• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

It's RAINING!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
Yay!!! Almost an inch already and still raining!!! I'll take it, I'll take it!!! DTN shows more coming! Hubby says it might rain for a loooooong time! Snowing in Grt Falls area. I'll take the rain. YAY!!!! Been too dry too long!

:D :clap: :lol2: :lol2: :clap:

Its been raining here also, suppose to rain all day, but its been raining here quite a bit lately...

All I can say to you two is.....KEEP IT!!! We're sick of rain, trying to get harvest over and done with, and it's been a long slow painful process!

We just got cold, wind and a few sprinkles- enough to stop combining... I can sympathize with you Shelly- we're down to 150 acres of flax left- but the weather stopped us again...With the cool and dew, we can usually only get in 5-6 hours cutting a day- can't start til after noon....A Couple good days and we would be done- and I could start moving cows off pasture and onto stubble fields- precondition- haul in some drys .....

We want rain :cry: We do have snow in the mtns, we got about 25 drops of rain, and ALOT of wind, as usual.

I hate to say it Shelley, but with the amount of fuel piled up in the obscene amounts of dry grass, we need a shower every few days to keep things damp to cut the fire hazard. Need to be grazing a whole lot more cattle for at least a while. Of course we don't combine here, so it isn't so much of a problem. I hope you get some good combining weather so you can get done and move on to other things.

Oldtimer said:
We just got cold, wind and a few sprinkles- enough to stop combining... I can sympathize with you Shelly- we're down to 150 acres of flax left- but the weather stopped us again...With the cool and dew, we can usually only get in 5-6 hours cutting a day- can't start til after noon....A Couple good days and we would be done- and I could start moving cows off pasture and onto stubble fields- precondition- haul in some drys .....

We still have over 1000 acres left to go. Nagging little voice inside my head says we aren't going to get it all off this fall. What has been swathed for awhile is sprouting already. :mad: What a mess!

DJL said:
I hate to say it Shelley, but with the amount of fuel piled up in the obscene amounts of dry grass, we need a shower every few days to keep things damp to cut the fire hazard. Need to be grazing a whole lot more cattle for at least a while. Of course we don't combine here, so it isn't so much of a problem. I hope you get some good combining weather so you can get done and move on to other things.

Thanks DJL. I hope so, too.

Shelly,

I know how you feel, we ve gotten rain in the last few days and has brought combining and baling to a halt. How is your crop yielding out there? We were doing some of my canola the other day and it was 50+ b/acre. Then we pulled into another field of a different variety and it isnt doing 3 bushels per acre. Damn specialty oil stuff!!

Peas went close to 60, wheat around 40 or so, barley 90. The canola might be a complete write off, it's rotting in the swaths. Still have lots of wheat and barley to do, and some oats. It's just a matter of when we can get back at it.

Shelly,

Hope to keep the rain here, we need it badly. Hope you get the rest of your harvesting done. We had grasshoppers here really bad so they ate alot of dryland alfalfa before we could get to it. We couldn't get to it because of breakdowns on everything (equipment hadn't been used in a number of years) and the wrong parts getting sent. I understand your frustration! How much land do you farm? Is it all dryland or is some of it irrigated? We aren't farmers here, just try to put up enough hay to feed the cows for the winter. Last few years we've had to buy hay.

I guess I'm Mr. Inbetween. Can't get rain when it rains in the south and can't get rain when it rains in the north. I think it's been that way for east and West of us as well. Oh well I got my bales all hauled. Might have to buy some more .

BMR, if you have to buy hay at least this year it is cheap, alot of these guys that raise hay are wondering if they can even find a buyer for the stuff. right now hay is half the price it was a year ago down here. I can get some delivered for 60 a ton, last year it was 110 for the same quality. Just amazing what rain does to the country :D

6/10 here and realllly foggy. We were thinking it would be fun to go to Evans Plunge today, but thought twice about heading across the rez when you can barely see past the hood of the Dodge and the ratio of drivers that think it's plum ok to stop and sit in the middle of the road is kinda high.

the storm that rolled here in the last few days shut down our haying when were THIS CLOSE to being done....i spent 2 15 hour nights on the rake while the hubby followed me on the baler and still was unable to finish the last 8 towers of the BIG pivot!!! Danged if ya do and danged if ya don't...need the moisture, but sure would have liked to have finished the hay....now i getta spend my only days off driving rake again!! :wink: :wink:

I know its a headache out there but i guess a plus is that its elk season and a little water might keep the fires down. Its been drizzling here all day but its hurricane rain and the bad thing was our last rain was from katrina so i am not complaining the alfalfa looks better now than it has all year. Whew it has been dry.

Latest posts