• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

input on NH balers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I purchased 2 855 chain balers this year one for $600 the other for $500 baled over 1500 bales with the $600 baler with about $300 in parts the other baled maybe 40 bales got it at the end of haying and just had to use it It is by far 10 times the baler of the $600 one.It has electric tie with twin twine tubes the other has a single hydraulic tie. Not anything fancy but my cows don't know any better. I buy most of my equipment at a consignment auction.The weigh up scrap price is more than I paid for either baler.I'm not much on new fancy equipment old and used buy more land thats my idea.

Denny said:
I purchased 2 855 chain balers this year one for $600 the other for $500 baled over 1500 bales with the $600 baler with about $300 in parts the other baled maybe 40 bales got it at the end of haying and just had to use it It is by far 10 times the baler of the $600 one.It has electric tie with twin twine tubes the other has a single hydraulic tie. Not anything fancy but my cows don't know any better. I buy most of my equipment at a consignment auction.The weigh up scrap price is more than I paid for either baler.I'm not much on new fancy equipment old and used buy more land thats my idea.

When you got a lot of hay land to cover,and you are a one man show,the last thing i want is a break down,thats why i run new equipment.

3words said:
Denny said:

When you got a lot of hay land to cover,and you are a one man show,the last thing i want is a break down,thats why i run new equipmen.

Here if we broke down much, the hay would all dry up before we could get
it harvested... :shock:

Changeing a few tubes in the apron chain and a couple sprockets that were a couple hours fix does'nt constitute a $35,000 machine. Seen a brand new John Deeere skidloader burnt to a crisp a few weeks ago new wireing failed go figure.But to each their own I'll just keep ploding along one man show and all.

besides if one of yours craps youcan always hook onto the spare, if you haven't robbed it useless. when the new ones are down they're down . parts are about the same wait new or old but if you live close enough to a wrecker, that can help a lot

Oh their not parts donors each is field ready when haying begins right now one is ready and the other is needing a pair of drive sprokets $400 and a cool winter day in the shop .

All this talk about big money for a baler. I give 12000 for the first one on 2% interest for 3 years. Had it for about 10000 bales traded it off for a 567 with half the bales and half the years for my baler down payment and 6000 over 3 years with no interest. There are good deals out the on all brands you just have to find where the dealer stuck it to some one else. The deere guy told me they quit giving as much for trade-ins so the could move more used ones. Just my 2 cents to each his own. Kind of like the ford dodge Chevy debate. Like i said earlier price is right and find the things you like the things you can't stand and go with it. SB

We tend to run green around here, but I don't think you could give my guys a JD baler. What we round bale we have a Vermit that we bought used for $6800 out of the sandhills and she is a cherry for us. I don't know the number I think is't an xl of some sort. What works for some doesn't work for others and to each their own.. And I think it'll be awhile before we buy a Ford pickup again.. That should start a good debate!! :D :D

We baled a lot of bales with an 855 NH, and the tubes were always handy for other projects like chute stops. We replaced our Gehl (which was a good baler but hard to get parts for) and now have a 535 JD that we got privately on a lucky find. It is in mint shape and came from a place that is maintenance crazy. They sold it cheaper than we could ever get it at a dealer, and we bought it for more than they could ever get on a trade so everyone wins. I love it. Bales fast, although I am sure netwrap would be much faster. The other great thing is I can look up any needed parts on my phone (jdparts.com), call my dealer, order by part number and they pretty well always have everything in stock at least 6 days a week. Pickup teeth, and routine maintenance parts sit in a bin at the counter during haying season. That is worth a lot. There are 3 JD dealers (2 with great service) within 1/2 hour in 3 directions. That is the biggest reason we have a green baler.

I know my neighbour bought a 688 new,and he likes to cowboyize his equipment pretty hard and no maintance.And he still owns it and hasn't killed it yet,so they got to be one tough baler.

katrina said:
We tend to run green around here, but I don't think you could give my guys a JD baler. What we round bale we have a Vermit that we bought used for $6800 out of the sandhills and she is a cherry for us. I don't know the number I think is't an xl of some sort. What works for some doesn't work for others and to each their own.. And I think it'll be awhile before we buy a Ford pickup again.. That should start a good debate!! :D :D

Oh those med's katrina...I think by Vermit, you meant Vermeer 605 XL
(or something similar). That's what we have, a Vermeer, only it's an M. We like it a lot.

We haven't had a Ford since 1998 and hey, we're still alive! We drove
Fords from 1967 to 1998 and felt like traitors when we bought a Dodge... :D
(no debating on this end) :lol: :lol: :lol:

as far as New Hollands go, i think most would agree that the 688 is the best baler NH has made with the 664 a close second.

Latest posts