• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

January 4, 5, and 6, 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Wejustloaded35bredheifers800x600.jpg

We had just loaded 35 bred heifers that were sold to a ranch near Mullen, Nebraska.
NiobraraRiverlookingwest800x600.jpg

Niobrara River looking west
NiobraraRiverlookingeast800x600.jpg

Niobrara River looking east
Oldbridgethatsbeenherequiteawhile800x600.jpg

Old bridge that has been here for many many years
ButIshouldnthaveparked600x800.jpg

I probably shouldn't have even parked to take pictures. :wink:
Hardatwork800x600.jpg

Drilling a well in the soft sands of southern South Dakota
Nicerigtodig800x600.jpg

Nice rig to dig
Thingsarestartingtohappen800x600.jpg

Things are starting to happen
Kindofrougholdcountry800x600.jpg

Kind of rough old country
Inwhichtodrillawell800x600.jpg

In which to drill a well
Spearheadsupportcrew800x600.jpg

Spearhead support crew, which was vital to get the trucks in place to do the work
Thewatertruck800x600.jpg

The water truck. The flat thick bottom of the bed holds 1200 gallons of water.
Plentyofpaperwork800x600.jpg

Plenty of paper work, even up in the middle of nowhere
Puttingonthebrasscylinder600x800.jpg

Putting on the brass cylinder
Pipewrenchinuse800x600.jpg

Pipe wrench in use
Efficientcrewatwork800x600.jpg

Efficient crew at work
Anotherpipebeingputinplace600x800.jpg

Another pipe being put into place
Goodbunchofhardworkingguys800x600.jpg

Swell bunch of good-natured hard-working guys
Theyhavetopofthelineequipment800x600.jpg

They have top-of-the-line equipment.
Thedrillingrig800x600.jpg

The drilling rig
Watertruck800x600.jpg

Water truck
Theendoftheday800x600.jpg

The end of a productive day
Anotherdaymarkedoff800x600.jpg

Another X on the calendar page
Adaylaterthetankisfull600x800.jpg

A day later the new well is working fine, and the tank is full.
Silhouetteofasustenancesupplyingstructure800x600.jpg

Silhouette of a sustenance supplying structure

Fasinating for me Soap. Only experience with windmills for me is one on some rented pasture and it is near a ditch and is about 25' to water. As far as I know it is the only one working in the county.

How deep did you have to go and if you don't mind about how much does it cost for the setup?

Are you going into the Ogallala aquifer? How deep are you drilling? That looks like about a 10' top drive capable of about 120'. Is the casing stainless?

Thanks Soapweed, I enjoy the goings on at yours and all the picture poster ranches on here.

This well was drilled into the Ogallala Acquifer, not too many miles from its northern edge. Elevation at the well site is approximately 3215 feet, and the top of the water table is 51 feet below ground level. Plastic casing was put in, with three-inch pipe inside and a 2 3/4" brass cylinder. I will answer the more specific questions after the bill comes in the mail. We are quite fortunate to have such an abundant water supply so pure and readily available.

Great shots! It's not very often that you get to put in a new watering outfit in January. :) I like the 2¾" cylinder. I should pull easily once you get the bucket up out of the cylinder.

Thanks for the photo story Soap. I have always had an interest in water wells and water well drilling. I've never seen a rig so small, I assume because the conditions in our area are different. I would assume the smaller rig and shallow water makes for more affordable well water. Up here wells run around the $40 / cased foot, plus pumps and all the assorted other expenses..... and finding water isn't necessarily a sure thing. I had one drilled for the oil company I work for this fall. Drilled 1000' feet of dust.
Fortunately for us ranch types water tends to lay on top of the ground in relative abundance.

wdcook said:
Fasinating for me Soap. Only experience with windmills for me is one on some rented pasture and it is near a ditch and is about 25' to water. As far as I know it is the only one working in the county.

How deep did you have to go and if you don't mind about how much does it cost for the setup?

