• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

INFESTATION!!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
http://www.texasento.net/robustus.htm

Ughh they are everywhere!!!! The Central Texas Leaf Katydid!

I have a rather disturbing irrational fear of these and they are literally everywhere stripping my trees and scissoring their teeth at me whenever I go outside! It is awful....I fogged a low branch on one of my Live Oak's in my yard and 32 of them coughed and fell out. 32!!!!! And this was a small limb. They lurk around my house hanging from the eves and above my door and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Anyone else in Texas having this infestation???

TXTibbs said:
I think your right Faster....the little devils visit with each other and they ALL come to my yard! I don't see them hanging on my neighbors house when I drive by. I swear its a conspiracy. :( :( :devil2: :devil2: :| :cry: :cry:

They probably smell the dead rats in your attic. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
TXTibbs said:
I think your right Faster....the little devils visit with each other and they ALL come to my yard! I don't see them hanging on my neighbors house when I drive by. I swear its a conspiracy. :( :( :devil2: :devil2: :| :cry: :cry:

Man, it's funny that you'd mention that because I was thinking about that just a day or two ago. I wondered how he made out with his upper tenants!

And now this.

Tibbs, I hope it's not the beginning of the Ten Plagues! Do you "walk like an Egyptian"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWP-AsG5DRk

oh wow! what a blast from the past...I had the biggest crush on Susanna Hoffs , the lead singer...she is STILL smokin hot!

burnt said:
gcreekrch said:
TXTibbs said:

Man, it's funny that you'd mention that because I was thinking about that just a day or two ago. I wondered how he made out with his upper tenants!

And now this.

Tibbs, I hope it's not the beginning of the Ten Plagues! Do you "walk like an Egyptian"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWP-AsG5DRk

I haven't heard them in a while now and I ended up catching one rat up there...I dunno maybe that is all there was, but now it is in the 90's and the attic is like an oven so the rats I imagine have fled. Damn things.....now these katydids are totally infested EVERYTHING!!!!!

I read through the link you posted TXTibbs, and it looks like the solution is in the article. Apparently they are tree dwellers. Removing the trees should remove the problem! :D
I also got to thinking...... those were attic dwelling rats you had weren't they...... :wink:

Silver said:
I read through the link you posted TXTibbs, and it looks like the solution is in the article. Apparently they are tree dwellers. Removing the trees should remove the problem! :D
I also got to thinking...... those were attic dwelling rats you had weren't they...... :wink:

haha so what your telling me is get rid of my trees and my attic and I'll be vermin free? :shock: I have over 80 live oaks in my yard....Hmmmm I wonder if the neighbors will let me cut their trees down as well to avoid any drift across property lines. haha...thanks for the advice silver but there has to be other options :wink: :wink: :p .

TXTibbs said:
Silver said:

haha so what your telling me is get rid of my trees and my attic and I'll be vermin free? :shock: I have over 80 live oaks in my yard....Hmmmm I wonder if the neighbors will let me cut their trees down as well to avoid any drift across property lines. haha...thanks for the advice silver but there has to be other options :wink: :wink: :p .

There's always the nuclear option :shock: :lol:
I don't blame you for being upset. I think I'd be turning myself inside out right now if the critturs were in my yard. There must be a chemical solution?

Silver said:
TXTibbs said:
Silver said:

There's always the nuclear option :shock: :lol:
I don't blame you for being upset. I think I'd be turning myself inside out right now if the critturs were in my yard. There must be a chemical solution?

Yes chemicals are always an option, but I have 4 dogs and right now 7 puppies that are out there still and I REALLY hate to spread chemicals out there while I still have them. Because they will go knaw on something or one of the dead critters and get sick I'm afraid. I just don't want to risk it. Killing a million bugs wouldn't be worth it if it killed one puppy. I just try to suck it up and go about my business, but it really hinders my backyard activities........I do use raid and spray the hell out them in the front yard and car port where the dogs never get to and it works like a charm...there are bodies laying EVERYWHERE.

Chickens will clean up grasshoppers. Maybe they would tackle these things. Find a laying operation that is about to replace and buy a few thousand and set them free. You will also be mosquito free while they are around as well, not to mention the nutrients they will give your grass and the coyotes will eventually deal with them all. Hands off trouble free completely integrated operation. :)

per said:
Chickens will clean up grasshoppers. Maybe they would tackle these things. Find a laying operation that is about to replace and buy a few thousand and set them free. You will also be mosquito free while they are around as well, not to mention the nutrients they will give your grass and the coyotes will eventually deal with them all. Hands off trouble free completely integrated operation. :)

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

per said:

haha funny you say...I fully intended on getting some laying hens, but I'm kinda glad I didn't now....cuz with these beasts in my trees I don't think I could of brought myself to venture back and give the poor hens the attention they needed. I don't think the hens would of ate these things cuz they are in my trees and most chickens are not tree dwellers. It's just a bust....

Here ya go Ttibbs.

http://www.ghorganics.com/page12.html

You screwed up badly when you killed your rat. They eat the eggs . . . :lol:

Spray your trees and stuff with garlic oil. Your neighbors will be flocking over to visit you, I'm sure!

:wink:

burnt said:
Here ya go Ttibbs.

http://www.ghorganics.com/page12.html

You screwed up badly when you killed your rat. They eat the eggs . . . :lol:

Spray your trees and stuff with garlic oil. Your neighbors will be flocking over to visit you, I'm sure!

:wink:

HAHA...thanks Burnt...that was actually kind of an interesting and informative site. My poor rat....he would of had an inch of fat on him by now if I hadn't of caught it. HAHA...the garlic oil thing don't sound like a bad idea I may have to try that but I'd have to produce it in mass to cover all my trees. I'll need a big cattle sprayer to apply it. And I'm afraid it would just give em a bath and they'd prolly eat it and grow another inch. Does it kill them or just scare them off supposedly? Thanks for the website :wink:

Latest posts