• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ivomec

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ned Jr.

Reaction score
Does anyone know where a person can buy Ivomec online? I usually buy through valley vet but it never seems to be available anymore. All the other online sights I've found it's unavailable also. Seems like it's been a few years since I've been able to find any.

Big Muddy rancher said:
https://www.qcsupply.com/shop-by/brand/ivomec.html
Thanks but when you go into that it says it's out of stock too. I've seen it at Big R and Tractor Supply but usually only small bottles.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=ffe25fba-80cb-4d81-8e2a-bc1848a64ca3&sfb=1&itemguid=2c3e9e59-7392-40ba-9cb6-2a55b9f14b9c&utm_content=16532&ccd=IFF003&CAWELAID=120295250000090439&CATARGETID=120295250000466130&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzKjvtcbO2gIVD7XACh3WXgrjEAQYBCABEgIoePD_BwE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's genetics. :shock: :wink:

The Latest HOT Topic
By Kit Pharo | No Comments | March 29, 2018
I just thumbed through the latest DROVERS magazine. It seems that the latest hot topic within the status
quo beef industry is parasite control – with an emphasis on deworming. There was one article on
deworming and many advertisements for drugs and chemicals that are supposed to keep your cattle
healthy. In truth, however, the use of drugs and chemicals does nothing but create more and more drugaddicted
cattle. Today's status quo cattle cannot live without their drugs. No one gains except the big
pharmaceutical companies.
I saw a quote in the deworming article that I thought was worth sharing. Tom Craig, retired Texas A&M
veterinarian, said, "Twenty percent of the herd will have 80% of the worms." If that statement is true,
and I have no reason to think it is not, then I want you to consider how quick and easy it would be to
totally eliminate the need for chemical dewormers. The big pharmaceutical companies would love that,
wouldn't they? STOP treating your cattle for parasites – and get rid of the drug addicts. This will allow
your cattle to develop a higher and higher level of genetic parasite resistance.
Most of our PCC cowherds have gone two decades without any chemical treatments for parasite.
We have cooperative cowherds in a variety of environments from Minnesota to hot, humid, fescue
country in Missouri and Mississippi and all the way to the high-plains desert. We also have cooperative
herds from the southern plains of Texas all the way to the northern plains of Montana and North Dakota.
NO ONE has as much bred-in parasite resistance as Pharo Cattle Company – because no one else has
ever tried to select for genetic parasite resistance.
Quote Worth Re-Quoting –
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." ~ Albert
Einstein
Comments at: https://www.pharocattle.com/blog/the-latest-hot-topic#comments

Ned Jr. said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
https://www.qcsupply.com/shop-by/brand/ivomec.html
Thanks but when you go into that it says it's out of stock too. I've seen it at Big R and Tractor Supply but usually only small bottles.

Hey Ned Jr., are you after external or internal parasites?

We had no satisfaction with the generic Ivermectin this year. First time ever. About 500 cows were treated twice..... We switched to a product called BOSS, ( same as the old Lice-Off but you don't mix with water) and they quit scratching and losing hair.

Worms may be another issue later.

Kit Pharo,,,,,,, the Al Gore of the cattle business.

I am a believer there is a genetic factor to almost everything. But my memories of pre-Ivomec days keep me from wanting to revert back. Also, when I sell bulls and females into others herds I'd like for them to be as clean as possible. We only worm once a year and don't really have a big problem with either internal or external worms or parasites. I prefer using Ivomec Plus, My vet says we don't have liver flukes but my parents swear up and down we used to. Our fields often don't have water running into them but always have water running out due to springs. I think keeping the cattle out of those fields at times and using ivomec plus it's possible I could have eradicated them but I still like to hit them with Ivomec Plus if possible.

"Kit Pharo,,,,,,, the Al Gore of the cattle business." :lol: :lol: :lol: Well put, Gcreek.

