• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Interesting poll about consumers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

O.k. , enough is enough. When you guys go to the grocery store and buy a bag of say, vegetables; or to walmart and buy clothes, do you give a $#@% where it is grown or produced? Or do you go for the cheapest price? Why in the world would you think the consumer would think any different with beef? Problem with believing the poles is that for the most part, people aim to please, and it is very easy to say what you think someone wants you to say. In reality, people do what is best for them (money/quality wise). Some people on this board may be very blindly patriotic, or unfortunately swayed by opinion poles, but you got to realize that in the real world not every one will blindly buy USA. - look at the popularity of import cars/trucks?

Bro said:
O.k. , enough is enough. When you guys go to the grocery store and buy a bag of say, vegetables; or to walmart and buy clothes, do you give a $#@% where it is grown or produced? Or do you go for the cheapest price? Why in the world would you think the consumer would think any different with beef? Problem with believing the poles is that for the most part, people aim to please, and it is very easy to say what you think someone wants you to say. In reality, people do what is best for them (money/quality wise). Some people on this board may be very blindly patriotic, or unfortunately swayed by opinion poles, but you got to realize that in the real world not every one will blindly buy USA. - look at the popularity of import cars/trucks?

I went to America Furniture Company last week and I looked at each and every piece of furniture. This "American" furniture was from Mexico, China, and South America. I told the manager and walked out the door.

I DO look at bags of snack foods because I got very sick once on Argentine Beef Jerky. It was clearly labeled as such. I wrote the company and they resolved the problem: They removed the information as to country of origin on the package.

We DON"T know if consumers will pay more for labeling because THEY HAVE NEVER HAD A CHOICE before. Are you that ashamed of what you produce that you are afraid to find out if American beef will be demanded more highly and thus worth more in the marketplace?

Let the packers and retailers continue to lie to the producer AND the consumer. Allow them to reap more of the consumer dollar ech and every year as they have been and you will continue to receive below break even prices as we did before the border was closed.

PS. The word is POLL, not POLE

If price was the deciding factor in every purchase made we would all be driving Volkswagons or "Yugos", and eating soda crackers for every meal.

Bro said:

I do give a &$%# where the products I buy come from and have made purchasing decisions based on that. In fact, that is my norm. I'll tell you, there are many products that you simply can't find American made.

Too bad about the poor quality of clothes (and everything else that is sold these days). I suppose the reason you bought them was because they were CHEAP. You can buy good quality, but you have to often pay twice as much. Obviously, price is no object for some people, but for 95% of the population it is. (I will admit that I will buy a HONDA small engine rather than an AMERICAN made small engine, so of course this may not hold true 100% of the time). We have to face facts. We live in a throw-away society. Demand is driven more by price than quality. Most people are now urban, living in their own little dreamland, not reality. Most people have no idea whats going on in the world around them except for whats happening with their own group of friends. These people will bitch about poor quality, but really don't care about where something comes from as long as it is cheap enough to fit in their budget. That is why MCOOL will not bring any more money into your pocket. If you want more money, adapt to the times, or sell out. Globalization and free trade is here, and there ain't nothing you can do about it. A country that is protectionist will be left behind by China and India in very short order.

Bro said:
If you want more money, adapt to the times, or sell out. Globalization and free trade is here, and there ain't nothing you can do about it. A country that is protectionist will be left behind by China and India in very short order.

Bro- Are you of French heritage? I surrender world -take me prisoner?

No I shouldn't even say that- the Frenchmen finally quit surrendering and said NO to the New World Order in the EU vote last month....Sorry if I just don't roll over and surrender all the rights and heritage I and my ancestors fought for and give them up to a New World Government ran by the Trade Organizations......

Bro- Are you of French heritage? I surrender world -take me prisoner?

No I shouldn't even say that- the Frenchmen finally quit surrendering and said NO to the New World Order in the EU vote last month....Sorry if I just don't roll over and surrender all the rights and heritage I and my ancestors fought for and give them up to a New World Government ran by the Trade Organizations......

Thats a good one!! Anyways, one of the reasons the french militant left /unions/students etc. did not vote for the EU passage as they are afraid that they may have to give up a few days or hours of guaranteed vacation time even though the money saved by the government would be spent on Seniors programs. Pretty self indulgant society, do you think OLDtimer? Can't say I blame them? Thats the point I was trying to make in my previos post - people will buy what they want, the ones with the most toys wins, got to beat the Joneses. People want to eat cheap, and to buy toys that cost more to repair than replace.

But this has nothing to do with fighting for your freedom guys, so get off that blind patriotism. The USA is a huge economic power but its lacking the natural resources to keep it up for long. Suddenly there are other powers out there emerging from the stone ages that are interested in these resources as well. As a result, there is going to be a LOT of give and take in the near future with regards to trade. The States cannot prosper with out a global outlook on things, trade coming in and out. No industry is going to be protected. All I'm saying is its time to come out from under the dress of your nanny state and get big or step aside. It ain't the hippie sixties out there in the real world anymore OLDTIMER!! I don't care if MCOOL becomes law or not, as it will not affect my bottom line, or yours one bit.

