• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Interesting observation

Help Support Ranchers.net:

feeder

Reaction score
A USA citizen was in a grocery store in Canada and observed the meat counter. Beef labeled "from Canada" and also Beef labeled "from NewZealand" The New Zealand section was larger than the Canadian section. He asked the employee why New Zealand section was larger than the Canadian section. He was told the consumers were demanding BSE free beef and New Zealand is a BSE free country. There were only a few packages of beef labeled USA. He asked if he could take a picture of the meat counter but the store refused to allow him. I just want to know if this is truly the way it is in Canada or just parts of Canada.

It must be just some places as I haven't seen it in any grocery stores I have been in. I will sure be looking more closely to see if it is.It is quite possible but Canadian consumers have really been good about supporting us and beef consumption went up.

To be honest with you I have never seen anything like this.I rarely get into a big city grocery store ,when I do I usually do a drive by in the meat section just too see whats being sold. I've never seen anything labled like this at all.But I'm not saying it isn't happening,esp in a large city setting where education in this area seems to go by what the local newspaper writer feels is facts.

But like BMR said I see more support for our industry then not.

What I see in the big-box grocery stores is that a pair of Rib Slabs cost something like $30 to $50 bucks!!! While they charge that sort of figure, the price being paid to the producer is nothing short of criminal. As for NZ Product, I do not see it at all at my grocery store.

The only place around here where you can buy all natural, gras fed, hormone/chemical free beef and pork (not 100% grass fed) is at the health food stores with meat counters and some specialty meat shops. The beef and pork at the healthfood stores comes from NZ. This baffles my mind as there are plenty of US producers of such product, even here in Oklahoma.

While I am too small of a producer, I cannot compete with those prices. Makes you wonder about the quality and claims of it being 100% natural.

A USA citizen was in a grocery store in Canada and observed the meat counter. Beef labeled "from Canada" and also Beef labeled "from NewZealand" The New Zealand section was larger than the Canadian section. He asked the employee why New Zealand section was larger than the Canadian section. He was told the consumers were demanding BSE free beef and New Zealand is a BSE free country. There were only a few packages of beef labeled USA. He asked if he could take a picture of the meat counter but the store refused to allow him. I just want to know if this is truly the way it is in Canada or just parts of Canada.

We have been to a grocery in Grand Rapids Michigan and the Whole Meat section has seperate compartments for lamb ,Wisconson Lamb, New Zealand Lamb, Local Lamb , Location Not Known Lamb which the owner says IT doesn't move very well.

Annemieke said:
The only place around here where you can buy all natural, gras fed, hormone/chemical free beef and pork (not 100% grass fed) is at the health food stores with meat counters and some specialty meat shops. The beef and pork at the healthfood stores comes from NZ. This baffles my mind as there are plenty of US producers of such product, even here in Oklahoma.

While I am too small of a producer, I cannot compete with those prices. Makes you wonder about the quality and claims of it being 100% natural.

Producers in Canada, the U.S., or anywhere else in the world will not be able to compete when currencies determine price, not actual production costs. That is why trade agreements are important in the details. Domestic producers (not just livestock) have been at a disadvantage for a long time with the strong dollar policy. Trade amounts to nothing more than a confiscation of domestic production by the government under the current/past scenario.

I have seen where the word is that the NZ exchange rate and trade deficits (deficits for U.S.) are turning around with the drop in the dollar.

It might not be long.

PORKER said:

We have been to a grocery in Grand Rapids Michigan and the Whole Meat section has seperate compartments for lamb ,Wisconson Lamb, New Zealand Lamb, Local Lamb , Location Not Known Lamb which the owner says IT doesn't move very well.

Porker, are you saying just the Location Not Known lamb was not moving well?

Goodpasture said:
Can anyone tell me why all the lamb fries in the restaurants around here come from Iceland?

Because you have to soak them in ice before frying? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone for the civil replies. The husband couldn't remember what province it was so I guess my info on this end stopped! LOL Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I can say i always take notice of the meat counters in the stores we shop in. I havent seen anything like this anywhere we ve been. If anything in these parts people were asking and eating more Canadian beef.

I dont think I have every seen NZ beef here in Alberta. Why would you ship it half way around the world when you can go down the road and legally steal it from producers?

The only place I've seen foreign beef outnumbering Canadian is at M&M Meats, then it's mostly Argentina or some of the other SA countries as well as New Zealand.

Porker, are you saying just the Location Not Known lamb was not moving well?
Yes, Tex . The quality was just not there. Probable some national lamb packer.

The most popular was Wisconson Lamb, Some farm called Pin-oak ridge farm ,we took some home and it was great.

feeder said:
Thanks everyone for the civil replies. The husband couldn't remember what province it was so I guess my info on this end stopped! LOL Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I think it was in Vancouver.

Sandhusker said:
feeder said:

I think it was in Vancouver.
If I was going to venture a guess the guess would have been in Vancouver B.C

According to Johnny Smith, dir. of R-CALF, it was the pres. of his bd. of Dir., Mr. Thornsberry, who told this story. He claims he was in Vancouver and found this to be the case.

When told he must not photograph the meat case or anything else inside the store, he was allowed to talk to the man behind the meat counter who stated that because of BSE in Canada, some people did not want to eat Canadian beef.

USA beef was not mentioned when JS repeated the story on his radio aution market 'reports' the past two weekends.

I missed the radio show yesterday as I was travelling beyone reach of his voice.

Thornsberry said he wanted to show how COOL was working well in Canada as reason for wanting to photograph the meat case.

Many of us have run across meat counter people who were less knowledgeable than we wished.

It's too bad mr. T. didn't think of asking if the NZ meat was grass fed, or organically grown, as that may well have been the drawing card for the NZ beef.

Just a guess, but isn't Vancouver sort of "the SanFrancisco" of Canada?

If so, it's highly likely that accounts for the situationIMO.

mrj

Latest posts