• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Interesting breeding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Well when the same genetics pop up in herds across North America I'm betting genetics is the trump card. maybe some bloodlines can't metabolize Magnesium as well as others-I have had a couple show an immediate and positive reaction to LEAD lol. I guess my point if animals on the same ration are within the limits of behavior and a small percentage aren't it's probably genetic. EXT is like QAS Traveller they were used on thousands of cows so they both produced some outstanding individuals-they also produced alot of just cows.

Northern, I really like your comment about the positve reaction by some cattle to lead!!!!

I wouldn't have any idea about Magnesium helping disposition, but we feed high Mag mineral when we graze cornstalks. Its good prevention incase they find where the combine spilled a bunch of grain. Your only other source of rescue are magnesium boluses and banamine when you find them "corn foundered". :mad: There's something else a vet was telling me to use with that concoction, but I can't remember right now.

sic 'em reds said:
Yanuck said:
Oldtimer said:
Heres an interesting bull # 15618775 that Sinclairs are selling in their sale...A son of Ext- who's mgs is EXT and who's maternal great grandsire is EXT....Probably either be a great cow maker or a fighting bull prospect extraordinaire :roll:
Northern Rancher will probably be the first guy in there bidding... :wink: :lol:
http://www.angus.org/registeredangus/

How can this bull be 14 months old and have some accuracies in his EPD as high as .40? some of our EXT cow are pretty ignorant when calving, and others are as docile as Herefords

The numbers are calculated on ancestorial numbers. ie Lots of EXT daughters produce well, this bull is triple bred = high accuracy.
In all fairness I hate to admit that EXT produced some good cows. Wild sometimes....yes, but there are some good ones.

Am I a fan, not really. I do think if he is bred right you can get away from the attitude and have some good cattle.

I am probably wrong, but I think it comes more from the 5522. I have two young granddaughter's of 5522 that you pack for bear when you tag the calf, but after that they are fine. You keep a stick close and your dog a way's out as a diversion, but they are good cows.

Ummmm, are you talking about the American Angus Association? you can figure out what an animals projected EPD's will be based on their dam and sire's numbers, but actual accuracy on their own EPD's comes from their own progeny, For this bull to have a .40 accuracy on his BW at 14 months of age is impossible :shock:

I've got a question for you all. What causes some cows, usually heifers in my case to go ballistic after they calve? They are dog gentle right up until they have their calf and then they become possesed by some bovine demon that tells them if that calf tries to get up you had better knock him down. It usually lasts a few hours and then you would never know it happened.

Is this a hormone thing or what. Or is the first experience of birthing just too much to handle for some of them? It usually doesn't happen on the rest of their calves at least not to that extent. They do get the label of calf fighters in my calving book though.

I've had two like that in the last 24 hrs. and they sure know how to test your patience. Anyone have an opinion on what causes this?

Big Swede said:
I've got a question for you all. What causes some cows, usually heifers in my case to go ballistic after they calve? They are dog gentle right up until they have their calf and then they become possesed by some bovine demon that tells them if that calf tries to get up you had better knock him down. It usually lasts a few hours and then you would never know it happened.

Is this a hormone thing or what. Or is the first experience of birthing just too much to handle for some of them? It usually doesn't happen on the rest of their calves at least not to that extent. They do get the label of calf fighters in my calving book though.

I've had two like that in the last 24 hrs. and they sure know how to test your patience. Anyone have an opinion on what causes this?

ARE YOU MARRIED? :wink:

Yanuck said:
sic 'em reds said:
Yanuck said:
How can this bull be 14 months old and have some accuracies in his EPD as high as .40? some of our EXT cow are pretty ignorant when calving, and others are as docile as Herefords

The numbers are calculated on ancestorial numbers. ie Lots of EXT daughters produce well, this bull is triple bred = high accuracy.
In all fairness I hate to admit that EXT produced some good cows. Wild sometimes....yes, but there are some good ones.

Am I a fan, not really. I do think if he is bred right you can get away from the attitude and have some good cattle.

I am probably wrong, but I think it comes more from the 5522. I have two young granddaughter's of 5522 that you pack for bear when you tag the calf, but after that they are fine. You keep a stick close and your dog a way's out as a diversion, but they are good cows.