Pharo doesn't deworm because he doesn't want to put any money in the bulls he offers for sale. :shock:
He is a survivor, I have to say. :D

------------------------------------
As for Ivomec, Ned Jr., it has been proven cattle have built an immunity to avermectics and they have an efficacy of barely 50%
for deworming. Works well for lice and grubs, but if you are wanting to deworm, my advice is to use something else.

Here is a link for some information that might shed some light for anyone wanting to sort through it. I have a lot of respect
for Dr. Don Bliss and that's where I learned what little I know about deworming. Hope this helps.

http://www.midamericaagresearch.net/documents/BeefMonograph.pdf

Pharo... People are either drunk on his koolaid or can't stand his philosophies, seems like there is no middle ground.

There is a guy here that buys a lot of calves and back grounds them for a while
he has had real good luck with, cylence pour-on
suppose to be different dope
we have had a bad winter here for lice
all that hair rubbed off every where
is a damn fire hazard

VB RANCH said:
There is a guy here that buys a lot of calves and back grounds them for a while
he has had real good luck with, cylence pour-on
suppose to be different dope
we have had a bad winter here for lice
all that hair rubbed off every where
is a damn fire hazard

We used Cylence for years on the recommendation of the Vigortone veterinarian. We had never heard of it til then. It is an excellent product. It was reasonably priced, too. We liked the applicator. We used it so long, we finally had to go to something else, as with anything you use over a long period of time. It was by far our favorite product.

I like Stockman's Supply too! Nice that you found a good source for Ned Jr., VB Ranch.

I used Cylence and liked it but in Canada we pay $375/ 3 liter jugs in the USA similar size jugs was under $90. I contacted Bayer about this and was told it was because of difference in Social and economic regions. I called Bull **** and there wasn't much difference between White Tail MT and Big Beaver Sask. They wouldn't talk to me any more. I now use Saber.

Thanks, It doesn't look like injectable Ivomec is available from Stockmans Supply either. I asked a owner of a feed/vet store yesterday why it was nearly impossible to find injectable ivomec. Her theory was everyone was afraid there might be new regulations coming and they didn't want to get stuck with it on their shelves. I don't really agree with that, I think there would be time before that happened and people would gobble up all the supply around.

I always give injectable ivomec. If I have them in a chute anyway I'd rather inject it. I've read the reason ivomec has became less effective is partly from people under dosing and the article partly blamed pour ons. It said pour on didn't always get good contact with the skin and was affected by weather. The low dose doesn't kill them and basically vaccinates the worms against its effectiveness, builds immunity.

Ned Jr. said:
I always give injectable ivomec. If I have them in a chute anyway I'd rather inject it. I've read the reason ivomec has became less effective is partly from people under dosing and the article partly blamed pour ons. It said pour on didn't always get good contact with the skin and was affected by weather. The low dose doesn't kill them and basically vaccinates the worms against its effectiveness, builds immunity.

Yep, injectable ivomec is the most efficient of the avermectin products. Why not use Safeguard drench? The applicator works pretty well and it sure is an effective way to control worms, actually eliminates more worm species than Ivomec anyway. I realize it isn't as easy as an injection.
Here's an idea, buy a feed through with Safe-guard and you won't even have to run them through a chute unless you want to de-lice
them. Injectible ivomec won't get external parasites either. Honestly, the feed-throughs with Safeguard work really well.
Hope this helps!

Faster horses said:
Ned Jr. said:

Yep, injectable ivomec is the most efficient of the avermectin products. Why not use Safeguard drench? The applicator works pretty well and it sure is an effective way to control worms, actually eliminates more worm species than Ivomec anyway. I realize it isn't as easy as an injection.
Here's an idea, buy a feed through with Safe-guard and you won't even have to run them through a chute unless you want to de-lice
them. Injectible ivomec won't get external parasites either. Honestly, the feed-throughs with Safeguard work really well.
Hope this helps!

Thanks! Definitely worth considering! I've never enjoyed drenching much but there a lot of easy ways to give safeguard. Something I should look into more. I went ahead and ordered dectomax again this year. I think it's a good product. I was mostly just curious if anyone knew the reason why ivomec injectable was unavailable now.

Latest posts