• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Interesting Read

Help Support Ranchers.net:

littlejoe said:
What do newer mowers have for guards?

Still got a farmall A with mounted mower here--'36 or so---mow driveway and ditches very occasionally with it. Single heavy guard with ledger plate.

Mine have a double guard similar to a swather. No replaceable ledger on them.

I think next hay season (if I'm still alive) I'm going to come up and watch you folks work hay. Maybe one of you will put me on a swather and turn me loose for a day or so.

lavacarancher said:
I think next hay season (if I'm still alive) I'm going to come up and watch you folks work hay. Maybe one of you will put me on a swather and turn me loose for a day or so.

I would put you on a double 9 Kosch for a month :D

Here is our new cutter running this week.
Just turn your head sideways... I was going too fast to remember to turn the phone or look back.
https://www.facebook.com/sean.mcgrath.1485/videos/10155964693764624/
This was greenfeed at 10mph. I got onto a hayfield after and averaged 12.5.
Since we moved to a discbine, I will never go back to a regular cutter bar. I can change the entire length of knives fort less than the cost of a single guard on our old haybine, and if the field is smooth you can really motor. If it is not smooth I have to slow down to 6 mph.
After wrecking our JD this summer, I upgraded to this new Pottinger. It was less than 1/2 the cost of a JD, and is built at least equally as well, and the conditioner is a lot better. Has an extra bar behind the cutter head for rock protection.

That said, we have had not a lot of rain this year and dad has been cutting prairie with a David Brown and a NH sickle mower. I think at 81 years old, the nostalgia makes it his happy place. The Massey rake is a 1955 (I think) that is worth exactly the same amount of cash as the day it was new. It looks pretty good compared to the 1/4 to 1/2 bale per acre on the tame stuff.

DlNtn9TVsAA6gSK.jpg

DlO01CWU4AIE1Bg.jpg

Big Muddy rancher said:
lavacarancher said:

I would put you on a double 9 Kosch for a month :D
I may take you up on that. When do you start working hay? If everything is just right we can a cutting in by early June but that doesn't happen very often.

Latest posts