• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

It's a Christmas tree!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Liberty Belle

Reaction score
Thought those of you on this board who enjoy Bob Moreland's writing would appreciate this letter to the editor in the Rapid City Journal this morning. Good job, BobM!!!!

It's a Christmas tree

I am appalled that there is a discussion concerning what to call our National Christmas Tree on the White House lawn.

I have just read a fine book by a Nebraska Sandhills rancher, Robert Moreland. The book, "Friends and Fancies No. 2" is a depiction of early Sandhills history with warm articles written about some of the people who made this great country what it is. In it, Mr. Moreland quotes Patrick Henry, the firebrand of the American Revolution. In 1776 Patrick Henry wrote: "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great Nation was founded not be religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For that reason and that reason alone, people of other faiths have been afforded freedom of worship here."

Mr. Moreland goes on to say "Fifty-two of the 55 signers of The Declaration of Independence were orthodox, deeply committed Christians. Christmas and Christianity are here to stay."

I believe that those few who do not approve of our culture and beliefs should step aside and hold their tongues. The White House Christmas Tree remains the White House Christmas Tree!

Merry Christmas!

MAE M. ELLEY

Rapid City

Latest posts