• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

It was a good day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Brad S said:
Great discussion about availability of mineral sources - fine line between economy and effectiveness. I might correct that FH can't "promote what they sell" because they sell both chelates and nonchelates. Lots of wisdom both ways - don't overspend vs better ingredients = better performance.
They sell mineral with chelates but do not really promote it as seen my her reply. Not trying to cause a disagreement but simply pointing out that you can have the best of both worlds. Better mineral, better performance, miniscule difference in cost.

WB said:
LCP, I am curious what your water source is. I am not going to tell anyone what to do but chelates are not that expensive when you compare their value of worth.

We have several water sources. Rural water, developed springs, two shallow wells, one deep well (artesian), stock dams and dugouts as secondary sources. Depends where they are.
TexasBred said:
LCP said:
I talked to my mineral guy briefly today, think we're going to try some Intellibond minerals. They are some sort of hyrdroxy trace mineral, which is similar to chelates in terms of bioavailability but not as expensive. I heard a guy talk about them at a mineral workshop this fall. Worth a try.
You may save a small amount of money (very small) but in the long run tests have already shown the amino acid complexes are the higher quality product. The hydroxy trace minerals seem to want to promote themselves as being better than sulfates which they are.

I'd be interested in looking at the studies. Could you provide some links? Thanks. I'm not quite a good enough googler to find them.

LCP said:
WB said:
LCP, I am curious what your water source is. I am not going to tell anyone what to do but chelates are not that expensive when you compare their value of worth.

We have several water sources. Rural water, developed springs, two shallow wells, one deep well (artesian), stock dams and dugouts as secondary sources. Depends where they are.
TexasBred said:
LCP said:
I talked to my mineral guy briefly today, think we're going to try some Intellibond minerals. They are some sort of hyrdroxy trace mineral, which is similar to chelates in terms of bioavailability but not as expensive. I heard a guy talk about them at a mineral workshop this fall. Worth a try.
You may save a small amount of money (very small) but in the long run tests have already shown the amino acid complexes are the higher quality product. The hydroxy trace minerals seem to want to promote themselves as being better than sulfates which they are.

I'd be interested in looking at the studies. Could you provide some links? Thanks. I'm not quite a good enough googler to find them.
Let me give you a challenge. Find me a study or a presentation where those promoting hydroxy trace minerals or discussing research with hydroxy trace minerals ever compare them to amino acid complexes. You're going to find that comparisons are always made to sulfates, not organic minerals really in any form.

Are amino acid complexes the same as chelated? I'm not really up on my terminology. From what I've found, you are correct - the comparisons have been with sulfates and oxides. I take it you have seen research that does compare them with organic forms? What kind of difference was there? I'm here to learn, really. I would be glad to look at the study so you don't have to be bothered by all my questions :)

Ok I did find one study...but it didn't really say there was a difference, and it was done on feedlot animals fed a high concentrate ration. So not really apples-to-apples in my situation.

https://www.animalsciencepublications.org/publications/jas/articles/78/9/2446

LCP said:
Ok I did find one study...but it didn't really say there was a difference, and it was done on feedlot animals fed a high concentrate ration. So not really apples-to-apples in my situation.

https://www.animalsciencepublications.org/publications/jas/articles/78/9/2446
Yessir they are chelates as are metal amino acid chelates and proteinates...Most research will usually be done with feedlot operations because it is easier to monitor and control them compared to pastured cow/calf operation. Ran a small scale test of my on with my dairy cattle a few years ago but nothing really scientific. Was mainly concerned with effects on foot rot. Results were inconclusive with the exception of tests showing that the cattle were actually utilizing a much higher percentage of the organic minerals even when used at lower inclusion rates as apposed to the mineral made up entirely of oxides and sulfates (no hydroxy trace minerals used).

Latest posts