• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

introdution "better late then never"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jerry H

Reaction score
hello all
iv'e been reading on here for some time now and have posted some when i thought it would be helpful
well about us the family and i live in the panhandle of TEXAS yes i'm proud to be a TEXAN
my wife and i have 3 kids my step son is 19 and in college in amarillo our darling little girl is 3 and a handful our son is 19 months and is more of a handful than his sister
we live on a ranch and take care of yearlings for other ranches also on grass and wheat on a good year we'll have more yearlings than 3 men can ride and look at in a day but i handle the prowlin and doctoring alone for the most part
i work ahorseback every day
we raise,train,and sell kelpies for ranch work
i wouldn't be with out them as i can do a five man job with 2 or 3 of our dogs
we buy some horses and i get them in the bridle and sell them mostly at the ranch but sometimes i will take one to one of the better sales in our area
i have worked all ove the country wyoming,colorado,nevada,oklahoma and of course all over TEXAS
until later
Jerry H

Welcome Jerry.......Would like to see pictures sometime; always great to see how others operate! Would also like to hear more about your kelpies........always wanted one but they're hard to find up here.

Welcome Jerry,
Cowsense just gets excited when he sees the name of the place your from.
So little for these Hereford guys to get excited about these day you know. :wink: :lol:

thank ya'll
cowsense
as for the pic's i may be able to talk the wife into puting some on here for me as i don't even pretend to understand how this comuter woks
i feel like i'm doing good to check email and this web site
about the kelpies
the ones we have and raise will go ahead of cattle and bring them back no matter how wild they are,they will work them selves to death if you let them
some folks say they are to rough but thats just trial dog people that don't want to train a dog thats tough but once you have one of ours broke you have a partner you can count on in a bind
bmr
i can see where a hereford man would get excited about some one else having them as you don't find them much
around here you won't find many of them pink eye havin blistered bag gettin kind of cows
but as far as that goes you won't find many cows in this area as most folks here have yearling outfits
thanks again for the welcome
until later
jerry

Hi--

I haven't had a chance to see a good Kelpie yet-- but I don't think any of the ones I have seen were bred right or started right.

Love to see some pictures of yours working--

Theres a growing faction of the "trial " people that have wised up and are actively looking for more in a dog- and willing to wait for it to age and get some time in before they expect it to look good on a trial field with three sheep.
Mostly because of The increased exposure for cattle trialing .
Sure hope with the added exposure it doesn't get over run by Sunday cowboys too.

hello howdyjambo
i understand what you are talking about with trial people i talk to alot of them and i was around alot of them a few years back when the red river cattle dog trials were going on
the folks that started the red river deal were the real deal ranchers who wanted to go and compete so they could train better working dogs that could do a job
i have some dogs that would be copetitive in cattle trials and i have one that i could take to three sheep trial and he still woks here at the ranch
i have some good working pic's but they are far away or you just can't see the dogs because they are on the back side doing there job
i have read alot of your post on here and another forum
it seems to me like you have a passion for working dogs as i do
and it seems like you try to help folks when you can and i like that
i try to do the same thing
until later
jerry

Welcome aboard, Jerry H. Since there are only 3 of us working this ranch, we use dogs to help us (plus 4 & 6 wheelers :wink: ) Gettin' too old to "cowboy up" on our horses, but there is a place for our horses, too. Soooo we use horses, 4 wheeler, 6 wheeler, dogs to get the job done.

Hanta Yo

Yeah-- the dogs are my first passion
I'm in a bad area to find people of like mind that are seriously active with the dogs(excluding sheepdog trialing).
Hubby is a top cattleman- but
He likes a four wheeler that he has total control over with no extra effort.
I think too that he is so good with the cattle that he doesn't need a dog as much as I do.
I'm a wimp without a good dog to rely on- and the calves know it :)

I have too much going with the farm to get out and about so
I enjoy the internet
Figure if I talk about what I have done/ learned others will join in and I can learn some more-or relearn what I got wrong the first time .

Plus I know how hard it was for me to get started and balance available information- and how much I valued the help I did get- figure this is an easy way for me to payback.

thank ya'll
hantayo
i understand about the age thing "not me i'm still young and will be ahorseback as long as i can pull my self up there" but the man i work for is getting long in the tooth and can't get around horseback very well so he uses a four wheeller or as i tease him "a farmer wheeler" no offense intended
he also uses dogs border collies and they are pretty good i started one for him last year and they do ok though not as tough on unbroke cattle as my kelpies are
until later
jerry

howdyjabo
i know what you mean about learning to depend on your dogs
i go and help the neighbors a lot and they don't use dogs so i leave mine in the box until we have a wreck and they ask me to let them and fix the wreck
one of these days the'll figure out it's easier to start with them out and working but so far they have not
although the other day i did hear one of them say that we don't call for help as much as they did before i came to work here and when they do come it's not as much fun as it used to be because when somthing trys to run off those dogs just put them back and we don't get to rope anything
as far as getting started i know how that is
i grew up with head dogs catahulas and black mouth curs so the changs to hearding dogs was real hard for me but i had some great teachers that helped me alot and now i try to do the same for anyone who wants to learn how to work dogs
i too understand about staying busy and not getting out much they have alot of cattle dog trials pretty close to me but i stay here at the ranch and work so much that i don't get out to them to show off my dogs as much as would like to
the same goes with horses i like to go to ranch horse compitions and ranch rodeos but just don't have much time
until later
jerry

thanks jinglebob
i have seen the pics of your colts and they sure looked nice mabe one of these days i'll get to sd and see them first hand as i am always looking for a new prospect to start
i have also seen some of pics of the leather work you do and it looks first class i'll be in touch about that when i get ready for somthing new
until later
jerry

Jerry H said:
thanks jinglebob
i have seen the pics of your colts and they sure looked nice mabe one of these days i'll get to sd and see them first hand as i am always looking for a new prospect to start
i have also seen some of pics of the leather work you do and it looks first class i'll be in touch about that when i get ready for somthing new
until later
jerry

:D

also not far from them both is a town called "Black, Texas". Probably close to 200,000 black cattle within 20 miles of Black. Do you know what the local call someone who lives south of black? :???:

hi lilly
my boss grew up in whiteface
but i've never been there
i spent some time in your area about 20 years ago
dat working and riding colts a college station
i liked that country had alot of fun huntin feral hogs down there
still have a good friend that lives there he day works around there
his nick name is Flop
until later
jerry

hi murf
we live about 10 or 15 miles north of black and we will have a bunch of those blacks here on the ranches we take care of
sounds like you know the area pretty well
where are you located at
the panhandle is a big place
i bet we know some of the same folks
until later
jerry

Jerry
You must live east of bootleg( for all you non-locals that's between Westway and Broadview) or close to Sims. We run cattle around Friona and have a growyard west of town( white pens on hiway60 before you get to excel) Anyway we are for sure neighbors.

Latest posts