The USA is a huge economic power but its lacking the natural resources to keep it up for long

I would add Bro, that here in Canada, we have relied on our natural resources for too long, as other countries like Japan (no natural resources) have used their intelectual resources to become a world power/consuming nation. And countries like China have used their manpower to become the labour force of the world.

We in North America will have to keep one step ahead by becoming more resourceful with ideas and our product value. Patritism alone won't do it!

Cattleman said:
Actually Maple Leaf, I guess I posed my point wrong :oops: I guess I know that and I should just be blunt and say people should quit falling for them and spouting them as proof to support their arguments!

Cattleman, I would have to argue with your logic that the consumer will just buy what is less expensive. I know for a fact that there are a number of people out there who are willing to forgo fast food, snack foods, etc in order to be able to buy beef. I also know there a quite a few people out there who routinely buy American when it is available. I am one of them. I truly believe that COOL will benefit the American beef market, if we can get this BSE thing under control. Otherwise, I'm afraid it will benefit the Canadian beef market as they pretty much have this BSE thing under control.

Jeannie, I know there are those types of people out there who buy the "good stuff" or "Domestic" produce, but what about the average citizen, and remember the income level of the average person. There are a lot of people out there just thinking about surviving and getting by day to day that only worry about stretching the money they have, not where what they buy comes from. These are all our consumers too! Maybe if they are only buying ground beef, and if they splurge on a steak they will be looking at the price.

Cattleman said:
Jeannie, I know there are those types of people out there who buy the "good stuff" or "Domestic" produce, but what about the average citizen, and remember the income level of the average person. There are a lot of people out there just thinking about surviving and getting by day to day that only worry about stretching the money they have, not where what they buy comes from. These are all our consumers too! Maybe if they are only buying ground beef, and if they splurge on a steak they will be looking at the price.

Cattleman- My argument to that is that even if they are buying a "cheaper" product, shouldn't they have the abiliy to know what country it came from-- or should only the well to do that can afford branded beef have that "privilege"...The United States Government should not be supporting a fraud that allows packers and retailers to pass off meat from 37 countries as a US product to consumers...

We will never know the true effects of M-COOL until its instituted- but I am of the opinion that most consumers are completely unaware that what they purchase could be foreign-most can't figure out why a country that raises as many cattle and as much beef would import in the first place- most would also tell you they've never eaten Canadian beef or imported beef because they have been defrauded for so many years......You may be surprised by the number of persons that will pay a little more to buy USA product......

Some interesting posts on this thread.

Sounds as tho price/lowest cost is the only consideration of all consumers in some minds. Not sure that is true. Maybe for some........but.........what of popularity of items, buying the "in" thing/style/product? Especially re. clothing and other consumer products than food? Many people seem to want the latest style clothing and other products, and realizing styles change quickly, are less interested in quality than in "the look". Very few under maybe age 40 or even a little older, take time or have the expertise to mend even the simplest seam or sew on a button.

Re. food, expecially beef, some of you sound as though NO labelled product is available. From what I read such products known to be produced in the USA are going out pretty fast, if they are not priced ridiculously high. In fact, it all must be moving as it doesn't store well for long, does it?

Reader, your comment "From a security standpoint, the world gets better as more nations prosper" is so accurate, but I would add that more freedom and democratization allowed the populace of those nations, however small in degree or however subtle in effect in a nation, has even more to do with it than prosperity. We shouldn't forget that the major difference between the USA and many other nations is the degree of personal freedoms and the right to own property that we enjoy here. That, plus the fact that anyone living in the USA, no matter their "class", level (or even lack) of prosperity and education, can acquire real wealth if they work at it, make good life choices, and have even miminal "luck".

MRJ

Oldtimer, I am not going ot debate about MCOOL. Giving the consumer more information about where their product comes from is okay too. But why are we putting all sorts of extra costs into the system to supply consumers with information which they have not really asked for, and I don't think many are willing to pay for? Producers are going to pay for this too, I don't want more costs.

Maybe I missed it, but when was the big lobby which was 100% driven by consumers asking for more information for food labeling to learn about where there food was produced?

Cattleman said:

You might be surprised what the 'average' person can afford if they want it. I've lived in big cities for a number of years, and madame 'average' housewife buys quite a bit of beef, enough that the beef counter had limited selections on the mid-range cuts. I'm not talking filet mignon or prime rib here, but rib-eyes, t-bones, better roasts, etc disappear at a pretty good rate. Most families can't afford beef every night, but they generally manage it once or twice a week. This is only from my experience at the supermarket, not studies or surveys or anything like that.

Latest posts