment suvbsidized wool.

Ol "white eyes" farmer and Ol "White eyes" rancher, them say " Dam Indian, Him goverment parasite."

Ol Mother, her say, "That like all same pot calling kettle "Blackie"."

Now, me, I am wonder just who suck most milk from goverment tit?

Lee-la yoke-pee ota! I am hope you with Wah-ku Tonka Wash-teh in Happy hunting Ground shooting many pte tonka three moons before Wah-ku Tonka See-cha know you are left us!

Sincerely

Luke Warm Water

Faster horses said:
Hey, Soapweed, where ya been? Did you get your calves all shipped now? What did you see in the market, better each week, the same, or has it slipped at all? I'm just curious as to the trend you observed.

Anyway, it had to be fun realizing the prices that we saw this fall.

The third week we sold slipped a bit. I have decided to wean all of our black heifer calves, and take a "wait and see" attitude for awhile. Sold 24 head yesterday at Martin, SD, which was the remnants of our colored cattle, and all of our orphans and smaller calves. They still did pretty well, and the sale was considered higher than last week. Here is the rundown:

5 Char steers 649# @ $127.00
4 Black steers 486# @ $133.00
6 Red steers 491# @ $124.00
6 Black steers 396# @ $147.00
1 Gray heifer 495# @ $118.00
2 Black heifers 398# @ $135.00

The 24 head averaged 483# @ $133.80, or $646.18 per head. Selling expense was right at $10 per head, which didn't include my own "trucking" hauling them to town in our 24-foot trailer. I came home happy with the results of the sale.

Nice sale on the odds and ends! Bet they were good calves,just little different color or weight. The other day when weaning calves-one son laughed at my transplaned twin when the calf was born so small-well he did not recognize the calf at all except by his number tag and mother when weaning. Also have some orphans or transplanted twins that are a tad bit smaller,but still will bring a pretty good ticket.
Hope we don't pay for this mild weather at caving time!

Latest posts