Ummmm, are you talking about the American Angus Association? you can figure out what an animals projected EPD's will be based on their dam and sire's numbers, but actual accuracy on their own EPD's comes from their own progeny, For this bull to have a .40 accuracy on his BW at 14 months of age is impossible :shock:

Yanuck,
To answer your question, for example purposes only, how many calves do you think this bull has sired, (Hint: check his birthdate) that have been reported to AAA so far to get his accuracy for BW so high??? So "his" progeny shouldn't even be figured into "his" numbers yet.

http://www.accelgen.com/BeefDetails.aspx?naab=014AN00301&uid=345

The way I figure it, calves should be on the ground. But not too many have been weaned yet?

Yes, you can add the epds of the sire and dam and then divide by 2 and get pretty close to what a calf's epd's will be, but that is not all that is taken into account. Like I said ancestorial data gets figured in' ie. high use AI sires.

EDIT : also look at his carcass epd's and accuracy. I wasn't aware that AAA would take ultrasound/kill data on calves as young as his should be?

movin' on said:
Fad bulls and the people who chase them! Northern Rancher, you hit it on the head.

for a minute I thought you were saying EXT was a fad bull :oops:

Yanuck said:
For this bull to have a .40 accuracy on his BW at 14 months of age is impossible :shock:

one component you are overlooking is individual performance. animals can usually get their accuracy above .30 without any progeny. i dont know if the linebreeding increases the accuracy level possibility, but i dont think so.

Big Swede, any heifer that tries to kill her calf should be flagged as a good one to cull when the opportunity presents itself.

As for attitude at calving VS. disposition, I like a cow to protect her baby, but still allow me to get close enough to see what it is, maybe even throw a band on it's nuts and tag it. If they want to breathe down my neck and snot me up a bit while I'm doing it, that's OK, as long as they don't cross the line to putting me down. I'd rather have a cow in my face, than one that lets coyotes drag her calf off. We calve in June on open ground, so they have to be instinctual Mommas. In warm weather there's no excuse for her to lose a calf.

As for disposition, any animal, cow, bull or calf that chases me over a fence will get a one way ticket outta town, no exceptions. And Northern's right, lead seems to be the one element that works every time, on any kind, size, type or breed.

Big Swede said:

Big Swede-- my buddy, the Vet, says it is a hormonal imbalance brought on by calving- along with the confusion of not knowing what just happened to them :shock: :???:
He said usually they come out of it once they clean...

I've had 2 or 3 of those heifers over the years- that I had to grab the calf away from the heifer ( at risk of life and limb) to keep her from killing it- and every time by the next morning, 10-12 hours later- they were calmed down and ready to be mothers...And every time- the next year they were plumb OK...

I had a heifer the other day that was great to the calf- but when I tried to tag and band the calf- she knocked me for a roll- and looked like she was ready to take on a grizzly bear...Next day I went out and caught the calf napping while the heifer was about 20 yards away grazing and she could care less what I did with that calf- even when it let out a blat when I tagged it....Yesterday I rode up to within about 6 feet of her and the sucking baby- and she stood there chewing her cud like I wasn't there..

I usually give an on the fight heifer a second chance- if they're that way the next year tho they go to town...

Dido, to what you said OT. We've had similar experiences. I'd rather have an aggresive Mom than one that will walk away from her calf. I wait to hear that motherly moo, from a heifer and then I know that everything will be allright. If you don't hear that moo, then you know you're going to have problems.

Big Swede said:

I've had two heifers flat out kill their calves this season. One of them we tried to put with a bucket calf a few hours later, and she tried to kill it, too. Both of these heifers will get a free ride to town. My mule killed one calf that accidentally got through the fence into the horse pasture. The mule gets one more chance, but he did get exiled to a secluded corral.

I had a cow having her 2nd calf act like that about a week ago. She'd kick the calf when it tried to nurse and butt it with her head and knock it down. The calf was one persistent little varmint and kept trying and finally she gave in and let it nurse. She acts fine now and is real protective of her calf. I thought for awhile I would have to give her the old 2x4 treatment. :lol:

Big Swede said:

I might have as much experience with this as anyone. When I started AIing, I used an ABS bull called Rito 2100. He was their showcase bull at the time and I was inexperienced. I bred 250 cows to him for 3 years straight. By the time I was done calving the first crop of heifers, I knew more about him than I wanted to.