Having just received the bill (which wasn't quite as much as I thought it could be :) ), here are the particulars. The drilling went down 100 feet, at $10.25 per foot. Eighty feet of 5" SDR 26 casing was used (which is like PVC), and its cost was $4.62 per foot. Twenty feet of 4" SDR 21 .016 Screen Casing was used at $5.64 per foot. There is 63' of 3" galvanized pipe at $13.29 per foot, along with a new 2 3/4" brass cylinder 36" long, which was $571.64 and also included the plunger, leathers, and bottom check. Of course there were fittings, gravel, bentonite, and other various attachments needed, besides labor for five hard-working good guys, mileage on three trucks, sales tax, and a $75 water sample fee. My total bill for the day was $4,357.09. Not included was the actual windmill motor, head, tail, tower, and tanks, which were re-used from before. Hopefully this is of interest to some of you.

hell a guy could have water for that kind of money
seems like there gettin higher than that in this country.
whats that spose to put out for gallons per minute. with a mill
set up i guess you dont worry bout that to much, eh

Things are cheaper in your piece if heaven. I got quoted $7500 just to set and drill a 6 inch hole. Have to drill at least 150 feet because you have to seal the first 100 feet in this county.

I sell 2 or 3 custom modular homes ( www.rochesterhomesinc.com) every year and as such I have a special price with the well driller in Maxwell IN.

I get a 5" well up to 75' deep with casing, pump, pressure tank,screen and plumbing into the crawl or basement up to 75' away for $1,950.00

Anything over 75' deep or across cost $10.00 per foot extra

If one of my customers calls in on their own it is $2,950.00 base price which still sounds cheap compared to your prices.

Most of the wells around here are in the 80 to 90 foot range.

Gosh George is there anything your NOT into :lol: :lol:

I find it hard keeping up with you from 2000miles away, either that or i'm so far behind i think i'm first, or just don't know what lap i am on :lol: :lol:

My main enterprise for the last few decades has been www.greensboro-sand-gravel.com

But we also raise German Shepherd dogs www.germanshepherdkingdom.com

I have been putting up 2 to 3 modular homes a year www.rochesterhomesinc.com

My son has almost completely taken over all the farming ( 2,300 acres of row crops ) and he and his wife have really expanded the seed business in this area ( they are "Beck's" Dealers )

With all the heavy equipment we have we are always doing an excavation project somewhere!

I am well into construction of a public recreational facility in one of the valleys of my gravel pit. Should end up with trap ranges, and multiple rifle / pistol ranges from 7 yards to 100 yards. I could put in a 500 yard range safely but I doubt it would ever pay for itself. My main interest is three gun shoots but modified as I want rim fire as it is much cheaper and I want families to be able to afford coming out instead of a movie! I would love two "Ruger Rim Fire" competitions a year - - - fill up the local motels as they are 3 day events!

Probably sometime this year or next we will put in a 25 yard indoor range with retail. I pour concrete basements ( I dig and a crew comes in and places forms and pours and removes forms ) with 10" thick walls containing 6 courses of rebar. I have been to the building inspector with plans - - - waiting for approval.

Go to 39 degrees 52' 16.77" North / 85 degrees 28' 13.00" West and Google earth will show you the area we are developing.

My wife says I can do anything except make money - - -go figure!

I'm in the process of getting my wife and daughter NRA certified to train in "Basic Firearms" as it seems there is a real shortage of female instructors and some women are more comfortable if there is not a male in the area when they take their training. You can see my daughter in her Dress Blues on the home page of my gravel pit!

I'm only 63 and need to keep busy to keep out of trouble. I still serve on an as needed basis for the local Sheriffs Dept ( only called out once or twice a year ) and many of the full time deputies and off duty State Police will be working part time in the firearms training.

Now I have a 4 year old grand daughter and a 50 week old grandson so I have to keep them busy as I did with my son and daughter! Remember idle hands are the devils workshop!

You are definately one of the few that didn't waste all of their energy in their youth George. :D

MY FIL homesteaded this ranch, raised a family of 4 girls and had a bush mill from 1959 to 1978. Then he added a dump truck and 2 loaders for hwy construction work. 1987 he started a large logging show that contracted for the mill that moved in here and logged until 1992 when the mill co. and the govt. had a difference of opinion when govt tried to change the rules on reforestation. My wife and I bought the ranch from him in 1991 and her parents moved a few miles away to another small property where they built their present home.

At 60 he bought a gravel crusher, batch plant and 2 cement trucks to service a demand for cement in the area. It was at that point MIL told the neighbors that he hadn't retired but had retarded. :lol:

He slowed down considerably at 72 when he had open heart surgury and then was diagnosed with Diabetes but is still self sufficient at 81.

Latest posts