• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is this thing a laundry tub?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nr

Reaction score
Took a picture of this in Nebraska and thought the images on the sides were so pretty. It has a door on the bottom that says "draft". I was wondering if it was a laundry tub. Never thought of them as so attractive.

Badlandsandsodhouse079.jpg
[/img]

I don't know if it is a laundry tub but it sure is pretty... Got a place on the side for a chimney to attatch to and the draft would be something to control the aount of air that the fire got... Pretty nifty whatever it is..

laundrytubwithheaterdraft.jpg

here's another view. Question is, why would they put a cow eating corn on a washtub? But I really like it![/img]

Big Muddy rancher said:
Say nr do you remember the Baldwin sisters from the Waltons. I bet that is their still that they made the "Recipe" in. :wink: :shock:

Surely only for medicinal purposes! They were the spinster, wealthy, proper ladies weren't they? You've got quite a memory for names. or trivia.

Looks like a cast iron pot surrounded by a fire box used for heating water. Looks like a hard way of getting water hot. Maybe they used the water to scald hog for butchering.

Still, it IS doggone attractive.

Prosperous looking place.......not....lol! I'll take a long shot and call it a feed cooker! Never seen one but have heard the oldtimers talk about cooking all the grain they fed to their barn stock. Probably is worth some bucks as a collector item!

Red Robin said:
How about a soap making tub or hominy. Do you cook hominy after soaking in lye or ashes?

Yes, it takes a while to get it tender even after the husks are removed.

Old folks call it "Samp". :)

Didn't Clarence talk about cooking feed? Clarence where are you--you hoo! That would explain the corn design.

I have a pot just like the one sitting in that old water heater frame.

Heating water for many uses.......hog killin, washing clothes, takin a bath.

Syrup making, lard cookin, soap making, etc.

I doubt that contraption had one particular use. Would be a wonderful thing to have around. Nice, very nice.

reader (the Second) said:
If you look on ebay, the antique lard rendering pots are the closest I could see. But they are without the actual cooker part. It's clear that this was a cooker of some sort from the "draft". What was the opening part for?

Wasn't the opening for the chiminey?
It looks like a handle or a step down on the side. A step to get in it?
Wife thought maybe for soap making .

It's a cook stove, for many uses. Dad had one here I remember it when I was quite young.

The tub in the middle is a cauldron and the fire would be built under and around it in the other piece. The hole is for the chimney.

Ours was used to boil barley and dip chickens for plucking. It was out in an old shed, so no household uses for ours.

The Cauldron is removable, but I wouldn't want to meet the 2 men that could lift it out. I still have the cauldron part but the stove is long rusted out. I have often wondered what to do with the cauldron, it is laying in the "we might use that someday" pile.

Jason said:
It's a cook stove, for many uses. Dad had one here I remember it when I was quite young.

The tub in the middle is a cauldron and the fire would be built under and around it in the other piece. The hole is for the chimney.

Ours was used to boil barley and dip chickens for plucking. It was out in an old shed, so no household uses for ours.

The Cauldron is removable, but I wouldn't want to meet the 2 men that could lift it out. I still have the cauldron part but the stove is long rusted out. I have often wondered what to do with the cauldron, it is laying in the "we might use that someday" pile.

I knew somebody on Ranchers would have to know. Thank you, Jason. Who ate the boiled barley?
As for selling it on Ebay- can you imagine the freight charge??

Dad fed a string of bulls for the Calgary bull sale with the boiled barley.

They were as fat as any bulls could be, but the buyers loved them. They weighed 1700 pounds as 2 year olds when most bulls weighed 1400.

I bet they fell apart after they got turned out, but the Calgary buyers still love a fat bull.

Latest posts