• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is the obesity crisis an opportunity for beef?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pointrider

Reaction score
Quite a gunslinging battle there folks in "Just For You Gunslinger." In thinking about improving the demand for beef that you are "discussing," I'd like to ask all of you if you think there is an opportunity for beef in the current obesity crisis in the U.S.? To me, words probably don't exist to describe how bad it is.

I am on the road almost all the time, and I observe people everywhere. The obesity crisis is affecting all ages, both sexes and people in all walks of life. Many have reached what I call the "waddler" stage, and many are hobbling around on sore knees and ankles because of the weight. (Someone needs to write a book on the physics of obesity.) Still, all they can do is pack it in. So many people just don't care today judging by their actions in public.

Is it an opportunity for beef? If you believe it is, then how do you get someone who doesn't care to care and do something about it? You would have to get over that hurdle first.

Here's one for you pointrider.

Some of the other threads have been discussing the value of bringing in lean to add to fatty trim produced in America. Maybe us North Americans should be looking at ridding ourselves of some of that extra fatty trim genetically without loosing that high value interior marbling. Don't get me wrong, I am not on a sales pitch mission here. Our cattle will do it, but most all breeds could be manipulated with genetic selection to peel a bit of bark off and keep some of it off the waistline of the average American.

I say average American since your consumers are our consumers Rcalf boys :wink: .

Latest posts