• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Irrigation in the sandhills

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP said:
Sandhills boy said:
thanks for the reply I think I know who, I have lived here all my life except for about 10 year while I work construction doing commercial wiring. Brent.

So who do you think it was? I grew up at Purdum, and can think of a few around there, and the ones that Ewolt's put in south of Thedford.[/quote

I was thinking it was the old keller or S&W place on the river by the old Jon Nieman ground, but I guess it has be cleared up and was Arthur instead, but a lot went on here including a pivot my granddad had put in and my dad put it to crp and it was sold years ago. But it is still pasture like it should have always been. Some of the ground works if it is somewhat black, like around Purdum and some river bottoms, looks to be BS to me I would rather let more experienced people do and not try to be a newbie at my age. What is invading us now here is the pivot peoples looking for cheap fertilizer( because I would guess it take a lot of it) getting hog confinements out of Broken Bow to set up shop with smell and make a pit to pump fertilizer, not good for the water in my opinion!!

we had corporate guys in here 20 years ago telling everyone that they would put the pivot on your 1/4 section. you allow them to put a hog unit on each corner, and they pump the lagoons out on your field for free fertilizer.... a win win situation for everyone..... no one bought into their plan.....

jigs said:
we had corporate guys in here 20 years ago telling everyone that they would put the pivot on your 1/4 section. you allow them to put a hog unit on each corner, and they pump the lagoons out on your field for free fertilizer.... a win win situation for everyone..... no one bought into their plan.....

I live 6-7 miles north the way the crow flies from one and in the summer with south wind and heavy air it is just like it over the hill, a very smelly situation. Has a very different smell than cattle. Brent

Sandhills boy said:
jigs said:

I live 6-7 miles north the way the crow flies from one and in the summer with south wind and heavy air it is just like it over the hill, a very smelly situation. Has a very different smell than cattle. Brent

I thought about Kellers/Neiman place, but I didn't remember any dirt work there. Not that it makes any difference now.

Tom Carr's old place south east of Purdum has been remade. I think there are now 8 pivots on it, plus a 4000 head hog unit.
A person can almost make a pivot work, if you don't have to do a lot of dirt work. On Carr's place, they buried a D-8 in sugar sand. I don't care how much money they sink into that place, it will never be a money maker.
I had the chance to buy 800 acres of that ground in 83, for $80/acre. I wouldn't work then and it won't work now. Maybe if I would have put a gravel pit in, it could have paid.
Part of the problem with crop farming in the Sandhills iswhere you have to go to market your grain. Back in the early 70's, we marketed all of our corn locally, through a turkey farm. By the time Dad had broke his back, in 83, you couldn't sell direct to the turkey farm. Everything had to be trucked out of the country, Minimum of 70 miles. Of course all your inputs have to be brought in the same distance. Makes farming that much more expensive.

Sandhills boy said:
jigs said:

when I was a freshman , I worked for a neighbor...farrow to finish 400 sows...we were the"big boy on the block" in our area.... by the time I graduated, if you did not have 4000 sows, you were a joke to the industry....

$11 hogs got him to rethink being a hog producer, and the neighbor leased his operation...turned it into a boar stud... they milk 300 boars now.... I can handle hog smells, but the rank putrid odor from 300 boars is totally sickening. it is just indescribable.... how those people work inside those buildings for 10 hours is beyond me...

jigs said:
Sandhills boy said:
jigs said:

when I was a freshman , I worked for a neighbor...farrow to finish 400 sows...we were the"big boy on the block" in our area.... by the time I graduated, if you did not have 4000 sows, you were a joke to the industry....

$11 hogs got him to rethink being a hog producer, and the neighbor leased his operation...turned it into a boar stud... they milk 300 boars now.... I can handle hog smells, but the rank putrid odor from 300 boars is totally sickening. it is just indescribable.... how those people work inside those buildings for 10 hours is beyond me...

You sure you aren't finally getting a whiff of your armpits? It would be good if you could cure that sinus problem once and for all.

gcreekrch said:
jigs said:
Sandhills boy said:

You sure you aren't finally getting a whiff of your armpits? It would be good if you could cure that sinus problem once and for all.

BAZINGA

Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:
jigs said:

BAZINGA

Wha . . . you mean this ain't jigs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

P.S. - jiggsy, you just got Canucked.

gcreekrch said:
jigs said:
Sandhills boy said:

the only time I sweat is when Debbie come to Kansas to see what a man really is..... :p

I thought about Kellers/Neiman place, but I didn't remember any dirt work there. Not that it makes any difference now.

It is over the hill to the north of the river and builds I think 3-4 at one time, they we crp, now they tore them up and I know they are growing popcorn on them I am not sure how many. They caved the bridge in last harvest with a huge corn wagon and tractor( year ago this fall). Tried to make the county put new one in but, it was not theirs. But it is concrete now.

jigs said:
gcreekrch said:
jigs said:

the only time I sweat is when Debbie come to Kansas to see what a man really is..... :p

You do have me beat in the belt length department.........

gcreekrch said:
jigs said:
gcreekrch said:

You do have me beat in the belt length department.........
I tried to swoon her and steal her away.... but all I know about hockey is Gretzky, so she went home.....

Latest posts