• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Internships

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Travis B.

Reaction score
I've lurked around these boards for a few months now and decided it was time to join and ask a few questions. I am currently a sophomore majoring in Animal Science at West Texas A&M University. I have been searching for some sort of internship for next summer but I haven't been having much luck. I would really like to find an internship somewhere in the midwest or in the rockies on a cow/calf operation or something like that. If anyone has any ideas or knows where I could find a good internship, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks again,
Travis

Travis..welcome to the board....can you ride, AI, drive equipment?, give us some qualifications you may have :)

I guess I should included some that in my first post. Anyways, I grew up on a row crop farm between Lubbock and Amarillo raising cotton and corn with a 50 pair commercial herd on the side. My dad is a full-time doctor at a cattle feedlot so during high school and on the weekends now, I keep the place at home running. Being involved on the farm, equipment operation is not a problem for me. I have seen AI done, but have never had the oppurtunity to do it myself, although I would be very interested in learning.

Thanks,
Travis

If you want to come to Mn in the spring I'm sure I could use you for a summer.

Travis B. said:
I guess I should included some that in my first post. Anyways, I grew up on a row crop farm between Lubbock and Amarillo raising cotton and corn with a 50 pair commercial herd on the side. My dad is a full-time doctor at a cattle feedlot so during high school and on the weekends now, I keep the place at home running. Being involved on the farm, equipment operation is not a problem for me. I have seen AI done, but have never had the oppurtunity to do it myself, although I would be very interested in learning.

Thanks,
Travis

okay so now other than "where", want type of place do you want to go to, commercial or purebred, any specific breed? when are you available?

I guess I didn't think this through very well before I posted. Thanks Yanuck for helping me out. It's greatly appreciated.

I am more interested in the commercial industry more so than the seedstock industry since that is what I grew up with, but I would take an internship in either if one appealed to me. I don't really have a preference of breeds in an internship since I think it would be easier to find one while keeping an open mind. I would be available from the middle of May(give or take a week or two) to the middle of August(give or take a week or two) since going to college is still my top priority in life and I'm not sure of the exact dates that I finish and start again. If I've missed anything else, I'd be happy to fill in some more.

Thanks,
Travis

Be careful kid taking advice from people on the internet.

If your Dad is a Dr. @ the feedlot....he'll have some good connections or the feedlot people will.

Check and work with your local sources and people you know before you start gving out your ph # and info to strangers on a ranching web site.

can't be too careful in this world.

That's the only advice I have for you ....wish you the best.

The best advice I would give you is get any experience you can ....whether it be purebred, commercial, feedlot, or any other set up.

As for local, being a bit north of you I know there are very few feedlots and fewer farms that would even consider taking on anyone right now or in this next summer.

As for trusting the internet yeah thats good advice BUT there are some long time posters here who you can check them out either on here or online and see there are legit.
Good luck

Swell advice Jingo2. Travis, definately great opportunities to gain experience working for outfits in the plains or rockies.[/quote]

If you are look for some internship around the area you are at in the livestock industory, you should try the USDA Market News in Amarillo. Our Texas based office is in the Amarillo sale barn. If you are interested PM me and I will give the man name you need to talk to. You can go to www.ams.usda.gov to check it out.

look up lone creek cattle co. in the sandhills of NE. They are a large commercial cow/calf operation and hire several interns every summer

Thanks for all of the advice given so far. I will look into all of the ideas.

Thanks,
Travis

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I also am interested in an internship outside of Michigan. Mainly Cow/Calf. I currently am attending MSU in Lansing. I work mornings at the Feedlot. I tried lonecreekcattleco, but they said no. Any direction you could point me woild be appreciated. I have a CDL, Master Certified Diesel Mechanic, working on my Spraying License, and finishing up my Beef Management Certification this spring. I could be available in late spring. Ill be happy to answer any questions you might have!!

BullDodger said:
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I also am interested in an internship outside of Michigan. Mainly Cow/Calf. I currently am attending MSU in Lansing. I work mornings at the Feedlot. I tried lonecreekcattleco, but they said no. Any direction you could point me woild be appreciated. I have a CDL, Master Certified Diesel Mechanic, working on my Spraying License, and finishing up my Beef Management Certification this spring. I could be available in late spring. Ill be happy to answer any questions you might have!!

I would look in the Sandhills Cattlemen Association. There are always guys looking for summer help.

http://www.sandhillscattle.com/

We take college help during the summer..... We are a small family farm with cattle.... If you want to come to south central south dakota call us. 605-557-3489. And we can set up an appointment for an interview...

Do you guys known how to fix fence and fight fire?

Yes am a volunteer firefighter. I can fix fence! I can even hammer and paint!

Latest posts