10-20% of each of those 3 heifers crops were bad mothers. They run the gammit from calf killers to those that just weren't interested. I can't answer your initial question Big Swede because I do not know the reason why they were poor mothers, just that they were. I experimented by keeping them all for another year. They each did it again, so they all ended up in town.

The balance each group were good mothers and lasted a long time in our herd. I am convinced that it is hereditary. After I quit using Rito 2100 I got along well with other sires, but eventually ran into another bull with the same trait. Once again, after using him for two years and when his first heifers calved, there it was again and both crops of heifers had the problem.

However, I did learn how to handle them. Keep plenty of tranquilizer handy. Dose them heavy and let it take effect. Once she is sedated adequately enough, put the calf in the pen with her. If the calf is ready to suck, she will stand for it. By the next day, she should be OK to go. I always had to chuckle to see a glazed eyed heifer practically leaning against the side of the pen allowing the calf she hated moments before, to suck her willingly. I only had one or two heifers that this did not work on and they had to be sold.

I agree with you. This is a most disgusting trait and is largely why I gave up AIing. Among other reasons, I decided that I could make these kind of mistakes much cheaper and easier without AI.

I also blame the Angus Breed Association for allowing mothering ability traits like this to go on. I realize that those who have a lot of money invested in promoting a bull will not want to expose these things, but it is certainly a blemish on what is considered to be a maternal breed.

Triangle Bar said:
I had a cow having her 2nd calf act like that about a week ago. She'd kick the calf when it tried to nurse and butt it with her head and knock it down. The calf was one persistent little varmint and kept trying and finally she gave in and let it nurse. She acts fine now and is real protective of her calf. I thought for awhile I would have to give her the old 2x4 treatment. :lol:

2x4 treatment made me laff we were shipping some stockers the other day and one kept blowing over us in the alley.My hired man had a 2x4 about 3 ft. long dropped him with one hit when he came too we walked him into the trailer.He's someone else's problem now.

Hey JF I can sympathize with you on the AI experience. Back when I first started AIing I got tied in with a very popular and reputable Angus breeder who offered me free semen on prospective heifer bulls for progeny testing. This was back before ultrasound was used for carcass evaluation. Anyway, I thought it was a great deal because I assumed AIing would get me some super females, the main reason I have ever used AI. Well I'm sure you guessed what happened. Calving ease wasn't a problem but every thing else was. Disposition, udders, feet, structure, you name it and was bad.

Live and learn I guess. Experience is a wonderful teacher.

But laddies it's canny and thrifty to A'I to a good bull for many years-in fact I've got a lifetime supply of a couple black bulls in my tank right now. i have a feeling it will take me a long time to get sick of Lad daughters too.

Oldtimer said:
Heres an interesting bull # 15618775 that Sinclairs are selling in their sale...A son of Ext- who's mgs is EXT and who's maternal great grandsire is EXT....Probably either be a great cow maker or a fighting bull prospect extraordinaire :roll:
Northern Rancher will probably be the first guy in there bidding... :wink: :lol:
http://www.angus.org/registeredangus/

I got tied up working on the trailer and calving and missed the first 80 lots sell- this bull was #14 so don't know what he brought- or if NR got him :wink: :lol: :p ....
I also missed the N Bar Prime Times sell....

I did catch the Legacy 3R9 sons's sell tho- and they did good, averaging around $3000.....

Lot4- an EXT son with RR Rito 707 as mgs sold for $80000 to Dave Duncan Wa--- lot52 a Sinclair Extra 4X13 son with Emulation 5522 mgs sold for $20000 ---- lot53 another Extra 4X13 son with EXT as mgs sold for $28000 to RADCLIFF OK....

This triple bred EXT sold for $3250- but I still don't know if NR or Hanta bought him :???: :wink: :lol: :p

we actually formed a syndicate and bought him-we'll be displaying him to police swat teams throughout north america so they can recognize the signs of something winged out on crystal meth. I'm thinking the Angus breed has one foot on a greasy banana peel lol.

Latest posts