• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

interested on comments on the artilce link below

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'm from a totally different environment but have read enough to know that it can work. Just as long as they don't listen to fools like this ...."Jon Marvel, executive director of the Idaho-based environmental group Western Watersheds Project contends that grazing livestock on public lands should be completely stopped because "it degrades the soil, the vegetation, wildlife habitat and is negative for water quality. There is no evidence that time-control grazing works in an economic way." :roll: :roll:
It's shocking that after all the work people like Savory and the HRM centre have done over many decades people are still so un-informed.

Grassfarmer said:
I'm from a totally different environment but have read enough to know that it can work. Just as long as they don't listen to fools like this ...."Jon Marvel, executive director of the Idaho-based environmental group Western Watersheds Project contends that grazing livestock on public lands should be completely stopped because "it degrades the soil, the vegetation, wildlife habitat and is negative for water quality. There is no evidence that time-control grazing works in an economic way." :roll: :roll: It's shocking that after all the work people like Savory and the HRM centre have done over many decades people are still so un-informed.

And it is completely false statements like that from an anti everything group like they are that part of the public hears too much of. Grazing does work for erosion control, fire suppression and rejuvination of the ecosystem. But we as ranchers have to toot the trumpet pretty dang loud to overcome all the noise the anti's spew. What is real spooky is that the anti grazing crowd goes further than you might expect. Certain hunting websites i used to belong to had nothing good at all to say about grazing, even though it is proven to make better habitat for wildlife when done correctly. Grazing does work. And there are thousands of example to show folks the truth. If you dont subscribe to RANGE magazine, pick one up next time ya see it. They are out on the front lines for property rights and grazing. The sad part is since the project described is on public land SUWA or the sierra club or WWP will just sue to stop the process. It's the radical enviromental movement's first step. Take it to a bleeding heart liberal judge who puts the screws to it! Elections have consequences. Putting radical liberals in the Whitehouse means they pick the judges. They appoint the directors of BLM and Forest Service. They control the aces and have lots of chips. Thanks for bringing up the link. We all gotta make sure we don't fall asleep at the wheel on these issues.

The article also mentions "Wildfires". Sure there is fires but do they think that there wasn't fire before man was around. :shock:
They also talk about what has "Degraded" the range. Notice they usually never mention pavement? :wink:

Will the land benefit from the new style of management? My enviroment is totally different then the intermountian west and high desert so I am curious about the possible outcomes. The radical groups need to be gotten out of the land management decisions. I have personnally seen what too much rest and lack of use can do to the land in arid regions. Just look at the national parks in Utah and Arizona the vegatation is disappearing and being replace by open ground and less wildlife populations. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the management practices not the politics.

The HRM model is just what the situation needs. The greatest risk of degradation in this situation will be the recreationists.

Western range lands are very hardy and tough and can also be fragile. They produce great native grasses and browse when they have adequate moisture and rest between grazing rotations. But smart management is nessecary. We have been employing firefighters for the last 50 years that run and put out every lightning stirke instead of smaller natural burns that used to happen. Fuel builds up and you get Yellowstone 1989. Of course logging isnt the answer! :roll: But back to the topic, grazing is a wonderful tool to keep range healthy. We rest our pastures once in three years. Our range is thriving because we move the cattle as often as possible. We salt high on the ridges and in saddles to get the cows up out of the bottoms. We build and maintain drift fences to keep the cows where we want them. We install troughs and develope water to spread out the cows over the pasture they are in. The riaparin areas are healthy and wildlife are plentiful throughout the mountain because of grazing and the work we do to keep the ecosystem intact. This managment style works! Anyone who says otherwise has a political agenda, and only pretends to care about the enviroment in order to further said agenda! :?

Thanx Grass farmer for the great link. Leaning H you are manageing the cows to maintain and improve the land. I bet your range is better than what I saw in the canyon lands national park (moab, Utah) area. Most ranchers are great stewards of the land but can we improve or modify are management to increase production, improve the land and our bottom line? I know I have made changes that benefit the land and I am always looking for new ideas on how to improve the land and my bottom line.

It's great to see Holistic Management finally getting the recognition it deserves. It's a system that works anywhere for anyone. Even in tropical environments HRM has made tremendous improvements to resources and profitability for farmers and ranchers, although anyone I know that works with HRM has said that the greatest improvements seen are in dry "brittle" areas.

Latest posts