• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is it True?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
I just heard that there will be no more horses slaughted in the U.S.after Sept. 1. Wonder why that came about-if true that should pretty much make the wheels fall off the horse business I'd think.

Ban On U.S. Horse Slaughtering?
Lindsay Puccio

July 21, 2005

In three slaughter houses across the United States horses are being killed and the meat is being shipped to other countries for food.

In June the House of Representatives passed a bill banning the use of tax-payer money to support slaughter houses. Now a new bill, the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, if passed, will ban the slaughter of horses all together.

"We're concerned about the horses welfare and how they're handled and how they are euthanized. We're satisfied that that is being done properly. There is USDA oversight at the plant," said Dr. Tom Lenz, a Veterinarian and the former President of the American Association of Equine Practitioners.

Dr. Tom Lenz feels the bill will only make it worse. He said the ban could result in less humane treatment of horses. "These horses are going to be abandoned and neglected," said Lenz.

The bill estimates that approximately 60,000 horses were slaughtered in the U.S. alone last year, but the question still remains, were they sick and old, or healthy and stolen.

"Horse theft is a real concern and it does happen on nice horse farms all over the country. People can come in and steal them and you have to track them down. If you don't have a microchip in them, which most of us don't, then how do you find your horse?" said Kim Schmidt, a horse trainer and owner of Grayson Farms.

However, some disagree. Lenz said brand inspectors look out for horse thieves. "They keep up on horses that are stolen around the country and they inspect every horse that comes into that plant," said Lenz.

Still some people feel horses are not meant for food, or to be slaughtered. "Horses are a symbol of beauty and honor and history and they're pets. We care for them and love them," said Schmidt.

This move to Ban on Horse Slaughter is unbeleivable! I guess the folks on the res. will have to butcher horses out behind the barn. If we let these "horse huggin SOB's" get horse slaughter banned this country what will they go after next. We need more horse slaughter facilites not less. I have some great recipes for minature horse and pony meat!!!

Well I haven't knowingly eaten horse-crow a few times lol. But I can't see it being better to let those old horses whither away and die. It's no fun having to shoot one I'll testify to that.

On another note...i heard a while back (a couple years) that it is illegal to skin your dog nowadays!! So if you have a dog you want to pelt out and hang on the wall you can't do it (legally that is). To many damn bunny huggers in this world!! :roll:

TXTibbs said:
On another note...i heard a while back (a couple years) that it is illegal to skin your dog nowadays!! So if you have a dog you want to pelt out and hang on the wall you can't do it (legally that is). To many damn bunny huggers in this world!! :roll:

Why would you want to skin your dog that sounds pretty sick to me. take a picture.

Denny said:
TXTibbs said:

Why would you want to skin your dog that sounds pretty sick to me. take a picture.

yea I agree with ya denny. Now stuffin one would be neat. :wink:

I'm really surprised that this "horse fanatic" legislation was a surprise to anyone in the cattle business.

These anti-animal agriculture types have been working on this for many, many years.

And, yes, it is pretty obvious that banning slaughter of horses is just one step in their agenda to outlaw all uses of animals.

We in the cattle business need to get more seriously focused on who the real enemies of our industry truly are!

MRJ

Latest posts