• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Introduction

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Evans

Reaction score
Hi,I'm Evans
I've heard everybody is on internet now a days so I'm trying to reach out and meet people that I might have something in common with.
I love the cattle industry, working horses,old trucks and haying. Like old music.
I'm not into change although I'm getting forced into it.
Thinking of maybe moving to Big Muddy area of SK. I see there is one member from there.

Welcome to Ranchers.net. Kinda slow around here lately, but it's always good to have somebody new. Unlike you, I don't like haying and I get tired of working on my old trucks - LOL. I feel the same way as you about change, though, and I ain't liking some of the changes I see these days.

The Big Muddy area looks like beautiful country for somebody tough enough to live up there. If you haven't already read it, you should try to find a copy of the book, The Big Muddy Badlands : Past to Present by Tamela Burgess. It's a neat look at some of the history of that country.

Well I live in the Big Muddy, Where are you now?

This place(Ranchers) is a shadow of it's former self, Some of us still check in but not many posts anymore,

I will check back more often to see your reply.

Thanks for the welcome you guys. Been having wife troubles. Kind of blindsided by it. Shocked really.
I'm in sw Alberta. World was spinning pretty fast. First thoughts were new range. More remote the better. Was kind of thinking about Rockglen SK or maybe north of the Hat in Alberta. Just looking to die somewhere.
I did all I can for her. She's like cattle prices or rain. I can't control her or what happens to her. I'm in better spirits now. Just going to concentrate on my 15 yo daughter and try to hold on for now. There is still pleasure in small things.Did some fencing today. Took my daughter into town for supper. Hauled cow water on the way back. We took the horses out tonight. Still have grass, cows looked fat and happy,stack yard is full for once. (Laughing ) I wish thats all I had to think about. We got through five years of drought, then we got rain this spring and she went nuts. Its always what you dont see coming that gets you.

Thanks for the welcome you guys. Been having wife troubles. Kind of blindsided by it. Shocked really.
I'm in sw Alberta. World was spinning pretty fast. First thoughts were new range. More remote the better. Was kind of thinking about Rockglen SK or maybe north of the Hat in Alberta. Just looking to die somewhere.
I did all I can for her. She's like cattle prices or rain. I can't control her or what happens to her. I'm in better spirits now. Just going to concentrate on my 15 yo daughter and try to hold on for now. There is still pleasure in small things.Did some fencing today. Took my daughter into town for supper. Hauled cow water on the way back. We took the horses out tonight. Still have grass, cows looked fat and happy,stack yard is full for once. (Laughing ) I wish thats all I had to think about. We got through five years of drought, then we got rain this spring and she went nuts. Its always what you dont see coming that gets you.
I will add my 'welcome to ranchers'. Glad to have you.
Sorry for your troubles. Hang in there, it will get better.

Things actually got worse. I wish things were simple. Can come out of this financially okay. Dont see the point. The money won't buy what I had.
Remember TV shows like little house on the prairie or the Walton's? Can anybody achieve this in real life?
Technology killed us. Brought everything bad about civilization into our world. Internet at school. Kids giving my kids phones so they have internet in town until bus brought them home and then my wife talked me into getting internet at home for my daughters school work. I just can't believe how crazy everything went.
If I had it to do over again I would have lived even more remote or married Mennonite or something. I think Mennonites pull their kids from school at 14 just before they get into the stupid years of life and keep em busy working at home.

Things actually got worse. I wish things were simple. Can come out of this financially okay. Dont see the point. The money won't buy what I had.
Remember TV shows like little house on the prairie or the Walton's? Can anybody achieve this in real life?
Technology killed us. Brought everything bad about civilization into our world. Internet at school. Kids giving my kids phones so they have internet in town until bus brought them home and then my wife talked me into getting internet at home for my daughters school work. I just can't believe how crazy everything went.
If I had it to do over again I would have lived even more remote or married Mennonite or something. I think Mennonites pull their kids from school at 14 just before they get into the stupid years of life and keep em busy working at home.
I don't know if this will help you or not, but my brother-in-law who is very wise, (because he's been through a lot and he is a child of God), told
someone in shoes similar to yours "you need to make that 18 inch trip from your heart to your head."
Again, not sure if that will help you, but it was worth repeating. Hopefully some day soon you will get to that point.
So sorry for your sadness.

BTW, My husband feels exactly as you do about the internet.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but my brother-in-law who is very wise, (because he's been through a lot and he is a child of God), told
someone in shoes similar to yours "you need to make that 18 inch trip from your heart to your head."
Again, not sure if that will help you, but it was worth repeating. Hopefully some day soon you will get to that point.
So sorry for your sadness.

BTW, My husband feels exactly as you do about the internet.
Yeah your brother in law is right. Its hard though. Lots of stress.Lots of new decisions and things to get used to. Everything drags on. So much uncertainty. Gets overwhelming.
Farming and ranching would be great if you didn't have to think about money. By money I mean markets, drought, machinery breaking down,interest rates,fuel costs,family troubles,etc,etc.
Then when things get going good the wife cashes out.

Some women can't take the uncertainty and isolation. There is no way you can understand why a person does what they do unless they communicate it. Many ranchers/farmers are not good communicators. Try to focus on your daughters, this has to be very hard for them too. Don't make them lose both parents. Try to be a good communicator with your daughters. Try to be positive. You don't know what the future holds. Many things that seem really bad now, turn out to be a good thing. We just can't see into the future when we are hurting today. Be patient.

I'm going to try. My daughter went from perfect to very different in the last 6 months.its a horror story I can't talk about on internet. I'm still trying. Thats why I'm holding on.
Hey there used to be an old song called faster horses by I think tom t hall. It wasn't really a song that woman liked asmuch as men so I'm guessing that's not where you got your handle from?

I'm going to try. My daughter went from perfect to very different in the last 6 months.its a horror story I can't talk about on internet. I'm still trying. Thats why I'm holding on.
Hey there used to be an old song called faster horses by I think tom t hall. It wasn't really a song that woman liked asmuch as men so I'm guessing that's not where you got your handle from?
I really like that song even though I'm a woman.:) I chose it so long ago when I first joined this site. I think it was because of the song now
that you mention it. I can't remember how long ago I became a member here but it was a LONG, LONG time ago. This site has gone through 3 owners counting the current ones, since I joined. It used to have so much traffic, there were traffic jams at times! :) BigMuddy Rancher, Martin Jr. and I have to be the most dedicated because we have stuck with it through thick and thin but we were about to give up on it, too.
Posting photos here became very hard, and I think that and facebook took lots of people away. We used to have a weekly photo contest, and Fightless Fridays, a day once a week designated so that we all had to get along. :LOL: :ROFLMAO::D

Glad to see mustang can post photos again now. He had given up trying until the new owners made it much easier.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, I agree on the social media comments, we were the happiest as a family before social media, and when we lived off grid in Africa. In recent years, I have spent some time doing consultancy work in places where there is no internet connection, and everything just slowed back down to a more relaxed place, and we went back to reading, gardening and fishing in our spare time. In the south of England at present and so back on the internet, but trying to limit this to set times. Sorry you are going through these trials,keep a strong faith and never compromise your standards. My wife and I have been through droughts, civil war, raising two disabled children, lost our ranch, home and country all in a day but have come through stronger than ever.

Latest posts